PDA

View Full Version : Favorite guitar solo

Blaze
November 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
As i was writing the Zappa s gear thread yesterday ,i thought of this guitar solo he performed on the " Inca Roads" tune (Sofa album) which i consider my personnal favorite guitar solo ..

Tell me which one would be yours ..

Blazes

sunvalleylaw
November 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hmm, tough one. Often, it is the one I am listening to when I am asked the question. Right now, it is "Time" from Dark Side of the Moon, playing in my head, and I want you (She's so Heavy) is another that is timeless. But on other days, an SRV one might catch my ear. Mayer has been putting out some lately that really grab me as well. Some of his live "Gravity" solos are really beautiful. And there is this punk band called MxPx that has some hard drivin' solos that really grab me when I am in the mood. So basically, I can't decide on one obviously. :D I go back to my first answer, the one I am listening to. :AOK:

Fab4
November 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
A few nominees:

George Harrison: "All My Loving" "Something"
Joe Walsh/Don Felder: "Hotel California"
Robben Ford: "Help The Poor"
Larry Carlton: "Room 335," "Kid Charlemagne" "Don't Take Me Alive"
Tom Johnston or Pat Simmons: "Rockin' Down The Highway" (Anybody know for sure who played the solo on this? Jeff Baxter, maybe?)

And the list goes on and on...

Ch0jin
November 27th, 2008, 04:12 PM
There are just too many to remember and list!!!

So for this morning, it's the solo from The Cult, "Love Removal Machine". Ever since the first time I heard that track I find it just about impossible to resist some serious air guitar when that first lead break kicks in. It's only a short solo by many standards, but they have some seriously delicious tone going on.

Disraeli
November 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Eric Clapton/Cream- Crossroads
The Beatles/Eric Clapton- WHile my guitar Gently weeps
Pink Floyd- Time
Traffic- Dear Mr Fantasy

There's alot more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.

peachhead
November 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Larry Carlton: "Kid Charlemagne" "Don't Take Me Alive"

Both of those are great. I have to go back to SVL though, whatever I'm listening to at the moment is what goes round and round my head.

Andy
November 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Pat Travers, Live album,"Heat in the Street"and "Gettin Betta" would be a couple of many favorites.

Algonquin
November 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Right now I'd have to say Angus Young ripping it up in Back in Black. Just something about those happy fingers that stands out in the crowd. :AOK:

Blaze
November 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Here s Inca roads solo , love that wah attack and the build up ..

pKUdQRPGk6g

Dwezil practicing an Inca Roads interlude

grovq0y8FtQ

KrisH
November 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
A toss up between three:

Lazy -- Deep Purple
Because We Ended as Lovers -- Jeff Beck
Since I've been Loving You -- Led Zeppelin

I think there's a pattern to my choices . . .

wingsdad
November 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Tough to pick just one...two that are at the top of my list:

McCartney/Harrison/Lennon: going out in a blaze of glory following Ringo's drum solo in Abbey Road's 'The End'

Allen Collins/Gary Rossington/Steve Gaines/Leon Wilkeson: the closer to the One More From The Road live version of 'Freebird'

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Geez, I couldn't even imagine narrowing it down to 1 or even 10.

So here is my top 100:

oh, never mind.:thwap:

SuperSwede
November 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Allen Collins/Gary Rossington/Steve Gaines/Leon Wilkeson: the closer to the One More From The Road live version of 'Freebird'

+1

I totally agree with that :)

Blaze
November 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I ve got plenty of favorites that s for sure ,like the entire Blow by Blow album Jeff Beck s classic for example .. The Gilmour works , Robben Ford, name it..

Chow

Blazes

Katastrophe
November 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Gilmour in "Comfortably Numb." What a great solo. It says a lot, and conveys emotion but without any unnecessary notes.

marnold
November 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
George Lynch on Dokken's "In My Dreams" and "Mr. Scary"
Randy Rhoads on Ozzy's "Crazy Train"
Yngwie J. Malmsteen on "Trilogy Suite Op. 5"
SRV on "Little Wing"

tunghaichuan
November 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Praxis (Buckethead) "Seven Laws of Woo" on Praxis (Mutatis Mutandis)

Cobra Strike (Buckethead again) "The 13th Scroll" on The 13th Scroll

David Lindley "Mercury Blues" on El-Rayo X

Albert Lee "Fun Ranch Boogie" (whole thing)

Gary Moore "Over the Hills and Far Away" from Wild Frontier

Johnny Winter (with Muddy Waters) "Jealous Hearted Man" on Hard Again

Plus hundreds more.

tung

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I just thought of an old one and one that I watch anytime the movie is on TV

Ten Years After - Alvin Lee - I'm Going Home

tHw9b4BBV9Y

sunvalleylaw
November 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM
SRV on "Little Wing"

That was certainly one of the SRV songs I had in mind when I posted. Riviera Paradise is hitting my mood right now though. Not sure it counts as a solo though, since the whole piece is an instrumental. I am going to listen to both on the way home in a few minutes.

birv2
November 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
So many I could put!

I'd like to second that great McCartney/Lennon/Harrison solo on Abbey Road -- truly magnificent, and each one a little mini-concert in itself with its own separate amazing tone. And also +1 on Alvin Lee's Going Home. Still gives me chills.

Today I heard two I really like: Clapton's solo at the end of Let It Rain (totally stratalicious), and Joe Walsh's in One of These Nights (best 2 intro notes ever).

sumitomo
November 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Today its Peter Green for me all of 'em.Sumi:D

cherokee747
November 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Rick Derringers Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo. Smokin still!!:AOK: Mike

Algonquin
November 29th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Rick Derringers Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo. Smokin still!!:AOK: Mike
Good choice Mike :AOK:

oldguy
November 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Neil Young......"Cinnamon Girl"...........easy to play.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Kazz
December 1st, 2008, 05:52 AM
I just thought of an old one and one that I watch anytime the movie is on TV

Ten Years After - Alvin Lee - I'm Going Home

tHw9b4BBV9Y

Thanks for posting this Mark...I had heard Alvin on "The Bluest Blues" and thought he was a great blues guitar player.....had no idea what he looked like...or any idea of where to get more of his music....now I do....

AdamM
December 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Just finished learning Get The Funk Out by Extreme.
Tried to learn it at the time but wasn't up to the job
After 22 years playing I finally have it up to scratch :dude:

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Wow! I don't think I could ever boil it down to a single favorite. From Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Allman and the "classics" right up to the present day, there are just so, so many great solos. Guess I'd just mention three of my many favorites--an "oldie (by my standards!), a present day example, and one in between:

Eric Clapton - The original "Live at the Fillmore" (even though it was recorded at the Winterland!) version of Crossroads. That such a stunning & flawless solo (particularly the 2nd break) could be recorded from a live performance has always astounded me. Legendary stuff!

Steve Morse - If you've never hear the guitar solo from Vitamin Q on The Dreg's Industry Standard (1982), the last album by the (mostly) original band before their breakup, you have my condolences. This solo has always stood out to me as a great example of Morse's genius--imaginative, intense, incendiary. And it follows an equally impressive solo by violin whiz Mark O'Connor. Tasty, tasty, tasty!

Joe Bonamassa - I consider Joe to be one of the finest soloists I've ever heard, bar none. One that I particularly enjoy is the outro solo on Mountain Time. Just a great, soaring solo that builds and builds in intensity. It's also notable in that it's not one of the blues-based numbers or classic covers that dominate much of his live material. You can take your pick from two incredible live versions--the one on his newest release, Live from Nowhere in Particular, or the video version HERE (http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1329233498/bclid1333277767/bctid1333272775). Nice guitar, too!

tunghaichuan
December 1st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Steve Morse - If you've never hear the guitar solo from Vitamin Q on The Dreg's Industry Standard (1982), the last album by the (mostly) original band before their breakup, you have my condolences. This solo has always stood out to me as a great example of Morse's genius--imaginative, intense, incendiary. And it follows an equally impressive solo by violin whiz Mark O'Connor. Tasty, tasty, tasty!

+1 on Steve Morse. I'd also add "General Lee" with Albert Lee. It's on The Steve Morse Band's album The Introduction. That song has four solos total; two by Lee, two by Morse with lots of chicken pickin' goodness.

I attended a clinic given by Morse back in the 80s, and he demonstrated his gear, how he warms up, and gave advice and answered questions. He came off as a humble, self-effacing guy. Monstrously talented as well.

He's been one of my favorite players for years.

tung

Fab4
December 1st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Also from the Dregs Industry Standard, don't miss "Where's Dixie?" Talk about blazing chickin' pickin'!

Suhnton
December 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Here s Inca roads solo , love that wah attack and the build up ..

pKUdQRPGk6g

Dwezil practicing an Inca Roads interlude

grovq0y8FtQ

That guitar looks amazing. I think I know what I want for Xmas.
Anyway, in another forum I listed the one EVH plays in "Beat It" as my favourite (it certainly must be one of the most often heard), so I'll leave it at that. Actually there are too many to choose from: Comfortably Numb, Voodoo Child, (IIRC) Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers by ZZ Top...