PDA

View Full Version : Vox AD30VT Satisfaction

bigoldron
November 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Any of you have any feelings one way or another about the Vox AD30VT amp? I've got a shot at one on Ebay for (hopefully) a really good price, but I know nothing of the amp other than it's a Vox with a tube. I'm looking for an inexpensive tube amp to experiment with and am looking at either this one or a Crate V18 or V30.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. :AOK:

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Any of you have any feelings one way or another about the Vox AD30VT amp? I've got a shot at one on Ebay for (hopefully) a really good price, but I know nothing of the amp other than it's a Vox with a tube. I'm looking for an inexpensive tube amp to experiment with and am looking at either this one or a Crate V18 or V30.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. :AOK:

From the Vox site: Before you read on, I have one, several people here have them, and for the most part everyone seems to like or love them.

VOX Valve Reactor for true tube power amp sound and feel.
The AD100VT, AD50VT, AD50VT-212, AD30VT and AD15VT feature our patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit, a virtual output transformer and a dummy speaker circuit that simulates the impedance changes of a real speaker. It also reconfigures itself so that its characteristics are the same as the amps it’s modeling (class A, class AB, negative feedback circuit, etc.). This means that all of the nuances of the original amp model including sound, feel, distortion and presence are reproduced accurately.

Eleven realistic amp models using sophisticated modeling technology
A total of eleven coveted amp types are provided. Starting with the classic AC30 and ranging from vintage to modern, higain to clean, a variety of amp models are built-in, giving you an incredible range of sound-creating potential. Selecting the amp model and adjusting the tone controls is as intuitive as it gets – just turn the knobs!

Eleven high-quality effects cover the basics
Nine standard effects indispensable for any guitarist are built-in. These include auto wah, compressor, phaser, chorus, flanger, tremolo, rotary, delay and reverb. With the addition of combination-type effects, you have a total of eleven effects to choose from. Each effect lets you adjust several parameters. There’s also a Tap button that makes it easy to set the delay time or modulation speed.

Save your user programs in CH1 or CH2
Channel Select mode lets you save two of your own programs, including the combination of amp and effect settings. You can access either channel at a touch, for immediate switching while you play.

Easily select the classic sound for each amp type
The new Preset mode gives you a tonal starting point for each amp model. You can enter Preset mode at the touch of a button, and then simply choose an amp model to automatically get the preset sound for that amp. Select a Preset, modify it and save it to CH1 or CH2.

Manual mode lets you hear your exact sound settings
In Manual mode, the sound you’re hearing will be exactly what the knob settings indicate – just as on a conventional amp. It’s visually intuitive, so it’s quick and easy to create just the sound you’re looking for.
Convenient line/headphone jack for home recording or late-night practising
You can connect the line/headphone jack to your mixer, multi-track recorder or headphones. Since the character of the cabinet is also added to this signal, the sound will have a sense of ’air’ and depth even when you’re listening through headphones or recording direct. The AD100VT, AD50VT & AD50VT212 all have an external speaker output, and effect-loop jacks have been built into the AD100VT making it convenient to connect with external effect processors.

Adjust the output wattage of the power amp
The AD100VT, AD50VT & AD30VT let you adjust the output wattage from 1~100W(AD100VT), 1~50W(AD50VT & AD50VT-212) & 1~30W(AD30VT) so you can lower the volume without losing the sense of drive that’s unique to tube amps. You can get the great distinctive tube sound at a volume that’s appropriate for any location.

Footswitchable control

bigoldron
November 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Mark. See you got that avatar fixed. :D

marnold
November 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I love mine. If I were buying new, I'd look at the new VT line. That fixes the main complaints I've had with the AD30VT, namely, that the line out is before the tube so the output from the line out sounds little like it does through the speaker. I also like the extra channels you can save things too and the fact that reverb is independent of the other effects.

I haven't played an amp in the AD30VT's range that would make me want to get rid of it.

bigoldron
November 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I love mine. If I were buying new, I'd look at the new VT line. That fixes the main complaints I've had with the AD30VT, namely, that the line out is before the tube so the output from the line out sounds little like it does through the speaker. I also like the extra channels you can save things too and the fact that reverb is independent of the other effects.

I haven't played an amp in the AD30VT's range that would make me want to get rid of it.

Thanks, Reverend Rawk! :D

bigoldron
November 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Well, I snagged it! The seller lives only 35 miles away, so he's letting me pick it up, which saved me $40, plus Ebay had given me a 10% discount coupon, so that helped with the price too. So, I'm getting what appears to be a "like-new" Vox AD30VT! According to the auction ad, his son had not played it in over a year, and, if looks are anything, he didn't use it a whole lot when I did.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller as to a pickup place, but I'm going over to Dothan, AL on Monday afternoon and told him such, so hopefully I'll bring her home Monday night.

Can't wait to hear how she sounds!!! :AOK: :rockon: :dude:

aeolian
November 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Not to cause you more GAS, but many of us, myself included, upgrade the speaker to a better one. I went with one of the most popular recommendations for AD30VT speaker replacement, and that would be a Celestion G10.

Also make sure you spend time exploring the manual mode for this amp. In most people's opinion you can get much better sound if you tweak the manual mode than just sticking with the preset amp sim settings. Now I almost never use the preset settings.

just strum
November 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Not to cause you more GAS, but many of us, myself included, upgrade the speaker to a better one. I went with one of the most popular recommendations for AD30VT speaker replacement, and that would be a Celestion G10.

Also make sure you spend time exploring the manual mode for this amp. In most people's opinion you can get much better sound if you tweak the manual mode than just sticking with the preset amp sim settings. Now I almost never use the preset settings.

Another option is one that Duff recommended - Ragin' Cajun

ShortBuSX
November 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I've got a shot at one on Ebay for (hopefully) a really good price, but I know nothing of the amp other than it's a Vox with a tube.

Ive got one Id considered selling for sometime...Ive settled on keeping it(solely) for use with my Loopstation.
I placed an ad on Craigslist in hopes of getting $195 for it...I got no responses on it. I soon began to notice others popping up for $175 and even $150...they kept reposting week after week without selling.
Having said that...I wouldnt pay more than $150 for a used one.

In the future I plan to avoid modelers...there really is just too much going on there for me. I find its infinite adjustability to be too much and too overwheming...and difficult to get back to where you wanna be without documenting where youre at(all of the time).

In my opinion, Id go with something simpler, with more tubes and more tube tone.

Kazz
November 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I am in the market for one of those AD30VT amps....and I too am understanding that good ones can be had for $150 or less. I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I would consider trading with some boot money of course.

tot_Ou_tard
November 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
In the future I plan to avoid modelers...there really is just too much going on there for me. I find its infinite adjustability to be too much and too overwheming...and difficult to get back to where you wanna be without documenting where youre at(all of the time).

In my opinion, Id go with something simpler, with more tubes and more tube tone.
I'm with ShortBus. Too many options gets in the way of understanding a guitar/amph combo.

If you have a lot of experience & know what you are looking for it's great.

I just park it on a model & pretend that it's a one channel amp.

warren0728
November 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I am in the market for one of those AD30VT amps....and I too am understanding that good ones can be had for $150 or less. I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I would consider trading with some boot money of course.
i might be interested in a trade....

marnold
November 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I suppose the learning curve is a bit higher, but with the exception of doing serious effect tweaking, the AD30VT isn't exactly rocket surgery. Certainly nothing along the line of a POD or the Digitech RP series.

My playing styles vary widely. Little tube amps will do the clean/bluesy thing well but don't do high-gain very well. I figure that if I have to slam the amp with a metal pedal, I might as well stick with the AD30VT. That's not to say that I wouldn't like one or that I haven't GASsed for the likes of a Blackheart, but I need flexibility while still feeding the kids.

just strum
November 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
That's not to say that I wouldn't like one or that I haven't GASsed for the likes of a Blackheart, but I need flexibility while still feeding the kids.

What I found is that the RP connected to the Valve Jr gives me the same (actually more) versatility as my AD30VT when it comes to different tones. I get a wide selection of amps and cabs, as well as distortion, chorus/FX, Delay, and Reverb.

When I finally downloaded the X-Edit software, it really simplified its use. I'm not knocking the AD30VT because I still give it a lot of use, but the RP added to the enjoyment of the VJr.

Pick up a used tube and a used RP, you can still feed the family. I bought the RP 350 because I got a good deal, but the other RP's are capable of providing as much versatility.

stingx
November 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Wow, that's a bold statement. I wouldn't trade the C30 for an AD30VT. Uh uh...no friggin' way.

warren0728
November 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
What I found is that the RP connected to the Valve Jr gives me the same (actually more) versatility as my AD30VT when it comes to different tones. I get a wide selection of amps and cabs, as well as distortion, chorus/FX, Delay, and Reverb.

When I finally downloaded the X-Edit software, it really simplified its use. I'm not knocking the AD30VT because I still give it a lot of use, but the RP added to the enjoyment of the VJr.

Pick up a used tube and a used RP, you can still feed the family. I bought the RP 350 because I got a good deal, but the other RP's are capable of providing as much versatility.

i totally agree....i like my rp250 into a tube amp using x-edit way better than my ad30vt!!

street music
November 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
DOESN'T anybody use FENDER AMPS anymore? I must one of the few from what you guys are saying???????????????

Kazz
November 30th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Wow, that's a bold statement. I wouldn't trade the C30 for an AD30VT. Uh uh...no friggin' way.

I said with a little boot money Sting.....For one I do not play out...I never plan on playing out, I only play for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my family....albeit the family much prefers the quiet tones of the Acoustic rather than the full onslaught of Electric.

The Classic 30 is just entirely too much amp for family room playing volumes. Not to mention I have had it for about 2 years now and I am ready to explore the Vox world for a while.

warren0728
November 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM
DOESN'T anybody use FENDER AMPS anymore? I must one of the few from what you guys are saying???????????????
i do.... :AOK: :beer:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_35491770483f8fa.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=779)

street music
November 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for that Warren, I was beginning to think that I alone in that field.:thwap:

just strum
November 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
What Kazz fails to tell you is he wants alligator skin boots with diamonds running up the side.

ShortBuSX
November 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I suppose the learning curve is a bit higher, but with the exception of doing serious effect tweaking, the AD30VT isn't exactly rocket surgery. Certainly nothing along the line of a POD or the Digitech RP series.

My playing styles vary widely. Little tube amps will do the clean/bluesy thing well but don't do high-gain very well. I figure that if I have to slam the amp with a metal pedal, I might as well stick with the AD30VT. That's not to say that I wouldn't like one or that I haven't GASsed for the likes of a Blackheart, but I need flexibility while still feeding the kids.

Its not rocket surgery, but it does require alot of study.
For example...you goto one of the (factory preset)Fender models you like, but then its got too much effect and the bass just isnt right for you...it already becomes tricky. You turn one knob and that factory preset is out the window and you scramble to find anything close.
Yeah, you could goto Voodooman's site, print out the factory presets, set your amp to manual and then dial in the factory preset...and then adjust your bass.
Besides all that...I never found a great setting for my Les Paul on there, and the high gain stuff is really where the modeling showed its weakness. To me it just sounded fake with the high gain. Dont get me wrong, I like the Fender and Vox models...but anything to the right of the dial was useless to me.

The AD30 drove me to Fender amps...Ive got 2, a Deville 410 and a Blues Jr.

But I can understand why hed wanna go with the AD30 vs his Classic 30...the Vox has that built in attenuator...but why not just buy an attenuator??? Otherwise I think youre really gonna kick yourself shortly down the road.

street music
November 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
HEy ShortBUS, I like the Deville and would like to have a BLUES someday.

stingx
November 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I want EVERY amp I set my eyes on. I will not be satisfied until I own one of each ever made!

Kazz
November 30th, 2008, 02:16 PM
What Kazz fails to tell you is he wants alligator skin boots with diamonds running up the side.

No....I already had alligator skin boots once....eel skin and Burmese python skin too

Blaze
November 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
It s in french but you can hear pretty much every sounds or combination..

http://www.guitaretv.com/test-des-amplis-vox-valvetronix-ad30vt-et-ad50vt-video-44.html

Blazes

marnold
November 30th, 2008, 08:57 PM
bigoldiron,

Let us know how you like the Vox. If you've got any questions, start a thread or shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help.

street music,

Plenty of folks use Fender amps, but that's not really what this thread was started for. I'd really like a Blackface for clean stuff but Fender doesn't really do the bonecrushing metal thing that I love so dearly. I suppose my ideal amp would be a 5 watter that would sound just like a Plexi and wouldn't cost $80 bajillion. While I'm dreaming, I'd also like a pony.

Kazz,

I'd be slow to sell the Classic 30 if I were you. As much as I like my AD30VT, I've a feeling that letting that one go would end up in the "trades I never should have made" file.

sunvalleylaw
November 30th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I second that on the C-30. I really love mine. But that is just me. I may add a Peavey modeler or an AD30 or DA5 at some point, but I would be very reluctant to get rid of my C-30 and would do so only if I really needed to.

bigoldron
December 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM
Today is new amph day for me! Going to pick the VOX up this afternoon. Can't wait to get home and try her out. Give me a few days to get familiar with it and I'll post some clips. After listening to Robert and some of you others, I'm a little embarassed to try. I ain't that good...