PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge for a New Year's Eve gig?

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
We got offered $700 (CDN) bucks for a New Year's gig. Would you take it?

We'd likely use a 4 person band.

I am personally thinking they are nuts. That's like the best night of the year?!

hubberjub
December 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
It depends. Is it a bar? A company party? What do you usually get for gigs? How many people are expected?

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
A bar. I don't know what we get any more. Used to be we got $150-$200 a piece, but lately that's not been the case. Gigs don't pay like they used to. I don't know how many people are expected. Depends on how the advertise and market the event.

Spudman
December 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
New Years should be better than $700 divided by 4.
Do you have any other options? Maybe you can get them to throw in food and a bottle or two of Champagne if you have to take the gig. Otherwise, look for another gig. Maybe tell them you'll do it and then keep looking for something that pays better.

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well they said they'll give us a 200 dollar bar tab. I don't need that - I'd rather get some more money so I can get that Marshall!

Blaze
December 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Ive made several new years eve gigs ,for exemple let s say normaly you charge $700.00 or $800.00 for a bar gig, add $250.00 for that night and double your standard pay for bigger places..

They make big money on new years eve , so ..

Blazes:AOK:

Andy
December 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
make sure you learn that Fogelberg song (forgot the name). thats always a hit

markb
December 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Double fee, add 10%, add bar tab. New Year's Eve sorted :AOK:

t_ross33
December 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Double fee, add 10%, add bar tab. New Year's Eve sorted :AOK:

And by double, I'm sure Mark means double your usual rate. I like the additional 10% and bar tab :beer: :AOK:

$700 for a 4 piece is chicken feed any night of the year. It' s almost disrespectful for New Years Eve, so unless you want to do it just for the fun of it, I'm sure you can negotiate a better deal.

F_BSurfer
December 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Here where I live that would be right around the going price for one of our regular bars and they all seem to have bands on New Years Eve If it were one of the four larger bars it would be around 1200 - 1500
New Years Eve here is not really one of the best times to gig ... being a college town ( 3 colleges ) most of the students are gone then

Plank_Spanker
December 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Used to be we got $150-$200 a piece, but lately that's not been the case. Gigs don't pay like they used to.

That's excellent coin for my area. We normally pull $500 for a gig, and we're five piece.

I'm sure not in this for the money..........................:D

Ro3b
December 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Assuming no travel is involved, I normally ask $100 per person per hour for parties, weddings, funerals, balloon launches, and suchlike, with a two-hour minimum. For holidays or other occasions where there are likely to be a lot of annoying drunks, I try to get at least $150 per person/hour. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble.

M29
December 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Shoot my only reference is back in the 70's. We thought 100 dollas was good for New Years:thwap:

Hey you do know Proud Mary right? And Jeramia Was A Bullfrog? And.........You better get some good money if you have to play that stuff:D

abraxas
December 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Holiday occasions are usually "double dot" (for EVERYONE, including the customers!).

But what you describe Robert (gigs not paying well any more) is a worldwide phenomenon, I can assure you...

t_ross33
December 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Our gigs have been paying pretty good - in fact our first gig 3 yrs ago as a 4 pc was for $450 total. We're now a 3 pc and our base price (i.e. standard gig, little travel, our PA, 9PM-2AM) is $900. It goes up from there. For example, add $400 - $500 if we need to rent a larger PA/Lighting system, hire a sound tech etc.

On average, we're pulling $250-$300 a piece per gig. Then again, we'll play for beer and pizza for the right crowd and if we feel like it - benefits of self-management.

This summer we are doing a 8PM - 10PM opening spot for the Saturday night headliner at a music festival about 5 hrs from here. We're getting $1200 plus meals and accomodations :AOK:

We are supposedly on the roster of a local talent agency and we've set our price at $1600 cuz they take a 25% cut (YIKES! :confused: ) - hmmm... come to think of it they haven't booked us for anything yet :whatever:

Life in the fast lane :dude: :beer:

luvmyshiner
December 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I normally ask $100 per person per hour for . . . funerals . . .

FUNERALS????:eek:

Dude, that's gotta be a depressing gig.:messedup:

just strum
December 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Irish funeral.

sumitomo
December 12th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Shiner you have got to go to a Gypsy Funeral sometime,talk about a party whew!Sumi:D

just strum
December 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
What are some of the gages used to determine the pay for a gig.

First, how does one (a group/band) determine their value? It sounds as if the number of members really doesn't mean a whole lot to the person doing the paying.

Second, how does the person paying determine the value of a band (besides wanting to pay as little as possible).

Don't take into account geographical location, but what other things come into play when determining the value of your group and/or the value of what one would be willing to pay.

marnold
December 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM

Hey, I do funerals all the time :)

They usually don't ask me to bust out the guitar tho.

Plank_Spanker
December 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
What are some of the gages used to determine the pay for a gig.

First, how does one (a group/band) determine their value? It sounds as if the number of members really doesn't mean a whole lot to the person doing the paying.

Second, how does the person paying determine the value of a band (besides wanting to pay as little as possible).

Don't take into account geographical location, but what other things come into play when determining the value of your group and/or the value of what one would be willing to pay.

You get a feel for what other local bands are pulling per gig and factor in your "draw factor". A brand new (unknown) band isn't going to have the draw, so you start out basically schmoozing your way into a gig for cheap - repeat bookings and prices contingent on the draw.

As the band builds a rep and a following, the band's hand in negotiations grows stronger. You start playing the better bars / clubs for more money. This takes time, a lot of leg work work, and spreading good will among the bar owners.................................it's doing good business.

Bar / club owners talk to each other. Your pay and repeat booking is based on your reputation as a draw.

It's all about networking with other bands and venue owners...................................with a big dose of patience.

just strum
December 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Plank,

So my idea of playing Vegas for a month and then retiring on my earnings probably isn't good idea? Keep in mind that the first night in Vegas will also be my first gig.

Plank_Spanker
December 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Plank,

So my idea of playing Vegas for a month and then retiring on my earnings probably isn't good idea? Keep in mind that the first night in Vegas will also be my first gig.

Don't quit your day job.

There's simply no major money to be made anywhere, anymore with live music. Some locales and gigs pay better than others, but you won't be able to make a living from it.

I'm just in it for the fun and the beer money.

just strum
December 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Don't quit your day job.

There's simply no major money to be made anywhere, anymore with live music. Some locales and gigs pay better than others, but you won't be able to make a living from it.

I'm just in it for the fun and the beer money.

I don't understand how anyone makes money in music these days. If you are a known act, people are burning your CD's and give them to friends or downloading from the internet and burning CD's for friends.

How does one make money in music?

Plank_Spanker
December 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I don't understand how anyone makes money in music these days. If you are a known act, people are burning your CD's and give them to friends or downloading from the internet and burning CD's for friends.

How does one make money in music?

Make money as far as major money goes? Not even the signed, air played acts are doing that. They're so far in hock with the labels with the advance money ( includes studio cost, pressing costs, and touring costs........................now some of the labels want of cut of merch) that they will be lucky to break even by the time the the ride ends. Everyone is making making money off the music but the musican himself.

I got a taste of this a little over twenty years ago when I was going to "make it".

As far as bar / club bands go, there is no way you're going to make a supportable living doing that. The gigs are just not out there.

If you're into music for the money, you're in the wrong game.

Jimi75
December 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM
New Year's Eve gigs are special, very special! We once played a New Year's Eve gig with the acoustic duo. We charged double the price we normally take and they paid without complaining, plus the buffet was free for us. We took approx. 1.100 USD that night. BUT we played and played and played, all in all about 7-8 hours in the lounge where people came to relax from the louder dance and disco music. we played our set over and over again with a break to have a snacks and drinks of course.