PDA

View Full Version : Layla

stingx
November 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Eric Clapton and Band performing Layla from 2001 One More Car One More Rider Tour. This is a HiFi stereo clip from my special stash. Enjoy! It doesn't get much better than this, folks.

IKsgMWUTwhc

Andy
November 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM
nice ! so much better than the incessant twin guitar noodeling on the last half of the studio version.

stingx
November 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
nice ! so much better than the incessant twin guitar noodeling on the last half of the studio version.

That "noodling" is, in part, responsible for me picking up the guitar :D Check out the remaster of Layla where the muddiness is cleaned up and you can REALLY hear them go at it!

bigoldron
November 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Pardon my French, but it's damn frustrating knowing you'll never get a whole lot better than you are now. I've been playing off and on for 10-15 years over a 30 year period and I just don't see myself getting even a 1/10th as good as Clapton or even the 5 year old Japanese girl in the other post. It is a HUMBLING experience. God, it makes me almost want to sell all my equipment and take up a new hobby. 'Course it's been a somewhat frustrating day overall, but that's the story of my life.

Clapton was and still is one of the greatest of all time.

sumitomo
November 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I hear ya Ron,I too have been playing on and off for 15 yrs. and I'm not that good but maybe that is why I enjoy it so much,Its a great challange and well nobody sounds like me.(I dont know if thats good or bad but that's what I've heard.)Sumi:D

marnold
December 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
Pardon my French, but it's damn frustrating knowing you'll never get a whole lot better than you are now. I've been playing off and on for 10-15 years over a 30 year period and I just don't see myself getting even a 1/10th as good as Clapton or even the 5 year old Japanese girl in the other post. It is a HUMBLING experience. God, it makes me almost want to sell all my equipment and take up a new hobby. 'Course it's been a somewhat frustrating day overall, but that's the story of my life.
Don't worry about being the next Clapton (or five-year-old Japanese girl for that matter). Concentrate on being the first you. Plus, I'd prefer not to have to go through the whole cocaine addiction thing, thank you very much.

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Plus, I'd prefer not to have to go through the whole cocaine addiction thing, thank you very much.
....or heroin. Or alcoholism. Or going through relationships as frequently as most people change their underwear. Like the blues lyric goes, "It's a mean old world"....especially when you're your own worst enemy. After reading his autobio, I think EC would be the first to tell you that.

ShootTheGlass
December 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Don't worry about being the next Clapton (or five-year-old Japanese girl for that matter). Concentrate on being the first you. Plus, I'd prefer not to have to go through the whole cocaine addiction thing, thank you very much.

To be honest, to play as well as clapton, id welcome the coke addiction! :P

tot_Ou_tard
December 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Exquisite Sting. Thanks!

First you have to play like God..then you can have the coke addiction.

player
December 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'd rather be me playing my own style Not the folks like Clapton,Jeff Beck,Hendrix,etc did not help or influence they did along with many others including The Ventures,Jan and Dean,Santos and Johnnie,etc,etc.

oldguy
December 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM

If you'd ever spent any time around an addict, I doubt you'd say that......
speaking from experience here.............it's not fun, it's not cool, it's not enjoyable........trust me........

Jimi75
December 2nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Clapton's playing is as it is with all great players a result of a lot of experiences such players made. Taking this into consideration I'd rather play the way I play right now and don't have to go through that hell Clapton went through. His alcohol and drug addiction is peanuts against the loss of his son.

Thanks for posting this great video. The quality is exceptional.

Katastrophe
December 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Brilliant, stingx. Great post, man! Clapton's tone was superb, and his playing, well... he's Clapton, fer cryin' out loud!

:AOK:

Clapton's life is an epic tale of success, excess, addiction, tragedy and redemption. It all ends up in his playing these days, and I think he's never sounded better.

To Ron and Sumi: I realized about 10 years ago that I'm not gonna be the next Paul Gilbert or Yngwie Malmsteen, no matter how many hours a day I put into practice. My style and phrasing leans more towards melody than speed. I remember playing in the bands I was in at the time, and my other band members would say, "That's pretty. Could you play something more aggressive?" My old guitar teacher used to tell me that I had the chops, but I needed to be more "jaded," whatever that means.

I'm cool with that. Now, when I have time to practice, I still work on technique, but my focus is more on coming up with phrases, lines and rhythms that I enjoy. For me lately, oddly enough, it's been leaning more towards a bluesy, gospely kinda feel that I really dig.

I still suck at guitar, though.;)

Andy
December 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
no offence to clapton or his legion of worshipers, but it's not like he plays some unobtainable thing. he plays the simple blues. now his phrasing and style are obviously clapton. but anyone here can learn to solo in the style of clapton,it doesn't require addiction or some voodoo magic.

learn some blues and put your own feel into it.
the key to clapton is simplicity and alot of feeling,thats the key to any blues playing.

clapton himself said in a recient interview that, even tho he can seem to do no wrong, deep down he feels that he's been just going thru the motions for many years, that he had lost the fire that he had way back when. he went on to say that he want's to bring that back to his playing,In gained a ton of respect for him to admit that, he's only human.

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Personally I think that version is rather weak compared to the D&D version. No disrespect to Clapton. I appreciate EC's licks as much as anyone, but outside of the Bluesbreaker's album I have never really cared much for his tone. It's just too thin.

It also comes down to the presence vs the absence of Duane. Duane's tone made D&D for me. Duane's playing is what caught my ear and never let go. I'm not saying this version is not good, it just doesn't compare to the original. Actually, for a good live version, check out some Allman Brothers Band shows from the last few years. I have at least one show where they gave it a run and Warren & Derek brought some very interesting playing to the table. Still not the original, but as for live versions, I thought it was better than this one.

Check out the remaster of Layla where the muddiness is cleaned up and you can REALLY hear them go at it!
I agree completely. I was listening to the re-master again a couple of weeks ago (on Duane's birthday) and it makes a huge difference. I always loved the original album, but it is now so much cleaner and so much easier to identify which parts are EC and which parts are Duane. Well worth buying the album again (and the disc of extra jams is spectacular).

marnold
December 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
I agree completely. I was listening to the re-master again a couple of weeks ago (on Duane's birthday) and it makes a huge difference. I always loved the original album, but it is now so much cleaner and so much easier to identify which parts are EC and which parts are Duane. Well worth buying the album again (and the disc of extra jams is spectacular).
Anybody have an Amazon or some similar link to that?

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Here you go Marnold...

http://www.amazon.com/Layla-Sessions-20th-Anniversary/dp/B000001FZ5/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music