PDA

View Full Version : Words you like to say.

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I like saying the word Marinara. ..."please pass the marinara sauce". Marinara.

duhvoodooman
December 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Honest to God, Tone--you start the weirdest threads!

Marinara, huh? O-o-o-o-kay.... ;)

marnold
December 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I like saying words that sound funny but are not inherently funny e.g. pants, slacks, trousers, Wankel rotary engine

Katastrophe
December 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
My favorite word in Spanish is cacahuate. It sounds like yer cussin' but yer only saying, "peanut."

:D

just strum
December 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
free

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack.

It's just a strange word. Do I like saying it? Sure when there are snacks about.:)

sumitomo
December 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Estupido.Sumi:D

R_of_G
December 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I have a favorite word to use but the built in editor on this site won't let me say it here. It starts with an f, ends with uck and it isn't firetruck.

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm laughing so hard, I can't even think of a word. :bravo: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ch0jin
December 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
My favorite word in Spanish is cacahuate. It sounds like yer cussin' but yer only saying, "peanut."

:D

A quick survey of my Spanish speaking friends reveals 2 things.

1. Cacahuate doesn't really sound like a swear word to the Spanish speakers I know.
2. It's not used in Chile.

I guess it's only funny in English :)

I had some strange looks when I said "hey Cacahuarte sounds like a swear word". Mostly as a result of those strange looks though, I'm adopting "Cacahuate" as my new default profanity.

I have lots of words I like to say and most of them are foreign curses I've picked up as a result of working in a company that has a very diverse cultures as part of it's workforce. The guy that swears the most is Greek, so I often find myself swearing at people in Greek. I used to work with guys from Columbia and still work with guys from Chile so my Spanish cursin' is pretty solid too. I'm also adept at making lewd comments about women in Yugoslavian, and I can yell a few phrases in Arabic.

I guess it's a bit like the "whats ur favourite guitar solo" too many to list!!

One of my favourite non-offensive words is "izquierda" which I beleive is Spanish for "left". Spanish is such a cool sounding language.

oldguy
December 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
bob

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM
bob
Bob, bob, bob, bob, bob r an.:D

sunvalleylaw
December 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Moist . . . mostly because it grosses out my sister in law and that is fun.

Spam is another one. I can think of more.

Flatulence is another good one. Hey, I think we need a farty smiley! LOL! I said fart. LOL! :rotflmao:

Can you tell I enjoyed Bevis and Butthead?! :rotflmao:

duhvoodooman
December 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Now I feel bad for taking a poke at Tone. The rest of you are just as weird as he is. Maybe weirder....

oldguy
December 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
If you can muster a look of horror while staring over the shoulder of someone facing you......."LOOK OU....!" is kinda funny, too. 'Specially if you duck or drop to the ground as you scream it........
Only good on construction sites around heavy equipment when there's no zero tolerance policy regarding horseplay, tho................just sayin'.........

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Bob, bob, bob, bob, bob r an.:D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And I almost had a word, it was right on the tip of my tongue....

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Now I feel bad for taking a poke at Tone. The rest of you are just as weird as he is. Maybe weirder....

I resemble that remark.

Ok that was corny. I may be weird but at least I look spiffy in my Santa hat. :tongue:

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Moist . . . mostly because it grosses out my sister in law and that is fun.

Spam is another one. I can think of more.

Flatulence is another good one. Hey, I think we need a farty smiley! LOL! I said fart. LOL! :rotflmao:

Can you tell I enjoyed Bevis and Butthead?! :rotflmao:

Ohhh now this is interesting. My niece also grosses out (yes those are her exact words) on the word moist. What are the odds on that?

Tone2TheBone
December 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM

...and you need to get out of Uppa Noo Yawk once in awhile. :poke: ;) :)

bigoldron
December 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Amph

marnold
December 4th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have a favorite word to use but the built in editor on this site won't let me say it here. It starts with an f, ends with uck and it isn't firetruck.
There's a Hebrew word that's spelled shafuch (emphasis on the second syllable and the "ch" is one of those sounds like you're trying to hock up a loogie). You probably can guess how that word got used.

Another was the German phrase (Jimi, please correct my spelling) "Ich bin fertig damit" which means "I am finished with that." Damit is pronounced "dah MIT" but you can bet that we liked to end sentences that way.

I also agree with SVL that "moist" is a splendid word. If you say it right, it's almost onomatopoeic (another wonderful word).

Ch0jin
December 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
If you can muster a look of horror while staring over the shoulder of someone facing you......."LOOK OU....!" is kinda funny, too. 'Specially if you duck or drop to the ground as you scream it........
Only good on construction sites around heavy equipment when there's no zero tolerance policy regarding horseplay, tho................just sayin'.........

Thats just evil.

I almost got booted out of one of my engineering courses because I decided to use my own methods of stopping the class clown from his favourite trick. Waiting until I (and others) were arms deep in high voltage electronic equipment and standing behind us and clapping loudly making us jump. The third time he did it to me, and the third time I got scrapes on my arms from rapidly ripping them out of the chassis I'm working on I just spun around and punched him in the middle of the face. Strange how he didn't find a busted nose all that funny. The dangerous "jokes" stopped after that. Call me crazy, but working on live equipment carrying lethal voltages is something I took pretty seriously.

OT but another more harmless joke we liked to use before end of term breaks was to "rig" the test benches.

All the work benches at the school were wired to a main emergency power cutoff for safety reasons. The teachers used them for convenience, as they left the room they'd just flick the switch and kill all power, and vice versa when they walked in. We'd pick the locks on the lab doors during the short afternoon coffee break and quickly and quietly insert low voltage electrolytic caps in the power sockets on the benches, 47uf 25V were great for this, and leave, locking the door.

When the switch was flicked on you had smelly little firecrackers exploding all over the lab! Wunderbar!

SuperSwede
December 5th, 2008, 03:53 AM
"Syphilis" is a nice word, very useful too.

Robert
December 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I like to say "wanker". Wanker, wanker, wanker - and that is what I am on my guitar videos.

I also like the Swedish word "huvvaligen" - it's a northern dialect and a word that SS probably doesn't use...?

sunvalleylaw
December 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I like to say when I am all amphed up and ready to ski: Güten Morgen, Wie gehts mit dir? to whomever I meet; Lift attendants, other ski coaches/instructors, kids, parents, just to say good morning and see if people wake up a little if they hear something a bit different.

I also agree with SVL that "moist" is a splendid word.

"Splendid" is also a splendid word. :AOK:

Bloozcat
December 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Prevaricate...

A guy at work once told a story that not even a fool would have believed. After he was through, I said to him, "Wow, that's about the most artful prevarication I think I've ever heard." He just beamed and said, "Thank you".

Glacies
December 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
particularly

Katastrophe
December 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
A quick survey of my Spanish speaking friends reveals 2 things.

1. Cacahuate doesn't really sound like a swear word to the Spanish speakers I know.
2. It's not used in Chile.

I guess it's only funny in English :)

Perhaps. "Cacahuate" won't sound like a curse word to a native speaker, because all they're thing about is "what that crazy dude is talking about peanuts for."

Half of the word is "caca," which is a Spanish description of fecal material, and a word that is bandied about quite a bit here, since we are close to Mexico.

So, saying "cacahuate" to a non - Spanish speaking person here would lead them to think that you've just uttered a curse word (because 'caca' is part of the word), when in fact you've just spoken about a tasty snack.

Use it with pride, mi amigo, and marvel at the sideways looks you will get!

Another word that is funny to use is "masticate," or "mastication."

It is the act of chewing.

Robert
December 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Kat, better watch the form of "chewing", or you'll go blind! :D

Katastrophe
December 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Kat, better watch the form of "chewing", or you'll go blind! :D

Only until I need glasses...:D

Spudman
December 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
When the switch was flicked on you had smelly little firecrackers exploding all over the lab! Wunderbar!

Clever:bravo:

I like saying "bunny." It's the nick name I have for my daughter. She just bounces around with energy and the word is kind of happy sounding.

just strum
December 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Little Drummer Boy - it just rolls off the tongue.

peachhead
December 5th, 2008, 11:38 PM
"Syphilis" is a nice word, very useful too.

Somehow I've never classified that word as useful. I learn something every day on the Fret. :D

Oh, and I like the word discombobulated.

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I like saying "bunny." It's the nick name I have for my daughter. She just bounces around with energy and the word is kind of happy sounding.

I'm the same way with the word "monkey" which is one of my nicknames for Ella.

It's always been an oft-used word among my group of close friends because of our friend Teddy. He is a writer who used to write for the Jon Stewart Show (the original Jon Stewart Show on MTV in the 90's, not The Daily Show). When he first started working there he met Stewart for the first time and asked him if he had any advice for a beginning comedy writer. Stewart told him "remember, monkeys are always funny." It's sage advice.

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
CHOWDER! Especially if I say it: CHOWDUH!

tot_Ou_tard
December 9th, 2008, 07:45 AM
You could just say phoque which sounds similar, but means seal (the animal) in French.

Superfluous is as Mark Twain's Adam would say "Is a large good word & bears repetition."

NMIzhxcXnxA

5Wh-JckS5Rs&feature=related

2RnSoS6NNlM&feature=related

SuperSwede
December 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I also like the Swedish word "huvvaligen" - it's a northern dialect and a word that SS probably doesn't use...?

Nope, but my grandmother was from lapphelvetet so I have heard it.. AND the insanely sick thing to put butter in the coffee.

Ch0jin
December 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Nope, but my grandmother was from lapphelvetet so I have heard it.. AND the insanely sick thing to put butter in the coffee.

OMG...

I almost can't drink the rest of my coffee just thinking about that..

Back OT...

Abbreviated. For the irony of being longer than it's meaning of 'shortened'.

peachhead
December 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
One came up at work today: Dongle.

thearabianmage
December 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Discombobulated and flangepan have to be two of the funniest words I know. . . Your flangepan has been irreparably discombobulated by the incessant actions of your belligerent compadre.

Burrito is another good word. I like that one. . .

Ch0jin
December 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Burrito is another good word. I like that one. . .

Female friend of mine got me started on pronouncing "Fajita" using the English pronunciation rather than Spanish, so it comes out sounding like Fa J(eye) Ta which sounds a a lot like the word for lady parts ;) Coupled with the intentional mispronunciation of "Jalapenos" as Gelapen (like Japan) Nos (like DOS).

Oh and in Turkish/Lebanese style places, pronounce "Pide" not like "Pride", but like "Bidet" for more funny looks.

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Female friend of mine got me started on pronouncing "Fajita" using the English pronunciation rather than Spanish, so it comes out sounding like Fa J(eye) Ta which sounds a a lot like the word for lady parts ;) Coupled with the intentional mispronunciation of "Jalapenos" as Gelapen (like Japan) Nos (like DOS).

Oh and in Turkish/Lebanese style places, pronounce "Pide" not like "Pride", but like "Bidet" for more funny looks.

That's funny because that's what I call Fajitas...Fah-Jai-Tas. I love getting weird looks from people around the table when I say that outloud.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
That's funny because that's what I call Fajitas...Fah-Jai-Tas. I love getting weird looks from people around the table when I say that outloud.

I always though that it should be pronounced "Fah Jee Tas"

Anyone got a good clip where a proper mexican says Fajitas?

Algonquin
December 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I like to say 'Nachos', but i think people like to say 'Salsa'
evYSwr_D8OU

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I always though that it should be pronounced "Fah Jee Tas"

Anyone got a good clip where a proper mexican says Fajitas?

Swedester.....

FAH-HEE-TAHS. The J's are pronouced like H's as in my last name. Heeeerrrrrrrone'.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Swedester.....

FAH-HEE-TAHS. The J's are pronouced like H's as in my last name. Heeeerrrrrrrone'.

Ah... so why dont the mexicans spell it "Fahitas" ???

marnold
December 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Because they don't speak English!

Actually, I take that back. Most Mexicans around here speak English better than the natives. "I'll take 'Damning with Faint Praise' for $500, Alex."

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Because in the spanish language J's and G's are pronouced like the english H's. That's just the way they're pronounced. Different dialects and ways of schpelling.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Because in the spanish language J's and G's are pronouced like the english H's. That's just the way they're pronounced. Different dialects and ways of schpelling.

Interesting... well you should hear people that come here and try to pronounce our letters Å Ä Ö for the first time :D

Ö = oe , kinda like some people say loeve instead of love. I löööve you.. ehrm got it? ;)

R_of_G
December 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The umlauts and other neat little things above scandanavian letters have always confused and intrigued me.

Ch0jin
December 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Haha :)

I'm betting given your location you get proportionally more funny looks than I do. (By the way, what was wrong with the old Mexico? haha)

I was in Subway yesterday and did my usual mispronunciation of Jalapeños only to witness the guy serving me turn to another Subway dude and say "we are low on Gel apee noes"....

Seems my self indulgent jokes about the Spanish language are lost on people from India working in Subway :)

Oh an on umlauts and accents, I learned how to use them in German (no idea about Swedish though), but for me, it's Arabic, Thai, and Khmer script that fascinates me at the moment, I love how it's all swirly and elegant looking. So much more so than the "western" alphabet.