PDA

View Full Version : Web time versus play time - poll

Spudman
December 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'm curious how much time is spent surfing the web as compared to actual guitar (or bass) playing time.

I'd also like to issue a challenge to improve your playing. Spend less time on the web (thefret excluded ;) ) and more time playing. Try to find excuses to pick up the instrument more often and improve your ratio to favor guitar more than computer.

Tone2TheBone
December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Web 20%, Guitar 80%.

Andy
December 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I work on the computer, at home, so I spend alot of time surfing by default, however no matter what, I practice or noodle >atleast< 2 hrs a day.

I usually have a guitar on my lap when I'm surfing,watching tv..ect.
how that equates percentage wise,... hard to figure for me.

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
I work on the computer, at home, so I spend alot of time surfing by default, however no matter what, I practice or noodle >atleast< 2 hrs a day.

I usually have a guitar on my lap when I'm surfing,watching tv..ect.
how that equates percentage wise,... hard to figure for me.

I am similar, but my guitar practice/noodle time is more like an hour or so per day. Maybe less some days. I could certainly do less goof off time on the net and complete obligations quicker so that I can pick up my guitar more.

Tone2TheBone
December 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
I work on computers all day and even at home so my vote only counts at home. There are a few other hobbies I have too so that gets thrown in there as well.

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I work on computers all day and even at home so my vote only counts at home. There are a few other hobbies I have too so that gets thrown in there as well.

Ok, I am going with that view. I will go vote now. If I view it that way, I get more guitar than computer time done. :AOK:

snarph
December 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
its usually one and the same if I am on line I am also got a guitar pluged in ti my Pod XT Live wankin away

just strum
December 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
As of late I would say 50/50, which isn't good. I would like to get it down to 20% web. I do mix the two, but that prevents greater focus on the guitar.

tjcurtin1
December 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Good post/poll Spud - I have often asked myself this question (or flogged myself with it...). I could spend a lot more time playing if I cut out the fluff of various kinds. Thanks for the motivation to quit fooling around!

Spudman
December 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I could spend a lot more time playing if I cut out the fluff of various kinds. Thanks for the motivation to quit fooling around!

Precisely my point. I'm just trying to get everyone thinking about being more time efficient and getting back to what they love to do.

Me included.

peachhead
December 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know the percentage but I'm sure it's too far on the web side.
My only issue is now that it's too darn cold to go outside or to the garage, I don't have a dedicated room and I have to share volume with the tv, etc. plus the rest of the family gets cranky if I drown them out.
So, I wait until they are all in bed and that cuts my time down.
Anyway, I'll just quit whining and go play already....

Robert
December 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I refuse to answer.... :whatever:

Because the answer really sucks.

oldguy
December 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Being bi-polar and suffering w/ OCD, I don't like being challenged and refuse to answer........ and so do I........and so do I.........and so do I. (that's 3 times, I'm done)

Gotta go vote now, but I doubt I'll respect myself in the morning.

marnold
December 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I spend too much time on the web regardless.

Nevertheless, right now I can't play because I managed to hurt my middle finger on my left hand from playing bass through my new amph so much today. The skin is fine--it's the muscle underneath that hurts from bending those big ol' strings. A night's rest should help.

ShortBuSX
December 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I spend most of my online time while at work...but when I get home I find myself tinkering more often lately, and playing when doing set ups or testing out gear.
My thing is I need to spend more time learning...not just playing.

player
December 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Am some net,getting fill at the job.PM = my time aka guitar time do not know the percentage however like now weekend = my time,nuff said gonna go play now