PDA

View Full Version : Video: Suhr Classic through a Heatseeker 18

Robert
November 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Here's my newly acquired Suhr Classic through my 18 watt tube head and Avatar 2x12 with Eminence Wizards. There is noticeable hum, and that's because I'm playing kinda loud and I'm sitting right in front of the speaker. The one I thing I wish this guitar had is the SSC system - noise cancellation. I might buy this later, we'll see. I went to the jam last night with it, and the hum wasn't so bad since I was not standing right in front of my amp. My Hellhound sounded better than ever last night! :dude: This guitar definitely make all my amps sound better.

The clip is kinda long... sorry for that but I had too much fun and I just messed around for a looooooong time. :)
I used a Maxon SD-9 for distortion. I was amazed at how much more I am getting out of this pedal with this guitar. Amazing.

pwxI6Za4Xvc

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Sounds great. I think the Squier's and SX can expect a long rest.

Jimi75
November 28th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Robert, the definition of the tone is awesome. I realized that the tone develops/emerges pretty fast, so to say directly in ya face! The tones shape in a nice way when you play with the activated od9, especially around 12th fret you get that unbeatable Jimi's Band Of Gypsys kinda sound. Seems as if you get a lot of beautiful overtones on the entire fretboard. This is a high qualitiy guitar built for performers and not collectors, one can hear this in your clip.

Now you only need the Badger 18 or 30 - played that thing yesterday during lunch break and it burns.

J75

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Wow!!!!!!!

Fantastic!

You pronounced the name like "sir" I would've guessed "sure" but I don't know.

Andy
November 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
very tasty playing ! , It's obvious this guitar is inspiring for you. and I can hear why, it sounds Great!

:AOK:

SuperSwede
November 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Sounds good Robert!

Gil Janus
November 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds very nice - some great tones there Robert. :master:

It looks and sounds like you got a great guitar there.

Gil :cool:

sunvalleylaw
November 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Sounds really great Robert, and you can tell you absolutely love it which is also so important. Sounds like you found a "just right" guitar for you! Congrats!

aeolian
November 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Looks like you got a guitar capable of matching your playing skills. The Suhr really does have that classic Strat tone, very nice!

Is the hum due to 'regular' single coils in the guitar? The pickups sound extremely good though. I hope the noiseless system won't hurt the guitar's tone.

Robert
November 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys!

I am not sure how you pronounce "Suhr"...

The hum is due to regular single coils yes. I was sitting right in front of the amp, turned up pretty loud. That's what happens with all single coils. The noiseless system is supposed to keep the sound identical. I have already talked to John Suhr about it... I'm gonna send him this video too and what he thinks.

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys!

I am not sure how you pronounce "Suhr"...

The hum is due to regular single coils yes. I was sitting right in front of the amp, turned up pretty loud. That's what happens with all single coils. The noiseless system is supposed to keep the sound identical. I have already talked to John Suhr about it... I'm gonna send him this video too and what he thinks.

In reference to a comment: How do you crank up your amp and sit right in front of it? No hearing problems?

oldguy
November 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Robert,
Nice guitar!
Man that was a short 12+ min. video.......... :AOK:
What I mean is, I was digging it and all the sudden it's over!
Very nice demo of the Suhr, the Heatseeker, the Maxon, and your playing.
I was grinning every time you swept the guitar around and getting that sweet feedback off the Wizards.:D
I've said it before, I'll say it again...... nothing gets the sound and feel of a good amph cranked, does it? (A modeler through headphones may sound good, but not the same thing)
Do you notice how you just feel the notes and chords bounce off the fretboard when those speakers are movin' some air and thumpin' off your chest?

Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed it.
(btw, my Strats hum pretty loud when the amph's are cranked, too.I just crank 'em and play over it.:rockon: )

sunvalleylaw
November 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Looks like you got a guitar capable of matching your playing skills. The Suhr really does have that classic Strat tone, very nice!

Is the hum due to 'regular' single coils in the guitar? The pickups sound extremely good though. I hope the noiseless system won't hurt the guitar's tone.

That would be my concern too. Glad you are going to consult Mr. Suhr about it. If you would lose even a little bit of that articulate sound and great tone, I would just accept the hum. Sounds great! :AOK:

Blaze
November 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Superb sounding guitar ,that clean tone is awesome , does it have much more output than your other axes.Congrats Rob you made the right choice ..

Blazes:bravo:

hubberjub
November 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Don't let the hum bother you. You'll learn to deal with it. Beautiful guitar.

Katastrophe
November 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty suhr that's what it sounds like upon entry into heaven.

Beautiful guitar, Robert, and great tones!

Next time, though, you need to say "Hello, this is Robert, Friendly Forum Boss, Global Moderator, and big veined, Suhr owning guitar badass of TheFret.net!"

Great, now you've got me GASing for expensive gear now. :thwap:

sumitomo
November 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Very nice!Great playing and Tone to die for!Even with that rosewood fingerboard its very bright.Sumi:D

Robert
November 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks! Kat, I'll try and remember that.

Regarding the output Blazes, no it's not much more output, just better output!

And I'm already half deaf, so that's why sitting in front of a loud amp is just what I need in order to hear anything. ;)

I thought it was very cool that John Suhr himself contacted me (after he apparently found the video) and said something like, "great playing and glad you like the guitar - let me know if you have any questions regarding it." That impresses me.

tjcurtin1
November 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Great new palette of tones to add to your arsenal, Robert - what a beautiful clean sound - clear and chimey. Of course, always a pleasure to hear you 'noodle around'; you make anything sound great, and this guitar is clearly not just 'anything'.

Tone2TheBone
November 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Those pickups sound good. Noise is noise it's overrated. ;) Glad you like your Suhr...way to make it happen!

FrankAxtell
November 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Your new Guitar is awesome:bravo: ...that will most likely be my next guitar also...right now I'm looking at the Suhr OD 100 classic+ amp.

street music
November 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
HOLY SUHR BATMAN! Robert that axe sounds really great! I guess you won't be needing that Squirer now so, you can ship it to my address, I'll pay the shipping costand keep it clean for years to come because you won't remember it.

abraxas
December 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Great job Robert! Congrats again for the purchase!

Does it have the V60LP pickups? If so, those are the same I have in my home-grown Strat. Some people think they are "too hot", I believe they're brilliant. Also, a little tweaking in pickup height goes a long way.

If you are considering getting the silent circuit bear in mind that you have to replace the mid pickup with one which is not RWRP. IMHO the guitar doesn't need the SSC unless you play under a lot of fluorescent lights, have "dirty" AC power etc.

Robert
December 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'd like a CAE OD-100 too!

I am keeping my Squier!

Yes it has V60LP pups. Fantastic pups, and I think I will keep it as it is without adding on the SSC system. Thanks guys.

jpfeifer
December 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Robert,

Congrats! The axe sounds great. I was away for a while so I didn't get a chance to see that you had posted a video of it. Cool!

-- Jim