PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Wii - looking for games

Robert
December 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Inlaws gave us a Wii, and it came with the sports games, which are great. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for kid games for a 5 year-old?

Maybe there are some cool games for an oldie like myself too?

oldguy
December 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
Wii.......... I mean, we have Mario Kart and Mario Super Galaxy, which are pretty cool. Mario Kart comes with the little steering wheel you drive with.
You might like Guitar Hero World Tour, I haven't played it.
Not sure about games for the 5 yr. old........our youngest just turned 16 in October.

You might check this link for most popular, most recent, etc.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/

Robert
December 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Wii will take a look at that... ;)

oldguy
December 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I didn't mention it, but my wife just bought the Wii Fit....although it's not really a game, but an exercise program. It's pretty cool, also.
Skiing, tightrope walking, hula-hoop twirling, powerwalking, balance & strength exercises, and more. (I like to watch her try and hit the soccer balls with her head w/o getting hit with the shoes when they start throwing them...he he he.)
Plus she can do them all indoors when the weather's bad, and she's having lots more fun than on the treadmill. It also charts your progress, and you get a virtual personal trainer, although the trainer's a bit gossipy......."You know 'kicker'? I've been training her, too!" No kidding!

warren0728
December 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM
i was thinking about getting a wii just for wii fit....

sunvalleylaw
December 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Wii.......... I mean, we have Mario Kart and Mario Super Galaxy, which are pretty cool. Mario Kart comes with the little steering wheel you drive with.
You might like Guitar Hero World Tour, I haven't played it.
Not sure about games for the 5 yr. old........our youngest just turned 16 in October.

You might check this link for most popular, most recent, etc.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/

We don't have any yet, but we are getting one this year for the big family present. The kids enjoy Mario Kart and Mario Super Galaxy as Glenn mentions, when they play at their friends. My wife found an outdoor adventure one that sounds cool, I will let you know about that one. I think we are staying away from the guitar hero and music stuff because we have a nice keyboard and guitars etc. at home. I may change my mind. The boys want Lego Star Wars, because they are big into that. (Dad is an old Star Wars fan, boys are legos fans, cross pollination occurs). I don't know if a girl will want that or not.

We are looking for something that my 5 year old girl will like, but the sports games it is coming with and the outdoor adventure one I was mentioning along with the Mario stuff is the only stuff we have found so far. (we haven't looked that hard yet). I don't really want to get anything that is Bratz like for her, and the only one or two I have seen that were girl oriented looked like that kind of thing.

street music
December 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have played the bowling, golf, and boxing on Wii. It sure was fun and I imagine a 5year old could really have fun with some of the younger games.

Tone2TheBone
December 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I don't think the kids will see this but wii already got a Wii family gift stashed for Christmas. Standard Wii sports stuff but wii did get Wii Fit and the crazy boogie board thing. I plan to get an extra controller and nunchuck and probably some other games as stocking stuffers.

oldguy
December 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think you'll love the crazy boogie board thing. I wanna get home this weekend and try it out.......the wife, daughter, and mom-in-law had a ball with it Sat. and Sun.

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think the kids will see this but wii already got a Wii family gift stashed for Christmas. Standard Wii sports stuff but wii did get Wii Fit and the crazy boogie board thing. I plan to get an extra controller and nunchuck and probably some other games as stocking stuffers.

We have the real boogie board thing. I have loved them since I was a kid. What does the Wii one do?

Tone2TheBone
December 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
We have the real boogie board thing. I have loved them since I was a kid. What does the Wii one do?

You use it for some of the whole body movement excersises for Wii Fit. I think you use it to balance yourself and put weight on each leg etc. You can also use it for a Wii snowboarding/SKIING <<<< game if I'm not mistaken. I already can't wait for Christmas morning I ain't going ANYWHERE that day!

Glenn - as long as I don't go breaking my neck off that board I think I'll be good. :)

oldguy
December 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Nah, you'll be allright.......the board's stable, like a big set of scales, you just have to bend, balance, lean, etc. to keep up w/ what's going on onscreen.
The games actually give a pretty good workout if done properly..........at least better than sitting on the couch eating chips while videogaming.

Kazz
December 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I want one just to play golf....

Tibernius
December 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
The boys want Lego Star Wars, because they are big into that. (Dad is an old Star Wars fan, boys are legos fans, cross pollination occurs).

Good choice. The best Star Wars games I've ever played, and I've got most of them from PS1 onwards. :D

Glacies
December 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I didn't read the responses but I bought this for my girl last year for Christmas and we really enjoy it. I'm trying to find rockband for us this year, and Wii Music. Otherwise we play a lot of wii sports, mario kart is cool, and Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm hoping they come out with some new serious baseball games and boxing games. I really enjoy boxing on the wii (used to box myself) and it actually gets pretty challenging once you reach proffessional level in the game.

The_Shredinator21
December 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
well a game you cant go wrong with is rock band it may be just a poser game but its fun