PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what wood was used...

kerc
June 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
...For Hamer's Slammer DA3 Strat clones built around 1998?

I have one and, thought I'm absolutely sure it's not plywood, I'd love to know what it's made off. It's pretty light and not too hard (it has quite a few dinges, although it can be inpart due to the extremely thin finish)...

On Harmony Central, some people mentioned "alder" but I don't know...Any ideas?

Spudman
June 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I always thought the Slammers were ply. Otherwise it might be poplar or basswood. I'm not sure.

kerc
June 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I always thought the Slammers were ply. Otherwise it might be poplar or basswood. I'm not sure.

PAC Slammers are ply...the older Korean DA models are solid wood...I was thinking that it could basswood, because it's rather easy to dent...

ibanez_freak36
June 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Hello for years Hammer has been known to use Bass wood to make guitars and Birch wood. Being an X-lumberjack turned musician, I have had 2 slammers. Unfortunately 1 fell out of its stand and cracked in half. It was a Bass core, the other I stripped and had repainted and it was birch. Other than that the weight is a definate dead giveaway, light woods used in guitars are Bass wood, Birch, and Mahogany. Maple has a heavier bottom weight and Cherry cracks to easy unless it is on an SG,because of its size. Hope that is of some use to you

Chris

kerc
June 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM
Hello for years Hammer has been known to use Bass wood to make guitars and Birch wood. Being an X-lumberjack turned musician, I have had 2 slammers. Unfortunately 1 fell out of its stand and cracked in half. It was a Bass core, the other I stripped and had repainted and it was birch. Other than that the weight is a definate dead giveaway, light woods used in guitars are Bass wood, Birch, and Mahogany. Maple has a heavier bottom weight and Cherry cracks to easy unless it is on an SG,because of its size. Hope that is of some use to you

Chris

Awesome info, Chris, thanks! Is there a noticeable grain difference between birch and basswood? I think your knowledge in wood types will be found useful by everyone here!

:)

r_a_smith3530
June 22nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Other than that the weight is a definate dead giveaway, light woods used in guitars are Bass wood, Birch, and Mahogany.

Chris

Chris, how do you figure Mahogany in on that? The heaviest guitars that I have ever owned were the ones made either primarily or completely out of Mahogany. I've owned four 'Hogs, a '74 Gibby Les Paul Custom that was an absolute boat anchor, my '83 G&L S-500, a solid 'Hog quasi-strat style guitar that was fairly hefty next to its ash bretheren, my '84 LP Studio, which while somewhat lighter than my old Paul is still nowhere near what someone would call a lightweight, and finally, my all Mahogany '85 G&L L-2000 bass, the heaviest bass that my guitar tech has ever seen, and he's owned three Peavey T-40's! He's nicknamed my bass "the Tank of Tone!"

I've owned guitars made of Poplar, Alder, and Ash in addition to the above, and they were all lighter than my Mahogany crew. Just my own experience, limited as it might be.

Iago
June 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Mahogany is one of the heaviest "guitar woods" there is. I can`t think of a heavier one right now...

kerc
June 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
Mahogany is one of the heaviest "guitar woods" there is. I can`t think of a heavier one right now...

I think both rosewood and maple are heavier...

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Here are a few guitar wood guides...

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Articles/Guitars_Wood_And_Tone/
http://www.bcrich.com/customshop/woodguide.asp