PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Pedal Score

tunghaichuan
December 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I went by a local guitar shop yesterday and found a inexpensive DOD Supra Distortion pedal, made in China. It was $14.66US out the door. It was missing the battery door, one of the back screws holding on the back plate, and a washer and nut from the input jack. Despite the missing hardware the pedal works fine.

As luck would have it, I have a DOD Grunge pedal from that series that I bought for parts, so I scavenged the needed parts to make a whole pedal out of the Supra:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_98049384c337f2de.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=839)

I love it when a plan comes together. :AOK:

The pedal doesn't sound that bad. Thick and crunchy with lots of gain. On the down side, the gain knob doesn't subtract gain when turned down until almost turned fully counter-clockwise. Very odd. :confused:

Still, not a bad deal for < $15.

tung

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Bargains are always good. :AOK:

Once again, makes me wish I lived closer to a GC, but it's probably good I don't.

Tibernius
December 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
On the down side, the gain knob doesn't subtract gain when turned down until almost turned fully counter-clockwise. Very odd. :confused:

Could it be it's a linear rather than log pot? Or possibly that the pot's wired incorrectly? At least that's my guess from what little I know about electronics.

Not bad for $15 though. :AOK:

Spudman
December 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Gain and more gain = serious rock and roll.:D

That is a nice affordable score. :AOK:

bigoldron
December 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, Tung! Congrats!

Bloozcat
December 5th, 2008, 01:59 PM
So tung, did you do a little dance after you put the pedal back together and it actually worked? You know, one of those dances where you stomp around the room chanting, "I got a deeal, I got a deeal..." or something like that?
:D

tunghaichuan
December 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
So tung, did you do a little dance after you put the pedal back together and it actually worked? You know, one of those dances where you stomp around the room chanting, "I got a deeal, I got a deeal..." or something like that?
:D

Not really, I'm way to conservative to do something like that. Maybe in my imagination :D I was just thrilled that I had a donor pedal to make the Supra complete. I bought the Grunge to donate parts for another Grunge pedal that I got that was missing parts. So the donor has more than paid for itself.

BTW, what's up with DOD pedals? About half of them seem to be missing the battery covers, some others are missing screws, washers, nuts, etc.

Anybody know where I can get some replacement knobs?

tung

Andy
December 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
BTW, what's up with DOD pedals? About half of them seem to be missing the battery covers, some others are missing screws, washers, nuts, etc

looks like you answered the question right there,sounds like quality issues

Bloozcat
December 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Not really, I'm way to conservative to do something like that. Maybe in my imagination :D I was just thrilled that I had a donor pedal to make the Supra complete.

Well, I didn't mean when someone was around to see you doing it. I meant a "when no one's looking", silly kind of dance..:D

M29
December 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hey I know that dance:dude:

Cool deal tung

M