PDA

View Full Version : RP-80s plus stombox effects

t_ross33
June 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM
With a Vox AD30VT and a Digitech RP-80 I have lots of modelling options available. Now I've added a Behringer BO100 Blues Overdrive stompbox to the mix and the trick is getting everything to sound decent together. Running a modelling processor through a modelling amp can affect the tone quite a bit, and not in a good way. However, we cover a wide range of musical styles and I like the ability to squeeze out a whole bunch of effects and sounds to suit the song or style we are playing. GASing for a BOSS GT8, but in the meantime...

Here's some tips/tricks I've come up with so far, though I've far from perfected anything...

1) Set the #2 switch on the Vox footpedal to select Manual mode, rather than Effects On/Off, in effect having 3 channels on the Vox. I set up Manual to duplicate the Boutique Clean or 2x12 Blackface presets, then tweak the eq. to suit. Effects bypassed. Ch1 and 2 are currently set to AC30 and UK 80's presets (though these change as the mood strikes:p )

2) I've programmed the #1 position user preset on my RP-80 to be devoid of any models or effects. Just using the expression pedal for volume control. Easier to get to than "bypass" mode, plus gaining a volume pedal. I can now select Ch1 or 2 on the Vox. To use one of my RP-80 patches, I select Manual (the clean channel) on the Vox.

3) I've discovered that overdriving the signal before it enters the RP-80 is a bad idea. Doesn't hurt anything, just doesn't sound that great. So my OD pedal is next in line after the RP-80. The OD works better with the Vox amp models than with the RP-80's, so I just go to position #1, select my Vox channel and kick in OD when desired.

Katastrophe
June 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Yep, Digitech does NOT like to have a dirty signal going into the pedal. I bought my first Digitech rack mounted processor in the early '90s, and it HAD to have a clean signal, or it would sound awful. I run my RP80 alone for that reason, and only use the clean channel for the amp. The RP80 is much happier that way...

Thanks for the hints... I'll probably be setting up mine using "Tip #2" soon! Now I just gotta find the footswitch for my amph...:confused: