PDA

View Full Version : Picking up new AMPH tonight!

LagrangeCalvert
December 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Im finally getting my Peavey Windsor Studio TONIGHT! I've been holding off on my gas for AGES and tonight I'm picking up a brand new peavey windsor studio for 230 dollars! The owner is very hard up on cash!.....I cannot wait!

sunvalleylaw
December 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Wow that sounds like a good score. Congrats!

LagrangeCalvert
December 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
just got back.....picked it up, just played it a little....getting ready to compare the Celestion greenback im putting in it.....the owner gave me a few - actually a bunch - of tubes....a KT90, an EL34, and a 6V6......and I already have a KT88 waiting to go into it.....not to mention he gave me some tube dampers, and a ton of preamp tubes.....

This is my best score yet, besides the 2 dolla Peavy predator US made.....!

Spudman
December 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Sweet! Sounds like a great score.:AOK: ...and extra tubes. Good deal. I guess you saved enough to buy us all drinks?:poke: :D

I'm anxious to hear your report on how it sounds.

LagrangeCalvert
December 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Ok.....so here's my initial reactions.

The blue marvel that comes stock just doesn't do anything for this amph, even with dialing it up and letting the speaker break up.....its just ehhhhh.....

I put in the Celestion G12M in it and it sounds better.....but the speaker is NIB so it needs some break in. My initial thoughts (it was 10:45 at night when I got it back....so I power sponged the crap out of it) is the amp has serious potential as a good gigging standard. The sponge is nice, for playing around the house, but I really want to let it rip tomorrow so I can see how she sings with the speaker reacting to the tone controls as well. Right now IMHO it really wouldn't have mattered if I took the speaker out of it and played it at bedroom levels....the dynamics and overall sound were better with the greenback, BUT I'd put money on it that the amp will be reviewed tomorrow AFTER I get to crank her and blast it. The Verb isn't so hot on this amp, but as long as you just want a little of it, and yer not surfin' you'll be golden. It has a Blues breaker on steroids kind of sound in the low gain, and the high gain IMO is very JCM 800.....I really want to crank this amp and run it through a bunch of cabs......just to see how awesome it really is..... for now I'm holding my breath cause I get to take it out to a Jam on Saturday!

marnold
December 4th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds awesome and a great deal too!

duhvoodooman
December 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
So have you cranked that puppy yet, LC?? :poke: ;)

LagrangeCalvert
December 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM
So have you cranked that puppy yet, LC?? :poke: ;)

Getting ready to....I'm taking it up my brothers house.....as I live in an apartment, and my Valve JR is waay to much, if I start to RAWK it out....the apartment manager would be on my *** like white on rice.

So I'm taking it up his place tonight......then you will get a full breakdown. I will make sure I do a few screaming solos as well....:thwap: :rotflmao:

Plank_Spanker
December 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
My Richter Scale is standing by.......................:D