PDA

View Full Version : Hard Case?

M29
June 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Hello All,

I am looking for a hard case for my Squier Strat and '51. Do you guys have any recommendations for an (inexpensive) hard case? Also, will the '51 fit a Strat case? If I can get by with one case for either of these two guitars that would be great.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Tone2TheBone
June 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Don't like gig bags? The cheap hardshell cases that I've had experience with aren't even worth having IMHO. For example I got some hardshell case when I got my Strat several years ago and its too big and bulky and the guitar slides down inside. In comparison the SKB Freedom case holds a strat inside perfectly and won't allow any movement. It protects the guitar very well during travel and is quite smaller in design than that cheap bulky hard shell case. I highly recommend the Freedom case for your guitars....even though it's probably more in price than your '51. In your case I'd just use a decent gig bag that you can get for $30.00.

M29
June 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Hello tone2thebone,

Thank you for the info. I am new to taking a guitar anywhere but from room to room and 30 years ago the guys I new were all using hardshell cases. I will look into the gig bags, I like the looks of them and do not like the bulk like you say with the hardshell cases.

Thanks again tone2thebone

M29

Spudman
June 18th, 2006, 10:29 PM
If I'm gigging locally or going to a jam session I will usually just take my guitars in a heavily padded gig bag. They are lighter, easier to stash and I can carry other goodies in them as well because of the large pockets on the front.

On the other hand...if I'm going to be packing a lot of gear in someone else's rig and have to sandwich guitars in then I use a hard case, or if I'm going out for a lengthy period (more than a weekend) I'll use hard cases. I also use a hard case for all my more expensive keeper guitars. It's just good insurance and cheap protection. If you have a guitar of real value then eventually get a hard case for it. Otherwise gig bags are great.

FLASH! They still have them for $20 on sale.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Elite-Series-Electric-Guitar-Gig-Bag?sku=545160

The best deal I've found is the...Hmmm, I just went to the Musicians Friend web site and they no longer have the gig bags that I got for $20. They are awesome but I guess I got a deal because they were clearing them out. These were the ones I was going to tell you about. Great deal.

So anyway...plan B

I absolutely love my Fender double gig bag. 2 guitars-one bag.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Double-Guitar-Gigbag?sku=540056

The 51 should fit a standard Strat hard case.

tremoloman
June 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Gator makes awesome hard cases for relatively low money. Here's their website:

http://www.gatorcases.com/

Many retailers sell their hard cases for as low as $50 or $60. I find them better than the Fender ones for $150.

Katastrophe
June 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Anohter vote for SKB... I've got one of their injection molded plastic racks for my remaining rack gear. The processors are broken pieces of crap, but the case is plenty tough.:D

PS... the processors were broken BEFORE I bought the case.;)

kerc
June 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Anyone here has tried the MF hard cases?

Iago
June 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
no, but the tweed ones look really nice

Bloozcat
June 26th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Anyone here has tried the MF hard cases?

I have a black case and a tweed case from MF. The black case is about 4 years old and the tweed case about 1 1/2 years old. I mention the time I've owned them because I think the level of quality has increased in the last couple of years. The tweed case was only $10.00 more than the black cases, but it is measurably better. It's actual tweed cloth (although not necessarily the best tweed cloth), the interior padding is better, and the hardware is better than the black case I own. About the only things that they obviously could have done better with the tweed case is if they had: A) Glued the tweed to the exterior of the case better, and: B) If they had made better restraints that stop the top portion of the case when it's at the straight up open position (90 degrees to the bottom of the case). The restraints are only made of a thin ribbon-like material.

My cases don't get any really hard use or abuse, so they work well enough. If I played out a lot in conditions where there might be some rough handling, I think I'd opt for a well padded molded case. Tweed looks pretty, but I'd rather have a utilitarian case that protects my guitar in those circumstances.

tremoloman
June 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I had a MF tweed case. They look nice nut are nowhere near as solid as the Fender ones. Both my Strats and Tele slid around when the lid was closed, so I wasn't too happy with it myself. I gave it away in a trade for a good solid "hard bag".