PDA

View Full Version : Got a new bass player

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
After dealing with "Mr. I'm Too Lazy To Learn My Parts" bass player, the drummer and I are in Heaven.

Some of you might not remember my other posts about the guy that just couldn't, wouldn't and made excuses to not get it together. It was a seriously stupid deal where the bass player took absolutely no steps toward learning or rehearsing his parts. Almost 6 months later he cannot remember keys, writes nothing down, and cannot remember changes. I gave him every opportunity to get it together. He never did.

Our drummer recently introduced me to the nicest guy who started playing with his church band. Gary had recently come out of retirement after being on the road for years and started getting back in shape by playing at church just 3 weeks ago. We had him over 2 weeks ago to try him out. He was rusty but willing and easy to get along with and eager to play again. I told him he had the job and I would get the material onto a CD and give it to him. Only thing is we needed to find a real place to rehearse.

Over 2 weeks passed and I had no contact with him and we had no place to rehearse either. At the end of that first tryout I gave him my master song list with all the keys. In spite of not getting material from me he downloaded and learned almost everything on the list and made notes and a note guide sheet for comments as we rehearsed the material.

We got together last night and everything flowed very nicely. There were a few minor corrections but it was largely a breeze. We are booked for New Years and the club that hired us has a secured, locked, access limited, heated, soundproofed and well lit rehearsal space in their basement they are letting us use in exchange for a couple of gratuitous gigs. So basically a rent free rock and roll vault.:AOK: We'll be getting together late morning through early afternoon for the next 2 weeks to get the material tight. I'm sure we'll be adding new material as well not only because of the new member addition but the addition of a Digitech Vocalist Live4 has made us sound much fuller than a typical 3 piece. We haven't contacted the keyboard player yet and may just do the New Year gig as a trio.

I already tried the guys on a song from one of my way old sets and they totally copped the groove so I'm very optimistic at this point.

oldguy
December 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
That's welcome news. Now you can enjoy playing music instead of working at it.
Glad you found a good guy......have fun!:AOK:

bigoldron
December 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sounds like your plan is coming together! It's amazing what you can do when everybody's on board. Good luck with your gigs and as Oldguy said, enjoy playing your music instead of working on it. :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Second rehearsal and we're still on track.
It's so much more fun when members do their homework.:beer:

sunvalleylaw
December 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Good news Spud! Great to hear! :D :AOK:

t_ross33
December 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
That's cool Spud! Tell me more about how you are using the Digitech Vocalist. I've been curious about that little contraption and how we might be able to use it in our 3 piece. We are getting pretty tight vocally with decent harmonies, but I am curious to know if or how a processor might enrich our overall sound.

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
t ross

Just watch the demos on You tube.
It's very easy to over use because it sounds so good. Not only is it a great harmony processor but it can be set up to be a nice processor for the lead vocal sound as well (comp, reverb, delay etc).

It is actually making me a better singer. Because the harmonies are often pitch corrected it forces you to move to the proper pitch to avoid chorusing effects from being slightly off.

You'll love it in a trio but it's super for a solo gig.

t_ross33
December 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
thanks Spud. I've trolled the tube looking at these before, but have only seen solo examples so far. Would be cool to see with a full (if only a three piece) band around it.

Do the other members of your band provide vocals as well, or do you rely solely on the Vocalist Live for bg vocals?

Sorry to hijack the thread - we now return to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, sounds like fun- wish I could be there to see y'all play. Glad it's going well!

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Do the other members of your band provide vocals as well, or do you rely solely on the Vocalist Live for bg vocals?

I got it because I wanted to do solo gigs and mainly because I'm the only guy out of 4 that has balls enough to sing and harmonize. Obviously I can't harmonize to myself...but now I can. I got really tired of other supposed musicians never stepping up to the mic or sucking when they did. Problem solved.:) I do all background (harmony) vocals with the VL4.

Spudman
April 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I had been hoping one day to come back to this thread with the news that I found another bassist. I have! :bravo:

I checked my local Craig's list and he had just put up something and sounded pretty much like what I was after. Turns out he lives just around the corner from me across the street and is a great guy and very competent player. He came over this afternoon and we jammed for a half hour on 3 tunes and never lost the groove. I'm excited!

I called the rest of the guys and they are all in as well. So I guess I'll be back in the trenches again but this time hopefully without the frustration of before.

Robert
April 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Sweet! Clips soon please! ;)

Spudman
April 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Sweet! Clips soon please! ;)

Sure.;)

When we get a regular rehearsal going on I might be able to get something.

Jimi75
April 17th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Spud, I remember your posts very well. I am happy to see that you got rid of that lazy bass player and that you have found that new guy who seems to fit in well. Minor corrections are always due of course, but this guy will definitely not be ruining your upcoming gigs.

Good luck!

:rockon:

Jimi

sunvalleylaw
April 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Hey that is great! We were talking only a day or so ago and I was lamenting with you how you did not have anyone and that the craigslist ads you had found so far had not panned out. Most excellent!

Spudman
April 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Mitch, the bass player, is a funk based groove oriented player. Exactly what I was looking for. He says "I just want to play bass." Cool.

I contacted the rest of the guys, drummer and keyboard player, and they are all ready to do it. We've got a possibility of getting a house band gig as well. Mitch is checking on that. Otherwise, there is another option to do this at another club. Things are looking good so far.

Brian Krashpad
April 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Outstanding! Good bassists are hard to find. The Crash Pad bassist is playing for an upcoming charity event but supposedly not any further shows. Our prior bassist is back and available, but I'm hoping on talking the current guy into staying on. He's just a kid but he's gotten really good over the last year.

Spudman
April 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Turns out I found another flake. :thwap:
I took him over to a new but experienced drummers house for a jam and now he won't return my calls. He was more interested in drinking beer than playing that night anyway.
Back to the drawing board.

Brian Krashpad
April 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
D'oh!

Why do people have to make stuff so freakin' difficult?

Spudman
April 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
D'oh!

Why do people have to make stuff so freakin' difficult?

Because they are weak. What ever happened to all the guys that would just kick butt?