PDA

View Full Version : Radio Shack Fuzz Transistor Experiment

duhvoodooman
December 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
As I mentioned back in THIS POST (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=105655#post105655), when I built my "Radio Shack Fuzz" recently, I used sockets for the two transistors that determine the fuzz distortion character & intensity so that I could try different transistor types in it. While ordering parts for some recent pedal projects, I got a whole bunch of different NPN bipolar silicon trannies to try. See photo below--8 kinds, all different shapes & sizes....and electrical characteristics, which is what is important.

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RS_Fuzz_trannies.jpg

Anyway, being the devious and manipulative soul I am, I decided to record an audio clip repeating the same riff & chord sequence with all 8 of these transistor pairs. The link is below. Recorded with my Strat Plus on the middle+bridge-in-series pickup setting, through my Fender Blues Junior amp. After one "clean" run-through of the riff & chord sequence, it is then followed by 9 repeats, using the RS Fuzz with those 8 pairs of trannies, plus one "ringer" that I included for fun (see if you can pick it out & guess what it is). And please tell me which three of repeats 2 through 10 (#1 is the clean) you like best and why. Assuming you want to play my little game..... :D

RS Fuzz Tranny Clip (http://www.box.net/shared/hf89s7bqvn)

tunghaichuan
December 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hmmm, the next to last sample didn't sound like fuzz to me. I can't put my finger on what it was, though.

That simple circuit sounds surprisingly good.

tung

As I mentioned back in THIS POST (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=105655#post105655), when I built my "Radio Shack Fuzz" recently, I used sockets for the two transistors that determine the fuzz distortion character & intensity so that I could try different transistor types in it. While ordering parts for some recent pedal projects, I got a whole bunch of different NPN bipolar silicon trannies to try. See photo below--8 kinds, all different shapes & sizes....and electrical characteristics, which is what is important.

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RS_Fuzz_trannies.jpg

Anyway, being the devious and manipulative soul I am, I decided to record an audio clip repeating the same riff & chord sequence with all 8 of these transistor pairs. The link is below. Recorded with my Strat Plus on the middle+bridge-in-series pickup setting, through my Fender Blues Junior amp. After one "clean" run-through of the riff & chord sequence, it is then followed by 9 repeats, using the RS Fuzz with those 8 pairs of trannies, plus one "ringer" that I included for fun (see if you can pick it out & guess what it is). And please tell me which three of repeats 2 through 9 (#1 is the clean) you like best and why. Assuming you want to play my little game..... :D

RS Fuzz Tranny Clip (http://www.box.net/shared/hf89s7bqvn)

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hmmm, the next to last sample didn't sound like fuzz to me. I can't put my finger on what it was, though.
I agree 100%! But that is one of the transistor pairs in the RS Fuzz, not the "ringer". Obviously, not all the trannies work equally well! That pair sounds like complete ****. :eek:

I'll give you a hint on the "ringer", though--it IS a fuzz pedal. And a famous one, at that.

tot_Ou_tard
December 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
As usual, I like #1 the best ;).

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
As usual, I like #1 the best ;).
:thwap: :rolleyes:

marnold
December 2nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
And please tell me which three of repeats 2 through 9 (#1 is the clean) you like best and why. Assuming you want to play my little game..... :D
Your instructions are a little confusing since there are actually 9 fuzz versions and one clean. Thus the repeats would be 2-10. Anyway, here are my favorites in order (assuming #1 is the clean one). I added the time in the clip in case my numbering is confusing.

#7 (1:47-2:02)
#4 (0:52-1:09)
#3 (0:34-0:50)

The two I didn't like were the one that Tung mentioned at #9 and #5. Both just sounded too weak to truly be considered Fuzz. I chose the ones that I thought sounded best with both single notes and chords. Other than the two I mentioned above, I wouldn't complain about the rest of them that I didn't choose too much.

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Your instructions are a little confusing since there are actually 9 fuzz versions and one clean. Thus the repeats would be 2-10.
Arggggh!! YES--you're right, I screwed that up! Went back and corrected it in my original post. Thanks for pointing that out, Rev! :AOK: And thanks for your comments, which I think are right on the money.

Tone2TheBone
December 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
The ringer is the octave fuzz right?

duhvoodooman
December 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
The ringer is the octave fuzz right?
Not even close....

duhvoodooman
December 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Geez, I was hoping I'd get more input from you guys on which transistors sounded best in this circuit. I know the ones I like, but this stuff is s-o-o-o subjective, I thought it would be good to get a range of opinions. 'Cept for Marnold and Tone (who e-mailed me), I'm gettin' a whole lot of bupkis here! :(

duhvoodooman
December 6th, 2008, 12:42 PM
OK, OK--apparently this experiment was of little general interest here. Should have posted it over at the BYOC forums, I guess! Admittedly, many of those trannies sound an awful lot alike. The ones that I like best (other than #7, the "ringer"--my new Fuzz Face clone) were 2, 3 and 8. Here's what was what:

1 - CLEAN
2 - 2SC1815
3 - 2N4401
4 - 2N5088
5 - BC108
6 - STS9013
7 - Fuzz Face clone pedal
8 - 2N2222
9 - 2N3440
10 - 2N3904

The 2N3440, a very low gain transistor, gets the "booby prize" here. (No snide comments, gents--we have ladies here). I think the 2SC1815 is probably my favorite.

That Fuzz Face clone amply demonstrates (1) why that circuit is such a classic, and (2) why germanium transistors enjoy the reputation they have. Such smooth, round sustain. Congrats, Marnold--you picked the gem out of the semi-precious stones right away! :AOK:

marnold
December 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Congrats, Marnold--you picked the gem out of the semi-precious stones right away! :AOK:
So does that mean that I win one, then? :)

duhvoodooman
December 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
So does that mean that I win one, then? :)
Not exactly. But feel free to listen to the clip whenever you want! :AOK: