PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Hendrix album?

Robert
December 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Which one?

For me, it's simple - Band of Gypsies.

marnold
December 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
The funny thing is that I usually listen to compilations of Jimi's stuff more than the actual albums (most notably "Smash Hits" and "Radio One"). As far as actual albums go for listening from beginning to end, it would probably be "Are You Experienced?"

bigoldron
December 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
All of 'em!

just strum
December 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Blues

R_of_G
December 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Same. As much as I love the Experience stuff, which is a lot, it's nowhere near as much as I love B of G. Hendrix and Cox could lock onto a groove like nobody else and Buddy was the quintessential funk drummer. It was a much more organic feel for Hendrix.

Truth be told, I don't listen to the actual album all that much anymore as I have all four sets of Fillmore shows from which the album was culled and I like listening to it in context.

Blaze
December 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Studio: Are You Experienced ... Live: In the west

OqQOaA2LPRo&feature=

stingx
December 6th, 2008, 09:48 AM
http://991.com/newGallery/Jimi-Hendrix-Are-You-Experienc-412096.jpg

sumitomo
December 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I like 'em all too,but Band of Gypsies stands out most it was that groove thing going.When I hear Power to Love,man the hair on the back of my neck stands up.I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that song.Sumi:D

ShortBuSX
December 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
My fav is "Blues"...but he does a horrible version of "Im a Man" and an even worse version of "Born Under a Bad Sign"...just terrible.

Andy
December 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
'cry of love' and 'first rays of the new rising sun'(his finals works over the last year).He was advancing so much during and after after the construction of electric ladyland.

First rays is an absolute must have- it's all his final works untouched, no shamefull dubbing in stuff like crash landing. you will also find all the studio band of gypsies tracks on it., power of soul , message to love, freedom, dolly dagger , ezy rider ect..

I love them all- I have quite the Hendrix collection.

cherokee747
December 7th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Eletric Ladyland for me. He took this one way outside the box. His tones cover the entire spectrum. I was lucky enough to see him twice in 1970 about 4 months before he died.We had tickets for two consecutive shows. Tulsa and Oklahoma City. He absolutely smoked both nights.:AOK: Mike

KrisH
December 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Axis -- Bold as Love. For the music, sure (especially the title song), but the cover art is interesting too. For my birthday a few months ago I got a 4-disc compilation of previously unreleased and live material that is very enlightening.

Jimi75
December 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Which one?

Why?

Jimi75
December 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Although not being my favourite Jimi album this year is Electric Ladyland's 40th anniversary and this album marked Jimi's independance from his producer Chas Chandler. Picking a favourite Jimi album is difficult, because all of his studio work was great. My favourtie studio album is Axis, because the songwriting is breathtaking. Jimi's thirst for experiments was kind of controlled through Chandler, but Chandler left him enough space to throughlive his ideas on Axis. Songs like Little Wing, If 6 was 9, Castles made of sand, Axis:Bold as Love are great compositions. From the live stuff I really love the BBC Sessions and Jimi live at Berkeley. Jimi plays faultless and has a giantic sound on these live recordings. The rhythms just pump and rock! If we can count First Rays Of The New Rising Sun this would be one of my faves, too. You can here the improve in songwriting. Anyways, the last gigs Jimi played left him unsatisfied with the NEW songs, because he knew it was time for a second guitarplayer to be able to reproduce the NEW studio productions that he recorded, flipping out at his own Electric Ladyland studios in NY. The Band Of Gypsys phase beared great stuff, too - my favourite is Message To Love - I didn't mention the album though as my favourite, because I do not like Buddy Miles drumming, nor his singing (R.I.P. Buddy).

Great thread Robert. Thank you for that.

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Band of Gypsies is my favourite because I prefer live playing for one thing (don't care that much for the studio experiments at the time), but also Jimi's tone and playing is God-like on that recording. The band is grooving so good and there's so much improvisation happening. It's almost like they turned into a jazz band and I am a jazz lover, so this type of playing appeals to me greatly. This trio had so much soul and I think they were really on that night..

Jimi75
December 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Band of Gypsies is my favourite because I prefer live playing for one thing (don't care that much for the studio experiments at the time), but also Jimi's tone and playing is God-like on that recording. The band is grooving so good and there's so much improvisation happening. It's almost like they turned into a jazz band and I am a jazz lover, so this type of playing appeals to me greatly. This trio had so much soul and I think they were really on that night..

Many players say Jimi had his best tone ever that night - I think so, too.
Thanks for explaining Robert. They really broke some boundaries with their music and explored new ground.

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have the first 3 studio albums and Band of Gypsies. Monterey is also a good live album, but it was released later I think? I also have Cry of Love - a mix of tunes assembled together by Kramer and Mitchell from what I understand.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix_posthumous_discography

First Rays Of The New Rising Sun - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Rays_of_the_New_Rising_Sun

duhvoodooman
December 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Electric Ladyland. I'll listen to Voodoo Chile anytime, anywhere--all 15 minutes of it.

Blaze
December 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Is this Jimmy playin a Gibson SG

VFZorStky7U&feature

Blazes:whatever:

Jimi75
December 8th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Is this Jimmy playin a Gibson SG

Blazes:whatever:

Man this is the SG for which I get kicked out of London's Hard Rock Cafe. They got a white Sg hangin over the bar and I didn't see any signs of a lefty who played this guitar. The discussion was so intense that they kicked me out. Yeah, I did a lot of crazy stuff in the name of Jimi Hendrix *lol*

I have the entire show on DVD where Jimi plays two tunes with the SG. I love the warm tone he get out of the SG.

Duff
December 10th, 2008, 09:36 PM
ShortBuSX,

Noel Redding was an awesome bass player, as you can see.

I prefer the trio, Experienced. I believe Hendrix personally felt that his best playing was done with the Experience because it could produce the sound he had in his head; and that Band of Gypsies couldn't reproduce that sound he was trying to get. But B of G sure played some nice songs.

I like Electric Ladyland and think it was really well recorded.

Plus, to really appreciate Hendrix you have to have experienced the vibe of the times, or, as with younger fans, have some kind of understanding of where the music is at.

I always reflect on how when Jimi was rockin' the house in NYC back in '68, playing songs like Foxy Lady and Purple Haze; black people were still drinking out of different water fountains down South and things like that.

Hendrix was really ahead of his time in so many ways and he really blew a lot of minds with his incredible playing. It is something you had to "experience" to appreciate I guess, you know what I mean? That guy was "out a sight".

Believe the Experience are all passed on now, but their legacy will probably have an influence on people for a long time yet. Obviously there is a power there that endures the erosion of space and time. Same with B of G.

Many people, way back then, didn't recognize the influence that Jimi would have on music, nor did they anticipate the incredible legacy he would leave behind.

When I watch my DVD's I am amazed at the charisma that Hendrix has. It's incredible to see that charisma and ability to connect with people that he had, that individual likeability. Elvis had that too. A very special thing. Seeing him live had to have been awesome.

Duffy

ZMAN
December 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM
August of 1967, I will never forget the day my good friend and audiophile called me and told me to get over to his place quick. I knew he must have some new great album for me to hear. He always seemed to be able to get all the new stuff before anyone. He had the first Beatle album I ever saw as well.
He showed me the cover and the hair on the guy blew me away. When he played the first song it changed my whole point of view of music.
It was truly a life changing experience. This album made me want to play the guitar and I own a White Strat, maple neck that I will never sell.
So for me Are you Experienced is the one, and one of my most memorable achievements on the guitar was when I learned to play Red House.
Any of the albums with Mitchel and Redding were amazing. I don't really like any of the later albums, you could hear the decline in his playing as the drugs took over.
A true Hendrix story. Before he went to England he had a stint as the Isley brother guitarist. When he first auditioned for the band, they were totally blown away by his playing. At the end of the audition they hired him on the spot. He then asked for a loan of 10 dollars so he could get some guitar strings. Then they noticed he had played with only 3 strings on his guitar.

Duff
December 11th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I only own Electric Ladyland and like it since it was released.

After reading these favorites, I'm going to get Are You Experienced.

Great thread. Great post Zman. If you lived it when it went down and you were stunned by it, or you came up later and were equally stunned by his musical talent, we understand what you are saying.

Duffy

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Late to the party but mine is Axis: Bold As Love.

Andy
December 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
here's an interesting tidbit,

Hendrix was a huge fan of Cream, Clapton and Cream were huge fans of hendrix.
Cream wrote 'sunshine of your love' in an attempt to emulate a Hendrix compostion,Hendrix once said that sunshine of your love was his favorite Cream song, not knowing that they wrote the song as an ode to Jimi.
I always found it interesting that there was alot of borrowing and competition going on in those days.

for example the beatles/beach boys.

brian wilson did pet sounds being inspired by with Rubber soul,
beatles did sgt pepper heavily inspired by Pet sounds, that further inspired Brian Wilson to do Smile

lots of mutual respect going on in those days.
now people just sue eachother..lol

Duff
December 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
"Star Spangled Banner", off of the Woodstock album has to stimulate some thought. Even on the movie I can feel the emotion and seriousness in the rendition of the song, probably never before played on guitar, or anything, with such a modern and "on time" feel. People were crashing, planes were crashing, Hendrix was deep in the groove.

It's not a Hendrix album, but his performance on it is spectacular, taken in context. So being more of a performance than an album I guess it doesn't qualify for favorite album status, but it sure is a nice recording and great performance.

Duffy

Peace

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 11:34 PM
"Star Spangled Banner", off of the Woodstock album has to stimulate some thought. Even on the movie I can feel the emotion and seriousness in the rendition of the song, probably never before played on guitar, or anything, with such a modern and "on time" feel. People were crashing, planes were crashing, Hendrix was deep in the groove.

It's not a Hendrix album, but his performance on it is spectacular, taken in context. So being more of a performance than an album I guess it doesn't qualify for favorite album status, but it sure is a nice recording and great performance.

Duffy

Peace

I agree wholeheartedly. Excellent material from Gypsy Sun and Rainbows that morning.

oldguy
December 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
That was the defining moment where I was hooked.
I had never heard anything like it played on guitar.

Jimi75
December 12th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I have watched the Woodstock gig some days ago on DVD again and Jimi had a really serious attitude playing the national anthem that way. I think his Woodstock version is the first and most controverse version of the anthem and it touches me listening to it although I can not judge/feel it from a patriotic/ or being American point of view.

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I just love the swirl of that vibe on Jimi's SSB. It was perfect. It HAD to be that speed that mesmerizes us to this day. That depth. Just a huge huge sound coming from the stacks.

Duff
December 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Tonight I picked up a CD of "Are You Experinced" and forgot how great it sounds. Also loaded my "Electric Ladyland" CD into my windows media library collection. I'm groovin'.

Thanks for the great input guys. Maybe I'll get a B of G one, one of these days.

Duffy

Squireman131
December 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
i always feel ashamed for my lack of knowledge of jimi hendrix. ive never listened to his music own no albums. What are some must have hendrix albums?

Blaze
December 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Are You Experienced , Electric Ladyland,Band of Gypsys ,Jimi Plays at Monterey,Live at the Fillmore East ยท Live at Woodstock

LagrangeCalvert
December 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Late to the party but mine is Axis: Bold As Love.

+1 to this..... J H EXP and Cream are my fav. bands. and I as I was driving home with my father in law and my woman from the grand folks house we listened to Electric Ladyland..... I love all of Their work as a band but Axis followed by ELL then South Saturn Delta are my favs. in that order. I love his live performances as well. I could honestly throw away all my music (I wouldn't want to) and have Axis and Creams Desrali Gears (hope I spelled that right) as my desert island music if you had to pick two cd. I guess I'm stuck in the past and I'm only 27........:thwap:

Andy
December 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
i always feel ashamed for my lack of knowledge of jimi hendrix. ive never listened to his music own no albums. What are some must have hendrix albums?

All his albums are essential
Don't forget- first rays of the new rising sun.
His final year was highly prolific in the studio and turning in a new direction.
It's 100% hendrix and sorely disregarded on this forum.

It chronicles his recording output following woodstock untill his untimely passing.I easily consider it some of his best work.

originally this material was spread out between 4 postumous albums and was stuffed with terrable filler in order to milk the legacy.
'first rays...' gathers it into one package as it should have been to begin with.
the only thing added after his death was the vibraphone on 'Drifting' because he had intentions to add them also Mitchell finished cleaning up some of his drum tracks.

Squireman131
December 27th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the info. If i get any $ i'll have to get at least one album.

msteeln
January 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Just go to youtube to get your fill of the 'regular' stuff, and a host of rare footage. Not all in the best A/V quality, but a fun way to spend a few hours and get a Jimi-sized edumacation.

There's no way I could pick just one album or tune, as they all have much to offer, but Machine Gun usually is the one # that runs thru my head while boppin' down the road. He always got into this song and it's pure Jimi, pure music. Even at the terrible Isle of Wight gig, he pulled it together for this and very a few other tunes. Give the 5.1 remaster of this show a listen (w/headphones) to hear what it was like being inside Jimi's guitars.
The Monterey gig was his Strat straight into his Marshall, providing some of the best guitar tone known to man.
Long said to have been his first show in America, I tend to think he did a very few small appearences just prior. Anybody got the full skinny on this?
I was half way to Monterey that Friday afternoon, but got ditched in Bakersfield (at 12 years old...), and blew all my other shots at seeing him play. Those were THE hot ticket shows of the time. There simply was nobody like Jimi before or since.

Robert
January 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
There simply was nobody like Jimi before or since.

+1000 on that. :AOK: :master:

Andy
January 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Just go to youtube to get your fill of the 'regular' stuff, and a host of rare footage. Not all in the best A/V quality, but a fun way to spend a few hours and get a Jimi-sized edumacation.

There's no way I could pick just one album or tune, as they all have much to offer, but Machine Gun usually is the one # that runs thru my head while boppin' down the road. He always got into this song and it's pure Jimi, pure music. Even at the terrible Isle of Wight gig, he pulled it together for this and very a few other tunes. Give the 5.1 remaster of this show a listen (w/headphones) to hear what it was like being inside Jimi's guitars.
The Monterey gig was his Strat straight into his Marshall, providing some of the best guitar tone known to man.
Long said to have been his first show in America, I tend to think he did a very few small appearences just prior. Anybody got the full skinny on this?
I was half way to Monterey that Friday afternoon, but got ditched in Bakersfield (at 12 years old...), and blew all my other shots at seeing him play. Those were THE hot ticket shows of the time. There simply was nobody like Jimi before or since.

Jimi's return to the states was Monterey,, No doubt whatsoever, Brian Jones insisted on showing him off and did Jimi a big favor in the process ...as it turned out

Hardass blues
January 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
bought it at a record store when I was around 12 years old on 150 grain vinyl. The last Hendrix "album" I ever bought. Great music as is all of his. I just liked that the best. went home and copied it to tape for my older brother.