PDA

View Full Version : Washburn D10S vs. Epiphone DR-200S

Bossfan
November 26th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Hi all - looking for a lower-cost solid top acoustic, and have seen the threads on the Washburn with positive feedback, but curious to the forum's opinion on the Epi solid top. Price differential between the two is about $100, but both appear on paper to have similar construction - spruce top, mahogany back and sides, etc. I've played the Washburn and like it, but haven't gone to the local GC to try the Epi and would like some opinions before making the trip. Thanks!

tjcurtin1
November 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
If you can find one to try, check out a Seagull or Art & Lutherie (both made by Godin of Canada) in your price range - they make some wonderful guitars with great bang for the buck, and made here in North America.

Dreadman
November 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
It's my experience that most name brand solid top acoustics in that price range are more or less equal. They're made to very similar specs, from the same materials - and in a lot of cases they'r made in the same factories. If you can't pick one based on an in-person sound test I'd say go with what looks good to you.

mrmudcat
November 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Exactly!!!!:beer:

markb
November 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Dreadman has a point. One music chain here has both Fender and Cort acoustics. Why, they're the same guitars at the same prices with small cosmetic differences apart from one or two models. Look beyond the headstock shape and logo and you'll start to see the similarities.

Also cheaper acoustics can vary hugely in sound from sample to sample. If you should find a good sounding sample locally don't be tempted to save a few bucks by buying the same model online from a big discounter.

Bossfan
November 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. Took a look at the Art & Luthier today at lunch, and it sounded great, although I wasn't too keen on the natural finish. Supposedly they age better, but aesthetically just wasn't appealing to me. Will keep trying and pull the trigger soon!

evenkeel
November 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Good points all around.

There are a lot of good choices in solid top, lam back and sides, acoustic guitars for not a lot of coin. Washburn, Epiphone, Blueridge, Morgan Monroe. I don't own one but I'm a big fan of the Epi line of acoustics. The solid top 200 series and the all solid wood Masterbilts.

Last time I was in the local GC they had the low end Breedloves on sale. It's a been a couple of weeks, but I think they were priced under $500.

tjcurtin1
November 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. Took a look at the Art & Luthier today at lunch, and it sounded great, although I wasn't too keen on the natural finish. Supposedly they age better, but aesthetically just wasn't appealing to me. Will keep trying and pull the trigger soon!

Yes, the sound of mine has changed (improved) markedly since I've had it. I like the finish, myself - you can buff it to more of a gloss with 0000 steel wool and butcher's wax - but the top is cedar and it mars very easily, I have to say. Gives the guitar a nice warm sound though.

bigoldron
December 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Take the Washburn. You won't be sorry.

Bossfan
December 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I did it - bought the Washburn and am happy with the purchase:bravo: . I took a chance and purchased online, but no problems with the guitar and factory set up is good. I'll likely change the strings out soon, but it sounds pretty darn good and now need to practice a bit more to make it sound better! Thanks all for the feedback.

evenkeel
December 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I did it - bought the Washburn

Hey congrats on the new toy!!! Most Washburn owners do swap out the Vinci strings pretty quick, although the new D10's I've played all sounded pretty good to me.

peachhead
December 7th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Just so you know, ZZounds has dropped the price on D10s by $50.

And yes, I know you can get them cheaper elsewhere but just in case someone decides to go through zzounds and help the Fret.net out. :)