PDA

View Full Version : Questions about changing the speaker in my Marshall

Duff
November 27th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I got my first really nice, to me anyway, amp back yesterday for the same 75 dollars I sold it to a kid in my son's band for.

It is a Marshall combo: Valvestate II VS30R, totally solid state thirty watt amp with a ten inch 4 ohm Celestion G10C-30 that I think is worn out. I think this mint amp is about 12 years old, but it might be older.

The problem is that you cant find very many 4 ohm 10 inch speakers. I found a Jensen MOD 10 - 50 watt. 95dB sensitivity. Can't find much else and this is a 40 dollar speaker. It is supposed to be British voiced and I'm thinking it could be a good speaker choice but am questioning this idea because of the low price; but I have learned from experience that price is not a reliable measure of quality or tone, obviously.

There is a Jensen P10N I believe that is way more expensive but for some reason I forget I didn't get the same impression that it would be the best speaker, maybe because the MOD series is British voiced and at about the watt rating I want.

Also, not being an amp tech other than upgrading speakers, I heard that a lot of power supplies have several options for wiring 2, 8, and 16 ohm speaker wires to.

I don't really want to tear the amp up and I'm willing to try the MOD Jensen.

Celestion Corp tech guy suggested putting in a Vintage 30 at 8 ohms and lose a little volume but gain a lot of tone.

The problem with this is that less volume for this 30 watt amp is not something that I'm looking for.

Duffy

Any suggestions regarding using an 8 ohm mismatch in this or ideas about that British sounding Jensen Mod ten inch?

tunghaichuan
November 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
In a solid state amplifier, the SS devices are connected directly to the speaker. A tube amp has an output transformer that interfaces the speaker and the output tubes.

For a solid state amp you can always go up in impedence, so you can connect an 8 ohm speaker to your 4 ohm out on the amp. But as you stated, you will lose power, your 30 watt amp now becomes a 15-20W amp (roughly).

I would contact Ted Weber and see what he has to offer. I know he makes some of his models in 4 ohm impedances.

You could also get an extension cabinet with two 8 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel for 4 ohms. Not practical if you want to haul the amp around, though.

tung

I got my first really nice, to me anyway, amp back yesterday for the same 75 dollars I sold it to a kid in my son's band for.

It is a Marshall combo: Valvestate II VS30R, totally solid state thirty watt amp with a ten inch 4 ohm Celestion G10C-30 that I think is worn out. I think this mint amp is about 12 years old, but it might be older.

The problem is that you cant find very many 4 ohm 10 inch speakers. I found a Jensen MOD 10 - 50 watt. 95dB sensitivity. Can't find much else and this is a 40 dollar speaker. It is supposed to be British voiced and I'm thinking it could be a good speaker choice but am questioning this idea because of the low price; but I have learned from experience that price is not a reliable measure of quality or tone, obviously.

There is a Jensen P10N I believe that is way more expensive but for some reason I forget I didn't get the same impression that it would be the best speaker, maybe because the MOD series is British voiced and at about the watt rating I want.

Also, not being an amp tech other than upgrading speakers, I heard that a lot of power supplies have several options for wiring 2, 8, and 16 ohm speaker wires to.

I don't really want to tear the amp up and I'm willing to try the MOD Jensen.

Celestion Corp tech guy suggested putting in a Vintage 30 at 8 ohms and lose a little volume but gain a lot of tone.

The problem with this is that less volume for this 30 watt amp is not something that I'm looking for.

Duffy

Any suggestions regarding using an 8 ohm mismatch in this or ideas about that British sounding Jensen Mod ten inch?

Duff
November 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Does anyone have any experience using the Jensen MOD 10 - 50 in the 4 ohm version? Is it a good speaker. Sensitivity is 95dB. Is this very sensitive or should I look for one around 100 dB?

I would like to get some volume out of that thirty watt amp rather than settling for a mediocre amount of volume but I want to have good tone also, equal to the quality of the Marshall amp itself.

Any ideas?

Duffy

marnold
November 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've been debating about adding a Mod to my AD30Vt but haven't pulled the trigger.

Andy
November 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM
you could always try a 1 x 12 ext cab

TS808
November 27th, 2008, 08:51 PM
From what I've read about the Jensen MOD speakers, is that they are a great all-around speaker, designed specifically not to color the tone of your amp very much. They are used alot in modeling amps, and I've seen other people in other forums recommend them.

If you go with the 10 inch speaker, expect that it won't color the tone of your amp too much.

Duff
November 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I am really getting into my old Marshall VS30R valvestate, no tubes. It is like getting a really good old friend back. It is sounding great but I think it needs a speaker and the Mod sounds like a good one because it has the correct impedance matching and I'm getting into having correct impedance matching. I think it is an important concept that should be put into practice, at least for me anyway. The old Celestion G10C-30 will be staying around if I put the MOD in. I could make an extension cabinet out of it and put a jack on the speaker wires coming out of the amp section of the Marshall to either plug in the MOD on board spkr or use the Celestion old broken in one plugged in as an external speaker, using only one at a time.

I'm liking the MOD idea. The Marshall is sounding incredible with my RP350 and some good guitars right now but I'm almost positive a new high quality speaker will bring new sparkle to it, etc.

Duffy

M29
November 28th, 2008, 06:41 AM
You could go with an eight ohm speaker and loose a little power but when you play out where you need more power, bring an eight ohm extension cab to connect in parallel to make up four ohms. Lower power for around the house and more power for playing out.

Duff
December 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Why not just bolt on a Jensen Mod 10/50 in place of the stock spkr?

This Mod is only 95dB. I wanted to get closer to 100dB.

If I got an 8ohm speaker instead of the matching 4ohm would a sensitive, like 102 dB one be close to the same loudness of my stock 4 ohm which is probably not very senstive? I guess there is no way to tell the sensitivity of the stock spkr.

If I hooked up an 8 ohm extension spkr in parallel with the 8ohm replacement speaker I would then be back to 4 ohms or thereabouts, correct?

Would the amp then sound as loud as it originally did pushing one 4 ohm speaker or would the extra load of two speakers draw the volume down?

Duffy