PDA

View Full Version : Cool Pedal Alert

tunghaichuan
December 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
MXR M86 Classic Distortion Pedal

$29.99 at Guitar Center.

Picked one up this morning at GC.

From what I've read on the 'Net, it is a repackaged MXR Distortion III, or Zakk Wylde pedal.

Sounds pretty good, although a little dark. I would classify it as more of an OD pedal than a distortion, though.

Apparently these sold out on Black Friday in about an hour and a half. My local GC was out of them when I called Sunday, but they must have gotten an new batch today.

Anyone interested in these better hurry, they won't last at $30.

tung

BluesHowler
December 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
How would you compare it to the BD-2 that I see you have. I also have the BD-2 and love it but if the MXR M86 is better I'll try to snag one.

hubberjub
December 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Not to hijack a thread but I also snagged a BBE Green Screamer for $29.99 at GC last week. It's a pretty nice Tube Screamer clone with true bypass.

tunghaichuan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Sweet :AOK:

I scored the last two the GC near me had for $50 each, and I thought I did well :D

Good score. That is an excellent sounding pedal, I like it a lot.

tung

Not to hijack a thread but I also snagged a BBE Green Screamer for $29.99 at GC last week. It's a pretty nice Tube Screamer clone with true bypass.

tunghaichuan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
How would you compare it to the BD-2 that I see you have. I also have the BD-2 and love it but if the MXR M86 is better I'll try to snag one.

They MXR has a bit more gain on tap, but is darker. The BD-2 gets really shrill with the tone control past 12 O'Clock. It has this nasty grating high end. With the gain backed off to about 9 o'clock, the BD-2 sounds much more transparent.

Interestingly enough, I bought a second BD-2 a few weeks ago to mod (haven't had a chance yet) and it sounds different than the other BD-2 I have, which is about 10 years old or so. :confused: Maybe age?

tung

tunghaichuan
December 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Gut shots (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13675) posted over at the BYOC BBS for those interested.

tung