PDA

View Full Version : Like Father Like Son? Big shoes to fill

Jimi75
November 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM
How about a thread posting kids that walk their parents "musical" shoes? Only musicians and hey, their style can differ from their parents.

Okay, for the start I picked Don and Eagle Eye Cherry. Don was a jazz musician extraordinair, his son whom I saw live is a great songwriter who digs way beyond mainstream when you catch him in a live situation.

L6VoB-FlyTk

2prS4VBrlWs

Waiting for the first Eddie post here....:dude:

Spudman
November 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Oliver Wakeman seems to be doing well in this regard. Rick has some pretty big shoes to fill but Oliver is playing on the current Yes tour and doing a great job.

Here is Oliver with his own band
Ta0NAzq5LkA

and with Arena
w_laW-trLNw

and Dad (Rick Wakeman)
VtK4fSzN7ac

R_of_G
November 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Firstly, great idea for a thread Jimi.

Secondly, I also like Eagle Eye Cherry, though not nearly as much as I love his dad. Don Cherry is one of my musical heroes. His daughter Nena had a couple of hits in America as well.

Now, for my first selection, here is Grant Green Jr. As his name implies, he is the son of legendary jazz guitarist Grant Green.

I think this song will sound familiar. It's Skip James' "I'm So Glad"...

BbycixY5Eh4

And for those of you not familiar with his father, here is Grant Green. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of video is out there of GG, but this is enough to get the point across...

9AsWLMUdIZk

SuperSwede
November 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Eagle Eye and Neneh both live here in Sweden... both are (like their dad) talented musicians.

I think this is Nenehs first hit song...

R0ruEpA9GmI&fmt=18

And this is Eagle Eyes first hit...

FwiuXevi9FE

R_of_G
November 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Good find on the vids SuperSwede. Neneh's "Buffalo Stance" used to get stuck in my head all the time. I also remember at some point Eagle Eye did a very cool cover of The Bee Gee's "To Love Somebody". No version of it will ever quite surpass Janis Joplin's from I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama! but Eagle Eye's was very good.

piebaldpython
November 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I don't have any clips but....let's see.....hmmmmmmmm

1 Dad- John Raitt, Broadway musical legend
Kid- Bonnie Raitt

2 Dad- Raful Neal; Blues/Cajun Harmonica player
Kid- Kenny Neal; Blues Guitar/Harmonica player

3 Dad- Doyle Bramhall; keyboard player for SRV
Kid- Doyle Bramhall: lefthanded guitar player with Clapton's band

snoglobe
November 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Bob Dylan / Jakob Dylan

marnold
November 26th, 2008, 12:25 PM
You might laugh, but I think of Kenny Loggins and his son Crosby. Kenny was everywhere in the 80s thanks to the Footloose and Top Gun soundtracks and in the 70s in Loggins and Messina. I saw Crosby open for Joe Bonamassa. He's got pretty good acoustic chops. He also won the MTV "Rock the Cradle" competition for children of famous musicians. Here's a clip of him live:
P1RJKv5ZL5g

just strum
November 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
ZAK STARKEY

BYBL2q-VHiQ

hagarfreak33
November 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Fiction Plane -Stings son-good cd and very good live
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHPSp614csY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHPSp614csY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

R_of_G
November 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Ravi Coltrane, following in the footsteps of both parents, John and Alice Coltrane, each great musicians...

1F8WJCyY90U

evenkeel
November 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Fun thread.. :bravo:

Ravi Shankar dad
Nora Jones daughter

Not a pro musician but Torben Ulrich, in addition to a being a world class tennis player in the 70's, was a pretty fair jazz musician. I think played with Miles Davis and Coltrane.
Son, Lars Ulrich drummer for Metallica.

Johnny Otis
Shuggie Otis

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I don't have any clips but....let's see.....hmmmmmmmm

1 Dad- John Raitt, Broadway musical legend
Kid- Bonnie Raitt

That was who I was going to pick, so I will help out with the clips.

CKCUapUEFkY

John Raitt - Classic Broadway performer

rT-FoZt95D4&feature=related
Bonnie with another famous John.

Spudman
November 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
He looks just like his bloody father.
giFtE3SClOM

Spudman
November 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Similar to his father as well.
4c4HJzUqMpg

Spudman
November 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM
...and of course...he looks like dad too. So we get Julian Lennon, Dhani Harrison, Zack Starkey and Paul McCartney together. Wouldn't that be cool?
Bj4ukVD5RNo

Kazz
November 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
How about Father and Son in law :-)

2 of my favorite guitarists

Dickie Betts:

oIr2ZIaFV30

dzwMLQi-caU

And this guy......Frank Hannon :-)

CguZ2eKj_hA

snoglobe
November 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Tim Buckley and Jeff Buckley (followed in his father's footsteps by dying way too young)

Spudman
November 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM
How about those spunky Zappa boys
sXKknqo5AHE

R_of_G
November 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ravi Shankar dad
Nora Jones daughter

Don't forget Ravi's other daughter, Norah's half-sister Anushka Shankar who is a world-class sitar player who plays with Ravi.

Spudman
November 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Steve Lukather's son Trev Lukather

BFTVGs9cyYw

R_of_G
December 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Here's another father/daughters nomination...

Charlie Haden and Petra, Rachel and Tanya Haden

Charlie is one of the most extraordinary jazz bass players of all time. His work with Ornette Coleman's bands and his own Liberation Music Orchestra is nothing short of genius. He also worked with Ginger Baker and Bill Frisell in the Ginger Baker Trio.

Petra is a singer and violinist who has played in bands such as that dog (with her sister Rachel), The Decemberists and The Rentals. She's also done plenty of session work contributing to works by Beck, Mike Watt, Green Day, and Weezer. Like her father, she has also worked with Bill Frisell. The album Petra Haden & Bill Frisell is a beautiful collection of mostly covers including songs written by Tom Waits, Stevie Wonder, George Gershwin and Henry Mancini. Petra also put out an album called Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out which is exactly what it sounds like, a solo a cappella rendering of the entire album by The Who. It was loved by some, hated by others, but among those who loved it was Pete Townshend, so that says something.

Rachel is a bass player and singer. She played in the affore-mentioned that dog with sister Petra. She was a founding member of the band The Rentals. She contributed vocals to at least one song by Weezer. She is currently playing bass in Todd Rundgren's touring band.

Tanya Haden is a cellist and vocalist. She was a member of the bands Let's Go Sailing and Silversun Pickups. She is married to actor/musician Jack Black.

The sisters, who are triplets, have performed together under the name The Haden Triplets. They have a brother, Josh Haden, who is also a professional musician.

Here's some video...

Charlie and Liberation Music Orchestra

lYzlgETvKaY

The Haden Triplets...

iEwQ-tOA4q4&feature=related