PDA

View Full Version : Marshall DSL401 in the house!

ZMAN
December 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I have been on an amp quest for quite some time. I had a try at a JCM600 and found it lacking in the clean channel. I went on the local Kijiji and saw a JCM 2000 DSL 401. 40 watt combo. It was listed as being in a town close to me Hamilton, Ontario, and he wanted 1000. As it turned out it was actually in Brantford about 60 miles away. I got in touch with him and I got the price down to 800 plus he would throw in a Strat copy. I had no idea what the Strat was. The amp is a 2004 and sounds wonderful. It has a clean channel and OD1 and OD2, reverb and all of them footswitchable with a two button switch. I might need a tube on the od2 side but that is nothing. It is a little harmonic at higher volumes. The OD2 has a 20db boost. But the amp just sings. I can't wait to get a 2/12 cab for it.
The guitar turned out to be an Abilene AS10 Strat copy. I did some research and they were made by Sammick in Korea. When I got it it had no strings and I thought what the hell. I took a look and it is my first official "Plywood caster" . Actually it doesn't sound too bad. I need a switch tip but that is all.
Here is a picture. So it does exist! lol.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/PC060098.jpg[/URL]

This is the description of the amp.
[URL]http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401&pageNumber=1 (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/PC060098.jpg)

Robert
December 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sweet amph! Congratulations! I played one of those not that long ago, and I was very impressed with the tones. The gain channel is just aaaahhh... but the clean channel is no slouch either. If I were to buy a combo, I think I would get that one as my first choice. Very good value for the money.

ZMAN
December 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Yes Robert I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a brand new one. 1299, plus tax. That puts it in the 1470 range. I was lucky I guess but I made the 60 miles in less than 1.5 hours from the time I found the ad. I have already lost out on 2 locally. I really like the full tone from the 2/12 JCM 600 I had on loan, but that specific amp had too many issues. The DSL 401 has the 8 and 16 ohm outs as well. Oh and on the heat issue. This one is as cool as a cucumber. Apparently the ealier ones ran hot enough to melt solder connections.
I will give her a good ride tonight and see how she performs. But for a small amp it sure packs a punch.
I am sure I can give the strat to one of my nephews.

Blaze
December 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Glad for you Zman, enjoy it ,careful with your ears!!

Blazes:AOK:

ZMAN
December 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I have a quick question for all you Marshall combo amp guys. On DSL401 thers is a switch on the back of the amp for speakers. I have and internal jack at 16 ohm and an external jack. There is a switch that says 8 or16. When I go the amp it was set on 8 ohms. What I was wondering is, should the setting be on 16 since the internal is a 16 ohm speaker, or is that switch only to balance the output on an external cab. The manual is fairly general and doesn't go into detail.
I though some of you guys might have run into this before on a Marshall combo.