PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Holiday Booze today

Glacies
November 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM
15year Glenfiddich Solera reserve.

Now it can be Thanksgiving.

Katastrophe
November 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM
It is clear that you are a trained professional, and should not be trifled with when it comes to selecting alcoholic beverage.:D

Well done!

poodlesrule
November 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
How much was that, in guitar units?

Glacies
November 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
How much was that, in guitar units?

$49 bucks for the gift pack with two shot glasses and an eye dropper. Although I usually drink 2 fingers neat so I won't be eye dropping.

warren0728
November 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
$49 bucks for the gift pack with two shot glasses and an eye dropper. Although I usually drink 2 fingers neat so I won't be eye dropping.

a couple of drops of water will really open up that scotch my friend....make sure it is room temp and bottled....not tap water....

Glacies
November 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
a couple of drops of water will really open up that scotch my friend....make sure it is room temp and bottled....not tap water....

oh that's what that's for. That makes sense. LOL I feel dumb now, just never used an eye dropper for it. Yeah I usually tip a poland spring water bottle into my glass to open it up a bit.

Wow for some reason I just never put it together that it was used for water....

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Wow, no ice even?

warren0728
November 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Wow, no ice even?
no ice....pour the scotch....a drop or two of water....enjoy....

marnold
November 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
In the same spirit (har!) I just returned from the store with a bottle of Tanqueray.

just strum
November 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I too have joined in on the Holiday festivities, I bought Pepsi - I don't drink with the exception of Irish Coffee, an occasional dark beer, I nice glass of wine, occasionally a couple of shots of tequila (more in my younger days), but other than that it's Pepsi.

Algonquin
November 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Cheers :beer: ;)

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, what holiday is it your buying nice scotch for? Christmas is still a fair way out :)

hubberjub
November 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I don't drink, I guzzle.

Glacies
November 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, what holiday is it your buying nice scotch for? Christmas is still a fair way out :)

Thanksgiving, of course! it might last me to Christmas but my girl's sister just got married to a scotch drinker too and this is the first time I'll be hanging out with him.

Anyway, I usually buy a bottle for Thanksgiving and a bottle for Christmas. I like to take time out of those holidays, sit outside with whoever will join me, drink a great scotch, smoke a great cigar. It's jsut kind of a tradition of mine.

luvmyshiner
November 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
15year Glenfiddich Solera reserve.

Now it can be Thanksgiving.

Sweet Glacies! That would last around here till the Cowboys kick off at 3:15.:beer:

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Oh Thanksgiving. That explains it, thanks :)

We don't do Thanksgiving down here, hence my confusion, but I have seen it mentioned on US TV shows.

sunvalleylaw
November 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM
A nice Scotch sounds good, though I daresay that a couple of drops of room temp Idaho ground water from our well would likely do to open it up. Very good stuff. I don't think we have that on the menu. I think I will sample some holiday mico brew instead, mostly because there would be no one to join me for the Glenfiddich.

SuperSwede
November 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM
We dont celebrate thanksgiving either, but if you send that bottle to me I will start a.s.ap :)

Another really really nice whiskey is Ardbeg, especially the single cask.
Lots of tar and seaweed! The smell fills an entire room :) mmm

Katastrophe
November 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM
There should be a worldwide Thanksgiving day. It's becoming my favorite holiday.

1. The whole purpose is to be thankful for what you have and the people in your life.
2. There is no pressure to purchase gifts that the giftee may/may not like.
3. You get to eat a ton of great food.
4. The UT/ATM game. 'Nuff said.

Finally, Thanksgiving is now the forgotten holiday. Retailers go directly from Halloween to Christmas, and durnit, that ain't right!

Glacies
November 26th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Oh Thanksgiving. That explains it, thanks :)

We don't do Thanksgiving down here, hence my confusion, but I have seen it mentioned on US TV shows.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm so ignorant of other cultures, I forgot that Thanksgiving is largely an American holiday. I do know that our 4th of July is just hours I would love to travel a lot more and learn if I could afford it though.

Australia is at the top of the list, I will say. So what national holidays do you guys have, I will buy some scotch and celebrate those for you too!

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
There should be a worldwide Thanksgiving day. It's becoming my favorite holiday.

1. The whole purpose is to be thankful for what you have and the people in your life.
2. There is no pressure to purchase gifts that the giftee may/may not like.
3. You get to eat a ton of great food.
4. The UT/ATM game. 'Nuff said.

Finally, Thanksgiving is now the forgotten holiday. Retailers go directly from Halloween to Christmas, and durnit, that ain't right!

Absolutely it is a great holiday. Being thankful and grateful with family and friends, and lots of good food. What is nicer than that? It would be nice to have an international Thanksgiving!

Jimi75
November 26th, 2008, 08:38 AM
We celebrate "Thanksgiving" in late fall. It is a holiday where people thank GOD for the food he gives us. It is a day that you celebrate with your family and of course good food. Being thankful is important.

Ch0jin
November 26th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I'm so ignorant of other cultures, I forgot that Thanksgiving is largely an American holiday. I do know that our 4th of July is just hours I would love to travel a lot more and learn if I could afford it though.

Australia is at the top of the list, I will say. So what national holidays do you guys have, I will buy some scotch and celebrate those for you too!

Nothing to be ashamed of mate. I'm sure US culture is more widely understood in Australia than vice versa as a result of the media. We have an enormous amount of US TV shown over here and as we don't really make much, I'm betting Aussie TV shows are thin on the ground over there.

Travel is awesome. I've done a bit and combined with 'take up an instrument' it's my number one tip for anyone. It WILL change your world perspective. Especially if you mix it up. I've been from the uber-tech metropolis of Tokyo to the Killing Fields of Cambodia. I've crawled through Viet Cong tunnels in Vietnam and stood under ground zero in Hiroshima. I'm a different person because of it all.

Anyway that was rather off topic....

Umm, Australian holidays.

OK well I'd say the best example is Australia Day on the 26th January.

It's the middle of summer all over the country and it's traditionally celebrated with BBQ's and beers and if at all possible, at the beach. (We are a land girt by sea after all) It's also somewhat of a tradition to throw plenty of seafood on the barbie on Australia day too. If any of you recall the (very) old Australian tourism ads with Paul Hogan's "Throw another shrimp on the barbie!" catch phrase, I should probably point out that we don't actually say "Shrimp". From what I can gather, what you call 'shrimp', we call 'prawns'. If you ask for shrimp anywhere in Australia people will look at you funny.

There's also a large alternative music festival in Sydney on the 26th called "Big Day Out". That's typically where I am.

If you are going to celebrate with us, I should highlight that there is some controversy associated with that date.

There is a bit of a bleeding heart trend to refer to Australia Day as "Invasion Day" as the date represents the establishment of the first British Colony here. Apparently the indigenous population were not such big fans of boat loads of convicts arriving. Plenty of people would like me to feel remorse on my national day. It ain't happening. I'll leave that there.

The second controversy surrounded the Sydney Big Day Out festival I mentioned. For the last two years they threatened to ban Australian flags from the event because some groups suggested it was intimidating to non-Australians who might be in attendance. I'm a patriot so I don't need to explain how -that- went over with me and everyone I know. I don't think I've ever seen so many flags t-shirts, hats, tattoo's, you name it, all with either the Australian flag, or the even more "in your face" Eureka Stockade Flag.

Anyway my long winded answer to an Aussie holiday!

And yeah I think an International Thanksgiving is a great idea. I'm not religious but I acknowledge that I have plenty to be thankful for.

wow...sorry, that was much longer than I'd planned.

edit: Oops I dropped the reference "Eureka Stockade" without explaining it.

The short version is that on the 3rd of December 1854 (my birthday actually) the working class stood up to the ruling class in a bloody one day revolt. The revolt was violently put down by the police and army but two things came of it. It was said to spawn the birth of Democracy in Australia, and thanks to a Canadian expat named Henry Ross who designed it, we got a flag that would forever symbolise not only national pride, but the fight of the working class for equality. It's under this flag, a white cross on a blue background, that the miners and workers pledged "We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties."

These days it's somewhat of a rebel icon, worn by bikers, truckies, labour unionists and so on. It says "I'm Australian and I don't take any sh*t from anyone".

Glacies
December 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Well I got to drink maybe 2 fingers of my scotch during the holiday...

Warning: long story follows -

My girl and I went to her mom's house for T-day. We're going into our 8th year together, we're not married for our own personal reasons but we own our house together and we're really not going anywhere. I've had some personality conflicts among other things with her mom, but in the last year we've really both made an effort to accept eachother as family and every visit has been getting better. This one was the best yet in that regard due in part to both of our efforts.

So Wednesday we get up there with our 4 dogs, her mom has 4 dogs too, so there's 8 dogs running around, 4 kids (cousin was in with her kids) and now 5 adults there. The noise and chaos was a little overwhelming so if I take frequent "smoke breaks" (I smoke cigars, not cigarrettes, but I wans't actually going out to smoke) I could stay cool. Everyone now understands, nobody bust my chops about it. Great.

Thursday comes, now there's 20 people, 5 kids, 9 dogs. I was out there smoking a cigar before dinner, drinking a little scotch, actually feeling pretty mellow. It was great. Got to meet some interesting people including what would be my new brother-in-law. This guy brought me some great cigars, but as we were smoking he was spewing some ignorant information typical of people who've endulged too much. No bother, happens, and this guy is kind of like family so I'm cool.

We get back into the house, sit down for dinner and he's getting worse. By this point it's a little embarrassing in front of the company.

Fast forward until company leaves. Right as they were heading out, he grabbed his keys unbeknownst to everyone and tore *** up and down the 1/2 mile gravel driveway about 3 or 4 times, just throwing rocks everywhere and almost hitting hte house a few times. Nobody knew what to do about that because then he walked in and acted almost normal.

Now He and his wife (my chick's sister) are spending the night so all of the girls could go shopping the next morning. I get on my "sleep gear" (my chick always makes fun of me for calling it that) and I'm standing around drinking my scotch, feeling good and proud of myself that I made it through such a chaotic time (I guess I have some type of anxiety issue with that stuff or something, but it's always a source of stress that I try and make myself deal with). So anyway, he starts getting beligerant and gets into an argument with his wife. My GSD was there and I can see his one good ear perked and I felt the same way, so I kept non-chalantly getting closer to them. The time came and I put the guy on the floor right in front of my girl, the mother, and his wife. I felt bad about it but I wasn't letting that guy hit her. He got up, cursed at everyone, cursed at me. My girl's father came out, he started cursing at him, he attacked the father, I put him on the floor again. At this point I started issuing orders to my girl (get the dogs out of the room, get her sister out of the room, etc). The third time he went after the father again he got him in some weird hold and was gouging his eyes and somehow managed to break or dislocate his thumb, when I saw that happening I really slammed the guy down, everyone heard so everyone came running into the room, but the guy was wild and ended up flailing enough to hit the mother in the chin. I can't beleive she didn't go down but when that happened I got my arm around his neck and held him for 3 seconds before he crumpled to the ground. I told the mother to call the cops, told my girl to call the cops, told everyone but the sister was getting hysterical and they didn't do it. After about 20 more minutes of making sure this guy wasn't going to hurt anyone, he finally passed out.

Anyway, I left a few things out but that was the gist and left the tone of the next few days pretty somber for everyone as we're now all worried about whether he's always that abusive or not. I was pretty sure I was going to get a load of shit for using physical force against him, but it ended up that everyone was greatly appreciative.

I've had years worth of training for similar things. I fought in mixed martial arts for years, and have tons of certifications and awards for my work teaching certain styles of fighting and learning police style restraints. It's kind of funny, but I never thought I'd use that stuff anymore, but the instincts are still there I guess even after a few hits of the rum punch I made and a glass of scotch.

street music
December 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Glacies, sounds like you reacted quite the same as I would have except you gave him more chances than I would have. I hate fighting but when I get pushed too far or a woman is about to get hurt by a man I come unglued. Wish you could of had a better time.

Well, Roy orbinson special is on PBS -gotta watch this again.