PDA

View Full Version : Worst case of MISPLACED GAS I've had in a long time

bigoldron
November 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I recently traded my Washburn with the P90's to Strum and wound up with a fairly decent Squier Strat. I've never played a Squier before, so I was impressed at how well it plays. I didn't like the white pickguard on the vintage white body, so I replaced the original with a tortoiseshell one. I also lined the cavities and pickguard with copper and put new CTS 250k pots in it, with all intentions of keeping it and upgrading it.

BUT, I made the mistake of going to my favorite local music shop yesterday. (I say local, but it's 35 miles away.) Anyway, they had an almost new MIM Strat that just happened to be the same color, with a rosewood fretboard. I know there's very little use on the guitar and what little bit has been well taken care of, cause one of the guys in the shop had claimed it as theirs. Anyway, his deal fell through, so they had it for a reduced price.

Well, I couldn't stand it, so I asked to play it. BIG MISTAKE! It fell into my arms and was as smooth as velvet. This baby is the one I've been looking for for quite some time. OMG, she played sweetly. She was a siren calling me and, of course, I was weak. So, on the way home, I called back and he gave me a little more discount, so I told him to hold it and I'll come back and get it sometime over the holiday.

She's a beauty in vintage white, but has that white pickguard that doesn't do anything for me, so I've ordered a tortoiseshell pickguard for it. I'm really digging out on the look of the tortoiseshell pickguard and can't wait to get my new baby and it together.

Here's a picture of the Squier with the tortoiseshell pickguard to give you an idea of what my new pride and joy will look like:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/Squier005.jpg

BTW, she's for sale. Help me fund my new baby!

Jimi75
November 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Holy smoke! This is a beautiful guitar and if she also plays and sounds that well...great! :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
November 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I love my MIM too. What year is this one?

just strum
November 25th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Ronnie,

Wow, nice job on the Squier. They were getting on me for turning my purchases, you are now the champ.:master:

luvmyshiner
November 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Sweet dude! I loves to see my buddies gettin' new guits.

bigoldron
November 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Holy smoke! This is a beautiful guitar and if she also plays and sounds that well...great! :bravo:

I love my MIM too. What year is this one?

This picture is the Squier that's for sale. The MIM is the same color and I've ordered the same pickguard (tortoiseshell) to go on her. I'm going in the morning (hopefully) to pick her up. As soon as the pickguard comes in, I'll post those pics.

SVL, I'm not sure what year the Squier is. Can you tell from the serial number? I'll check the Fender site to find out how. Not sure about the MIM I'm getting, but it's fairly new. I talked with the guy who played her a little while this afternoon. He agrees that she's a sweet baby to play. I'm stoked! But, I do need to move that Squier or my wife's gonna toast my behind. :eek:

sunvalleylaw
November 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I meant the MIM. 2006 and later have significant upgrades (fretwire, shielding, trem block to name a few) and an Olympic White one with a tort guard would be sweet! If it is not 2006 or later, you could easily do some of the upgrades yourself with the parts available if you want to.

bigoldron
November 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I meant the MIM. 2006 and later have significant upgrades (fretwire, shielding, trem block to name a few) and an Olympic White one with a tort guard would be sweet! If it is not 2006 or later, you could easily do some of the upgrades yourself with the parts available if you want to.

I want to say it's at least a 2006. Won't know for sure until tomorrow (Wednesday). Wednesday is NGD at my house and I can't wait!

bigoldron
November 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Ronnie,

Wow, nice job on the Squier. They were getting on me for turning my purchases, you are now the champ.:master:

I hope this is the last turn for a long, long time, Strum. If I had not seen the MIM Strat and especially if I had not played it, I'd be playing the Squier for a while. You have to admit, the tort shell makes it look like a totally different guitar. Plus the new pots and shielding have her really quiet.

I almost hate to sell her, but I need to help finance the MIM. Sometimes you just pick up that "right" guitar and you know it immediately. That's what happened to me. I've been wanting a MIM for a while and this one just spoke to me. :drool:

Bilsdragon
November 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Ron, I read your ad in the classifieds and thought I was the only one on earth that keeps telling my wife "that this is the last" guitar I'm going to buy. :beer: Can't wait to see the pics.

bigoldron
November 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Ron, I read your ad in the classifieds and thought I was the only one on earth that keeps telling my wife "that this is the last" guitar I'm going to buy. :beer: Can't wait to see the pics.

It is the last for a while. In fact, I'm taking it back on Saturday. I have EGG on my face big time. I made the mistake of NOT playing it plugged in at the store - just went on their word. I got it home, plugged it in and it crackled, hummed and popped whenever you looked cross-eyed at the patch cord. So, I took the jack plate off and the solder joints looked fine. I even wound up pulling the pickguard and there appeared to be no loose wires. I had to take to jack wire loose to even get the pickguard off, and apparently I didn't make a good connection when I resoldered it as there's NO sound now.

PLUS, I didn't think the guitar was as old as it is. According to the kid at the store who owned it, the serial number shows it as being made in 1991.

It played so sweetly unplugged at the store, but temptation is an evil mistress. You'd think at my age, I'd stop being an impulse buyer. Oh well, no biggie. The owner's wife answered when I called and she said no problem. They hold the check and I could bring it back in a couple of days.

So all's well that ends well. I felt guilty about turning the Squier I had just gotten, since, to me it plays just as good as the MIM - especially since I shielded it and put new pots in it.

sunvalleylaw
November 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry it didn't work out, but at least you found out soon enough to undo it.

bigoldron
November 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Sorry it didn't work out, but at least you found out soon enough to undo it.

Yep. Better now than later. :thwap:

just strum
November 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Yep. Better now than later. :thwap:

Ronnie, it's a disease. Just like people flip houses, you will be flipping guitars - I can tell already.

Oh, and some people flip pancakes:pancake: