PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Heavy Metal Documentary

tunghaichuan
December 7th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Got this documentary (http://www.metalhistory.com/metal01.html) via interlibrary loan:

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey :dude:

Available for purchase on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Headbangers-Journey-Chris-Adler/dp/B000EGEJIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1228667786&sr=1-1).

An excellent, well-done look at heavy metal culture. The film maker, Sam Dunn is not only an anthropologist, he is also a life long metal fan. He's also a Canadian. :AOK: :canada:

Worth checking out.

tung

Suhnton
December 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I recall seeing something about it on TV a couple of years ago. Looks well made, I'd like to check it out.

marnold
December 8th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I've seen it several times on VH1 Classic. There's some good stuff in there. The bits on Scandinavian death metal are downright freaky though. Most American bands use that imagery more for effect than anything else. Those guys are legitimate sociopaths.

Katastrophe
December 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Seen it a bunch of times myself. Very good documentary. I agree with Marnold. The Norwegian death metal guys are downright scary.

tunghaichuan
December 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Seen it a bunch of times myself. Very good documentary. I agree with Marnold. The Norwegian death metal guys are downright scary.

No doubt, those guys scare the crap out of me. Definitely sociopaths.

I remember reading somewhere that Norway is comprised of mostly well-off people as it is very expensive to live there. So it seems to me like the death metal guys there are generating artificial drama. I mean, what do they have to complain about really?:confused:

tung

tunghaichuan
December 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I've seen it several times on VH1 Classic. There's some good stuff in there. The bits on Scandinavian death metal are downright freaky though. Most American bands use that imagery more for effect than anything else. Those guys are legitimate sociopaths.

Point taken, but I'm undecided about Slayer. I think they may be legitimate sociopaths, but I could see how they could be just using the imagery to sell their music. The singer/bass player claims to be a Christian. :confused:

tung

marnold
December 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Point taken, but I'm undecided about Slayer. I think they may be legitimate sociopaths, but I could see how they could be just using the imagery to sell their music. The singer/bass player claims to be a Christian. :confused:
Yeah, I heard he's a practicing Catholic. Kerry King I wouldn't necessarily call a sociopath, but he most certainly has no love for religion. I don't think he'd have complimentary things to say about my profession, but I also don't think he'd eat my children.