PDA

View Full Version : Beware! Horrible HENDRIX movie...

Jimi75
December 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
In 2001 a friend of mine recorded a biopic of Jimi Hendrix called....you might have guessed it "HENDRIX". I never really dared to watch it, but yesterday I felt being in the mood for a b-movie. The movie was starring Wood Harris as Jimi Hendrix and Billy Zane as Michael Jeffreys. Zane was the bad guy in Titanic, so he's good enough for the bad manager. Folks, I was shocked by the quality of that movie. The main actor looked like everything but Hendrix, his mimicing of the guitar playing was aweful. They mixed up facts and Jimi was presented as the guy who is always on the hunt for groupies. The production company wasn't allowed to use original songs, so they used Jimi's covers like Hey Joe for e.g. and you might bet how many times during the movie you hear....you might guess it again.....Hey Joe! I mean we are talking about one of the most talented musicians that ever walked this planet, about the most influential musician to me personally and to millions of other musicians and then they take this character and make such a ridiculous movie which is a shame to Jimi and to all of his fans. I don't know if any of you have seen it, so if you haven't please don't do - if this thread made you curious check on your own risk the following link to the only scene I have found on the tube :thwap: :
Hopefully Miramax is going to shoot a real good Hendrix movie, they had plans but never found an appropriate actor.

M0YBNZKJSRM

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty much against all biopics and this one is a major reason why. It was just plain horrible. In the case of an artist like Jimi, I think biopics are just unnecessary when there are several well-made documentaries. Why watch a fictionalized Jimi when you can watch the real deal?

Even when biopics are fairly well done, for example Ray, they often tend to focus on a very small period in the artist's career and neglect everything else. They are also typically very formulaic.

I definitely prefer documentaries when possible.