PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Vox AC50 CP2?

ZMAN
December 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I had to take the JCM 600 back to the store. I didn't like the volume drop in the clean channel, and the reverb was really weak and had a loud humm when turned on.
So I am still looking for a Marshall, or Marshall like tone.
I was shown a Vox AC50 CP2. It is made in China and can be had for 1099 Can. It is a 2 channel with a really clean channel and the gain channel is supposed to be really nice.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experiience with them. They are a 2/12 combo and are quite heavy at 70 lbs.

hubberjub
December 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
AC30. Has that classic Vox look and sound. Thirty watts is much louder than most people think. Heck, the AC15 is loud enough for most gigs. It's also much easier to haul around than a 30.

markb
December 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
I had a late 60's AC50 for a while. Not what you'd expect from a VOX, more Marshally, rather like a 50w plexi without the gritty top end. Sounded fantastic through a Carlsbro 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks. My "distortion channel" in those days was a Coloursound Tonebender. I don't think the current amp bears any relation to that one though. Oh, and when I bought it, it was just considered old, we didn't do "vintage" in 1978. The total cost of amp and cab was about £150. Doesn't sound like a lot but is was about two weeks wages for me in those days :)

For better cleans and decent reverb with a Marshall-like drive have you considered a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey Classic? It just seems to me that your clean and reverb needs won't be met by any Marshall I've ever encountered. The AC30 suggestion is good too. A good AC30 top boost channel can go from chimey cleans to screaming overdrive with a turn of the guitar volume. Reverb was never really a feature of Voxes until the 70's, classic AC30s don't need no stinking reverb :)

ZMAN
December 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I already own a Blues Deluxe Reissue, a 65 Deluxe and a Blues Junior special edition. So I think I have the clean and reverb covered. I am looking for that Marshall gain, and crunch. These new Vox amps are pretty cool looking and appaprently sound great. They are Made in China, and only have a one year warranty. My tech is using two in his gigging rig. They are in the 1000 dollar to 1100 range here. My tech told me that the gain channel is really in the Marshall range plus. He said I could try it out for a week if I wanted.
I might just take him up on that.
This is the amp.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Classic-Plus-Series-AC50CP2-50w-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481037