PDA

View Full Version : Marc Ribot -- La Corde Perdue

tot_Ou_tard
December 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
I just watched a documentary about Marc Ribot called La Corde Perdue.

It's French, but all the dialog is in English. The English title is The Lost String.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Marc_Ribot_La_Corde_Perdue/70075281?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1285967014_2_0

It might not be to your taste, depending on how you feel about, say, John Zorn & balloon popping as part of music.

I loved it. It is amazing to watch his hands crawl like multiarticulating spiders.

That's what serious classical guitar chops'll do for you!

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I thought we had a thread about this already but apparently not so I'm glad Tot started one. :)

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I got a copy of this when it first came out. It's a documentary about Ribot, of course it caught my attention. What I like about it is that it shows Marc playing in many different situations. What I admire most about him is his versatility. In many interviews he's said that the most important thing a musician can bring to any performance is knowing their role in the context of the performance. This film illustrates what he means by that.

For those of you who want to check it out but may not want to buy it, it is available from Netflix (Tot even provided the link).

Tot, if you think it's fun to watch his hands on video, go see him play live if you ever get the chance. It's mesmerizing. I have seen a lot of players of a lot of different styles. I have never seen one even half as intense as Marc.

Blaze
December 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
here s an extract , looks like a good dvd ..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6elur_marc-ribot-la-corde-perdue_music

tot_Ou_tard
December 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Tot, if you think it's fun to watch his hands on video, go see him play live if you ever get the chance. It's mesmerizing. I have seen a lot of players of a lot of different styles. I have never seen one even half as intense as Marc.
O, I will, I will.

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
O, I will, I will.

Well here are three prime opportunities all in the next two weeks and all relatively close to where you live...

December 07, 2008
New York, NY
Ceramic Dog at The Stone - 10pm

December 09, 2008
New York, NY
Sitting in w/McCoy Tyner at Blue Note - 8pm and 10pm

December 11, 2008
New York, NY
Ceramic Dog double bill w/Fred Frith's Cosa Brave at the Knitting Factory

The show with McCoy sounds tempting, but I think far and away the best choice is the Knitting Factory show bc not only do you get to see Marc with Ceramic Dog but you get a set from Frith as well (who is another hero of mine). I wish I still lived up north so I could go to NYC shows. I'd be at all three of these.

tot_Ou_tard
December 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
The main issue for me is that my wife hates this kind of music & she also doesn't like it if I leave her at home for the night.

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
That's a shame. My wife loves Ribot. That said, if she didn't and I had the chance to see Ribot and Frith on the same night, she'd be staying home.