PDA

View Full Version : peavey's and cables

The_Shredinator21
December 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Im want to get a decent peavey amp for christmas and im trying to decide whether to get a 50 watt model amp or a 75 watt tube hybrid amp. I would also like to know where a good online shop s for quality but cheap cables.
any suggestions:poke:

Katastrophe
December 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I really couldn't tell ya what sounds good for playing Jonas Brothers music. :poke:

Since you're a younger guy, I would recommend the Peavey Vypyr line, if you're going to stay with that brand. Why, you ask? Well, it's lower maintenance than a tube amph, they cost less, are very flexible, and sound great to my ears with a little tweaking.

If you're gonna buy cables online, use zzounds.com. You're purchase goes to supporting TheFret.

peachhead
December 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I really couldn't tell ya what sounds good for playing Jonas Brothers music. :poke:

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

If you're gonna buy cables online, use zzounds.com. You're purchase goes to supporting TheFret.

Don't you have to go through the link on the bottom of the page for that? (I just wanted to make sure...)

Katastrophe
December 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yep, and thanks for posting that.

Tibernius
December 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Since you're a younger guy, I would recommend the Peavey Vypyr line, if you're going to stay with that brand. Why, you ask? Well, it's lower maintenance than a tube amph, they cost less, are very flexible, and sound great to my ears with a little tweaking.

I heard one of the Vyper amps a while ago, good range of tones and the effects seemed pretty good. You're going to need at least the 30 watt one to be able to get any decent volume out of it though.

Why Peavey rather than Vox though?

Ch0jin
December 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
FWIW I have an old Peavey Ultra112 combo. 60W tube amp, three channels and reverb. Highly recommended if you can find a cheapy 2nd hand.

Definitely loud enough for band practice, even with the 12", much more so though with a cab.

Peavey amps are built like tanks. I have two and they are both very solid bits of gear.

Anyway, just thought I'd post that in case you came across one in your search.

Whilst I was very happy playing through a Marshall JMP1 preamp a couple of weeks ago, I'm still very much a "friends don't let friends by solid state guitar amps" kinda guy. Especially as you'll be using it in a band environment.

sunvalleylaw
December 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I heard one of the Vyper amps a while ago, good range of tones and the effects seemed pretty good. You're going to need at least the 30 watt one to be able to get any decent volume out of it though.

Why Peavey rather than Vox though?

Having messed around with both, and having purchased a Vypyr 30 for my son, I think it comes down to which sounds you like best, and which one is easier for you to use. I like how the Peavey Vypyr controls work and are set up logically. Also, they have a really good distortion system built in. Price is better on the Peavey too. But I think it is a situation where you try them out and decide which one you like.

Andy
December 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I have a peavey 60 watt I'm selling (1st issue 5150 combo-mint condition)
unfortunately shipping would be probably $100 for the 84 lb beast.

The_Shredinator21
December 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I have a peavey 60 watt I'm selling (1st issue 5150 combo-mint condition)
unfortunately shipping would be probably $100 for the 84 lb beast.

wow andy lol, how much do you think this would cost?