PDA

View Full Version : New guy

srv-fan68
June 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Hello.

I just thought I'd do the neighbourly thing and introduce myself. I've been playing for about 3 years now with frequent breaks in between, thanks to my busy job.

As my handle would suggest I'm an SRV fanatic, but I enjoy many other different styles of music. Neil Young is also a major influence on me.

My present gear is a Guitar Port, Fender Frontman 25w amp, MIM burst Stratocaster with pickups by Bill and Becky Lawrence. I also have a Yamaha nylon acoustic and an Art & Lutherie 6 string. My newest guitar is the amazing Takamine 12 string, EG523SC-12. I can't seem to put this guitar down.

Tim
June 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Welcome srv-fan68. There are several SRV fans on this forum. You will meet them soon enough. Enjoy your your new found neighbirhood.

Robert
June 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Welcome SRV-fan! We are many SRV fans here, so you'll fit right in. Say, how do you like those pickups on your strat? Tell us more! I am interested in good, noiseless pickups.

srv-fan68
June 19th, 2006, 05:45 PM
So far I have replaced the neck pickup with an L-280. I have noticed a difference in lower noise from that position but to be much better I am ordering the other 2 pickups from Bill Lawrence to match and a full sheilding package from monteallums.com. Still this one pickup does significantly lower the noise compared to the standard MIM pickup that was in there, and sounds fantastic on top of that.

Spudman
June 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Wecome to the Fret SRV fan. Aren't we all? Oh, please pass the salt.:D

Katastrophe
June 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Welcome to TheFret, SRV fan!

duhvoodooman
June 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Can't have enough SRV fans around here! Welcome srv-fan68!! Speaking of p'ups, I just put a set of Custom Shop Texas Specials in my Strat Plus to get some more of that SRV growl into my own tone! :DR

Guitar-Chris
June 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome srv-fan.

Of course we're all SRV fans :DR

M29
June 20th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Welcome srv-fan68, I am also a SRV fan and thanks for the info on the shielding website, I am always interested in shielding and I try to do any every time I have the strings off.

Take care

M29

blogan
June 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Another Canadian! Welcome!! (Robert, can you give us a geographical breakdown of active members?)

I also have a MIM strat and Fender 25R amp. Stick around--you'll be GAS'ing for more. ;)

Btw, who doesn't like SRV? Is it possible? :D

t_ross33
June 20th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Welcome srv_fan68. Pretty new around here myself and I've already learned lots (sure doesn't help the GAS though :D ).

Love SRV myself from the first bar of Pride and Joy - bought Texas Flood sight unseen (sound unheard) back in '83 or '84 based on an interview in a guitar mag - and it changed my life! Well, maybe not *that* much, but it did open me up to new (old?) musical experiences with blues and straight up guitar based music.

Big Neil Young fan as well (hey, I'm a Canuck). I think he has a new DVD out, "Heart of Gold" (?). Has anyone picked it up yet? Read a cool article in Guitar World - Acoustic re: his latest album, Prairie Wind. Did you know he has an old Martin D-28 that actually belonged to Hank Williams? Mega mojo! I could feel the vibe through the picture in the magazine :cool:

Nice to see so many new members signing up - a testament to a great little group. Glad I found it.

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!

Trev

tremoloman
June 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Any fan of SRV is a friend of mine! :)

srv-fan68
June 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I'm going to pick-up Neil Young's new DVD at lunch today as I've heard rave reviews about it. (the DVD, not lunch) :)

If I get a chance to watch it tonight I'll post a review tomorrow.

Iago
June 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Welcome bro!

Oh, by the way, a friend of mine hates SRV!! Can you guys believe that? That`s not my case though!

Glad to have you here in the Forun SRV Fan!

Justaguyin_nc
June 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Welcome srv... this is the place to be.... friendly... supportive.. and swedish... plus a host of others....:) be carefull.. this place will be having you buy a vox soon... you been warned... :)

SuperSwede
June 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
and swedish...

Ehrmmm.. I wonder if that is a good or a bad thing :p