PDA

View Full Version : things we take for granted

Childbride
November 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM
i have memories of my grandpa

listening to fb/sports on the radio.

he could close his eyes and 'see' the entire game.

i loved him dearly.

----

i'm at the son by proxy's, we had a most awesome dinner, he and i made it together for the first time. he was very cute, he wanted to do it all by himself, but needed direction. so it was his dinner, i just flew co-pilot.;)

we watched the cowboys, and then i promptly switched jerseys

the only game.

ut v a&m.

he doesn't have espn. my entire family are aggies but for me.

i've watched this game for 20 years, faithfully.

son by proxy has it online radio. i'm sitting here, on his computer, which is a huge privilege, eyes closed, remembering my grandpa and trying to recreate the game. :)

may all of you have a most wonderful tday. i've had the most wonderful weekend with son by proxy; we venture forth tomorrow into town to have fun in the big H prior to going home.

never take anything for Granted. i can hear shiner and byproxy in the other room playing video games and joshing on each other; it makes my heart happy. :D :D :D

Happy Thanksgiving.
hook 'em. :) :beer: :pancake:
k

bigoldron
November 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM
CB, I don't know how to describe it, but you're kinda like a Norman Rockwell painting - pure Americana, full of heart and full of that warm fuzzy stuff that makes us all feel a little better. I always enjoy reading your reflections and views. They always make me feel a little more reflective and happier to have you as an acquaintance.

As if this post is appropriate enough, I'm watching the original "Yours, Mine & Ours" on Turner Classic Movies with the wife and kids. Love and thankfulness and an appreciation for all you have makes a world of difference. We all need to do a little better at this.

Thanks again, "Mom". :D

piebaldpython
November 28th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Yeah, CB, you do paint quite a picture. :bravo:

As for me, it's all NEW memories. Baby Cobra walks (in HIGH heels no less :D ), talks, drinks beer and ENJOYS pain/medicine free life for the first time in 5 years of Thanksgivings with mucho thanks to the doc/magicians at Klinikum Winterberg in Saarbruecken Germany. Danke Schoen!!!!

My parents were married a couple months short of 60 years when my Mom passed this May (while we were in Germany for BC's coma treatment). Mom ran the house and my Dad too. :D She was the boss and everyone knew it too. So, it's funny to watch/talk to my "reborn" Dad (83)....he's under NEW management now (his OWN, :bravo: ) and he is flourishing in the most splendid of ways........living and loving LIFE....just simply the most FUN person to be around.....always SMILING because he loves to interact with people, etc......yep, many thanks this day to be sure. :beer:

My Dad and BC talked about going out for some beers; just for grins. :D

street music
November 28th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Nice thoughts you paint with CB, glad to know that people still enjoy family times together. Mrs. Street and I went to her sister's home and ate with their family and her brother's family came too. We fixed a blackberry cobbler and a apple walnut cake and took them as part of the desert table. Watched the national show after that then went to one of my brother's home and watched the Tenn Titans game(if you call that a game). Kodiak and his wife should be here today for 3 days.
I just got back from BLACK FRIDAY(why do they call it that) a pure mad house this morning at Wally World & Kate Mart. I just thought it was crazy the way people were pushing and shoving, I got one item and came home.

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Take nothing for granted, leave nothing to chance.

warren0728
November 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM
cb....i agree with what everyone else said about you....you are truly a special person and your posts are always a refreshing reminder of what's really important in life! i've said it before....shiner is a lucky man!

the kiddos and i went to my grandmother's house (about a 2 1/2 hour trip)....she is 92 years old and as always was right in the middle of all the action....cooking and making sure everyone else was ok....she is a very special lady....the group was smaller this year....only 21 of us (last year there were 28!)

it is the one time every year that the entire family gets together so it is a day of cousins playing....adults catching up....bull shetting....playing football with the kiddos, etc....

i made some fudge and my famous pumpkin roll for the desert table....

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/ww0728/food/pumpkin_roll.jpg

peachhead
November 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Wow, Warren, after all I've eaten in the past 24 hours, that still looks yummy :drool:

Thanksgiving is a large gathering for us as well. We have had it at our house the past couple of years and this year of course was even better, with the birthday girl. My grandmother is 98 and my mother is not in the best of health, so every holiday at this point is something to remember.

Childbride
November 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
:)

every moment is a treasure.

i got to unplug, with my byproxy and husband, for a blessed couple of days. soon, i will be with the rest of my family.

riding home from the byproxy's house in the passenger's seat of the cab of shiner's truck, i played my favorite game from childhood.

i fixed my eyes, and watched the trees in all their multicolors and their branches dance in circles as we passed.

the symphonies that we live...

i give thanks for my family, my friends, the troops that protect our freedoms, the guitar, and the Fret.

shiner and i have been working on a new recording. :)

may all of you continue to have a most restful, wonderful, memorable holiday weekend.
k

player
November 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Glad everyone seems to have had a good time...including here spending quality time with the whole fam damily - priceless:master: as some may not be with us next year but hope wrong about that.ah yes first near a machine since the 25th - loved it

just strum
November 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You know how they say Elvis is still alive.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that Mother Theresa is still alive and she's living in Waco. She's also not nearly as old as we thought she was.

CB, you are a saint.

player
November 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
You know how they say Elvis is still alive.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that Mother Theresa is still alive and she's living in Waco. She's also not nearly as old as we thought she was.

CB, you are a saint.
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/market_03/th_42.gifseconded :bravo:

Childbride
November 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
natch. not a saint. :)

a sinner seeking redemption.

Peachhead, i can't fathom worrying about a 98-yr-old; i get tied in fits worrying about my 90-yr-old. :thwap:

i was just on the phone with both the kids. daughter-by-proxy was cursing, driving home in a blowing snow in kansas. i told her to just hold out for three more weeks, and told her the temp here.

[she's on the phone with shiner right now, laughing and cutting up]

happy holidays,
k

peachhead
November 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
CB, 90 is just a whippersnapper :rotflmao:

For 98 she gets around pretty good. This is from a few months ago. All I did was hold it up out of the bucket.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_3602493207bc0c416.jpg

street music
November 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Just glad that all went so well for you CB & Shiner. The wife and I have been out most all day with Kodiak and Mrs Kodiak mall hopping and enjoying great food and music together. They will leave tomorrow for their home near Louisville and then return for Christmas with us. It's really nice to spend time with them both, I know that I have the best daughter-in-law that there is in the world.

tjcurtin1
November 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Good to hear everyone's TG family stories...

CB - sounds like your byproxy's are nice folks that you get along with and enjoy; I think they need another title, something that fits your warm words and pictures better!

Kazz
November 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
CB....I always enjoy reading your posts of reflections....All too often we get so busy with day to day life that we do not stop to think about the important things and family members that are outside the perimeter of our homes and work.

I am very jaded in life, but I find that your posts put a smile on my face frequently. You have the uncanny knack for saying exactly what I feel about my own Grandmother who will be 78 in January. She is in a nursing home recuperating from a broken hip and in advanced stages of Alzheimer's. My grandmother has always been the rock of the family and generally the mouthpiece too. Always outspoken on alot of different subjects most of which would not be politically correct :-) she kept us all on our toes. It is very hard for me dealing with this because she is only a shell of what she once was and most days has no idea who any of us are. Just breaks my heart.

So when you let loose of an insightful post like this it takes away a bit of the sadness from my life and momentarily replaces it with a much needed smile. Thank you for being you....and thank Shiner for sharing you with us.

Childbride
November 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
thank you all... :)

maybe when we share, we memorialize them... and smile, at least in our hearts.

loved hearing all of your stories, thank you for sharing! :D