PDA

View Full Version : Hey Canadian Fretters. Feb next year go see Mason Rack

Ch0jin
November 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I just checked their website on a whim and they are coming to see you guys in Feb 2009. If any of you are anywhere near one of these gigs, and you dig some seriously rocking blues music, go see them, you will NOT be disappointed.

I saw these guys at a 4 day blues and roots kinda festival over new years and they blew my mind. I was at one of the bars with mates kicking back in the afternoon and I heard a lap steel lick that gave me chills. I was in front of that stage less than a minute later and I've been raving to anyone who'll listen about their live shows ever since. Real talented Aussie bluesmen all. But Mason himself on assorted guitars is incredible. Great story teller, great singer and amazing guitar player. His "regular" guitar and slide playing are awesome, but when he grabs that lap steel and winds up his big fender amp, the growls and scorching leads literally give me goosebumps. During the performance he basically told a bit of a story about his life through his selection of songs for the set, from being a young surfer to drugs and alcohol abuse, to prison, to marrying and having kids. Given his shaved head, dark sunnies and blue singlet (trademark of the Aussie working class) with heavily tattoo'd arms, he certainly looked the part too. Real nice vibe about them the whole set and real friendly to a drunk fan after the set when that drunk fan (ok me) was in equal parts praising their awesomeness and asking what gear he used.

Have a look at the website (http://masonrack.com/), have a listen to some tracks, but most importantly, if you have the opportunity, go see them live. You'll love it, and you can thank me later :)

BluesHowler
November 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I loved the song "Seen Her Before" and the other two songs were very good. I'd love to hear more from the Mason Rack band. Denver has a large blues fan base so maybe they will play here soon.

t_ross33
December 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Might have to check that out - looks like they're going to be in Saskatchewan at the Regina Blues Festival. Regina is only about 2-1/2 hrs South and I have some friends there... I'll pencil it on the ol' calendar. Thanks! :AOK: