PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing moment

KrisH
December 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Okay, I have to share this in order to get closure on the incident. And maybe get feedback on similar experience from others here.

One of my projects is a trio that usually plays one-set performances of original tunes as a warmup for other bands. I play bass. We've done a handful of gigs and it's been well received, and we've had fun.

Last night we did something out of the ordinary -- a totally acoustic show at a bookstore/coffee shop. Drummer used a small portable trap kit, guitarist brought his Gibson jumbo and 12 string, and I brought my upright bass. Problem was, we didn't have quite enough material to do two sets. We all play guitar, so we decided we'd fill out the show with a couple solo pieces from each of us. Great idea.

Have you ever experienced sheer terror? I've played bass for 35+ years, occasionally in front of crowds exceeding 1,000 people, and never felt as nervous as I did playing two Beatles covers last night in front of a dozen or so folks. I felt like a 14 year old again (and not in a good way). I've only been playing acoustic guitar seriously for a couple years, but I've learned some good technique, and can play some moderately difficult tunes with few errors. At home. But I've never played acoustic guitar in front of an open audience before. And all my fingers turn into thumbs when I began playing.

It wasn't pretty. The notes didn't flow freely, and my fingerings were off. At one point I noticed my hand gripping the neck so tightly, I had to stop and shake it out, and I noticed it was vibrating, it was shaking so badly! I took a deep breath and restarted where I left off, and managed to make it through to the end adequately (maybe) and exited. Polite applause. A flub.

The rest of the gig went great and was well received, as usual.

It wasn't the occasional mistakes that bothered me. Each of us missed chords, licks, etc. in our pieces. But it was the overwhelming nervousness I felt that compromised the performance. My partner suggested it was a lack of confidence in a new endeavor, which makes sense, because I've always been in the "back line" until recently. But jeez-oh-man!

On the bright side, I came home afterwards and watched a show about daredevil stunts that went wrong. At least I didn't break a leg.

just strum
December 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
At least I didn't break a leg.

see, it could have been worse.

And Congrats. Admittedly I couldn't do it. Hell, I even ask the dog to look the other way, although it takes little convincing on my part.

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
That's an experience for sure. Kinda ages as person a few years in one night?

peachhead
December 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
see, it could have been worse.

And Congrats. Admittedly I couldn't do it. Hell, I even ask the dog to look the other way, although it takes little convincing on my part.

You and me both. When I was taking lessons, it took me 15 minutes to get over the shaking, and by the time I got good and warmed up, the lesson was over.

Just keep plugging, next time it'll be better!

jasongins
December 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The guitar is a tremendously challenging instrument. The problem is, many people don't know this because they've never picked one up and tried to learn how to play it. I feel for you - I 've only been playing for two years and it took me months just to get over the basic mechanics of the instrument. And now, my most embarassing moment is set to occur this coming Saturday night. I've agreed to play guitar at a holiday party while my wife's friend's husband sings (probably some Springsteen songs I am scrambling to learn and who knows what else). We don't know these people very well, and we don't know any of their friends. Most of my playing has been done along with backing tracks, or at at least drums, but we're going to do this "unplugged," just the two of us, under the microscope of a holiday party at someone's house. So I am sure all of my fingers are going to turn to thumbs as well, and that I will be gripping the neck so hard I could tear it off the body.

Jimi75
December 8th, 2008, 05:48 AM
What you describe is very typical and I think it happens to each and everyone once in a while (and this while could be 35+ years :) ) if you play live regularly. I had a similar situation, I play regular gigs with my band and then a friend of mine asked me to perform a solo song at his wedding. I knew that no one would care about technique and stuff, but I couldn't relax and went through some tough 5 minutes. :whatever:

tot_Ou_tard
December 8th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Once the sweaty flubups start they take on a life of their own. Oh, no! I'm f@cking up....

I'll do that if my family members might be listening, I can only imagine the terror of an audience.

Keep on keepin on!

On the bright side, I came home afterwards and watched a show about daredevil stunts that went wrong. At least I didn't break a leg.
My college-aged son broke his wrist snowboarding yesterday. Luckily it was a minor fracture.

evenkeel
December 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
KrishH, First Good on Yah for soldiering on. :bravo: :bravo:

I Know exactly how you feel. I've had pretty much the same experience. For example, last week I did a open mic, typical three song set. The performers before me were really good. So by the time I got up I was pretty much convinced I was in WAY over my head. Took a deep breath, tried to remember to smile and have fun, but I was very nervous. In these situations I like to start with a tune I know well, something the crowd will know and is relatively easy. In this case, Tupelo Honey which I do with a harmonica. Next I played a Dan Hicks tune, How can I Miss You , if you won't go away. Silly tune, but I always get a chuckle out of it and usually the audience does also.

No that you've done the solo thing, I'll bet the next time it will be a lot easier. I really think the whole "smile and have fun" thing is key!!

marnold
December 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
The first time I played in front of a group of people was at our Junior-Senior banquet (read: prom) in high school. It was a ridiculously easy bass part, but my fingers got a mind of their own. Plus I hadn't thought to practice with a suit coat on (it was a formal). The right sleeve on my coat jacket kept muting strings on me.

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
We just did some Christmas tunes yesterday at a craft fair. I, my former instructor, a guy from a jazz trio with a big stand up bass, and a ringer acoustic guitarist were going to do jazz chord and improv versions of some Christmas tunes. I was simply playing rhythm using jazzy barre and diminished chords.

Well, the bass player was apparently hung over and not on his game, the ringer guitarist who was going to provide the fancy improv showed up late and his pickup on his guitar would not work, my former instructor who put it together started rushing everything, and I go lost occasionally and dropped out, and gave up attempting the harder transitional diminished chords and just tried to keep up with the main changes. So not our best outing, but we are going to try a re-do at a coffee shop at open mic to redeem. So I hear you on seizing up a little. I started doing better when I smiled at my kids who were watching and just had fun with it. Jingle bell rock came off well then, and my kids said they liked our Christmas tunes so what the hey.