PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on practicing please

ShootTheGlass
November 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Bit of an unusual request this. What Im asking you, my fellow fretters, to do is to help me practice. Let me explain :)

I find myself wanting to play the guitar a lot of the time, but I find I get easily distracted and end up noodling around doing... well, not much constructive really!

Just wanted to see if any of you have a fairly well ordered practice scheme that you stick to? I think that would help me.

If any of you can offer advice, or can list a breakdown of how you practice, that would be great! :AOK:

oldguy
November 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
When I do have time and want to learn new stuff, I'll find a song I like but don't know, start it playing, and figure out the key it's in and the chord changes. Once I figure that out, I'll either try and learn the lead or find chord substitutions that "work", as in harmonious w/ the chord structure (relative minor instead of the major, etc.).
I also check Robert's lessons @ Dolphinstreet.........I don't know what level of expertise you're at, but for me there's always something there I can learn from/review, and come away knowing I've picked up a few new licks, scales, etc. :)

Katastrophe
November 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
+1 on Dolphinstreet. Robert has a ton of useful ideas to practice on.

I'd also look into finding some backing tracks to jam with and try new ideas out on.

Grab a chord book, and stick with learning a new chord shape once a week, and add that into your playing. Pick a new / exotic scale to work with once a week. ALWAYS have a metronome or drum machine handy.

The point is, since you are easily distracted, try to vary up your practices and not make them so "routine." Jam with other musicians if there are any in your area and ask, "How'd you do that?" I learned a bunch of different ideas that way.

Does this help?

ShootTheGlass
November 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Some good pointers there, ill check out the lessons on dolphinstreet too - theyll definitely be handy. As I say, im too easily distracted, though the limited knowledge prob plays a part as I cant just improv in the way Id like.

Im still at quite a basic level really, the only song I can play all the way through is Laid To Rest by Lamb of God (admittedly not at full speed). Im building on my chord knowledge though,so thats a start.

Im not using a metronome, Ill try and get one this weekend I think.

There seems to be a lack of other musicians where I live - if there are a few, theyre in some secret society, keeping themselves to themselves! :D Its a shame, as Id like to experience that aspect of playing.

tunghaichuan
November 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
You might want to give this book a try:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1860742394

10 minutes and you're done.

I have it and tried it, but my attention span is so short... :rotflmao:

tung

Robert
November 25th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Just keep playing, and enjoy doing it. Take on only as much as you have time for, and the rest will follow. If you become overambitious, it's easy to fall off the bandwagon and take up knitting, so get some books, DVDs, etc and learn in your own time.

Thanks for plugging my website, guys! ;)

oldguy
November 25th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It's a really good site, Robert.......not "plugging" it............you just seem to have a way of getting to the point, short and sweet, and making it stick in my brain.
If I ever win the lottery, I want to come to Canada and hire you as a full time teacher, find some cool places to play, and jam for a couple of years.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Robert
November 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Better hurry up oldguy, because I'm thinking I'm ready for such a job! Hope the pay is good.... :whatever: Haha :beer:

guitrkill3r
November 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
hey i know this is a strange question because practice for me is just stopping all the crap life throws at you, pickin up a geetar, and strumin till life comes back and sais wtf? where'd ya go? anyways back to the question, I cant find a chair that is comfortable for my back to play with. Im 18, I work out, i do back excersizes, and i do my best not to hurt my back at work(banquet server) yet it still doesnt work. Any cheap ideas? I've tried leaning against the side of my bed with a pillow behind my back and that worked alright, and a metal fold up chair just gets uncomfortable.

oldguy
November 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
hey i know this is a strange question because practice for me is just stopping all the crap life throws at you, pickin up a geetar, and strumin till life comes back and sais wtf? where'd ya go? anyways back to the question, I cant find a chair that is comfortable for my back to play with. Im 18, I work out, i do back excersizes, and i do my best not to hurt my back at work(banquet server) yet it still doesnt work. Any cheap ideas? I've tried leaning against the side of my bed with a pillow behind my back and that worked alright, and a metal fold up chair just gets uncomfortable.

Good posture is important if you play sitting. A pillow behind your back might fell alright, but I doubt if you're doing your back any favors in the long run.
As a "cheap idea" I'd suggest a comfortable stool of some sort. I often use a cheap seat for a keyboard we bought years ago. Sitting up straight works for me with it. Also, it makes a difference how you hold the guitar. Some people find setting the lower bout of the guitar between their legs, like you would a banjo, actually works out better for them. Hope this helps.
Stop by the FretPlayers section and introduce yourself when you get time.....that way everybody can get to know you in case they miss your posts in this section.:)

guitrkill3r
November 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
well i have a little stool that i bought from joan fabrics for 6 bucks last year, and I guess I just need to practice good posture. Thanks for your help, i'll give the old way of holding an acoustic a shot

Andy
November 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I actually use my drum stool for practicing.