PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Cohen

Robert
December 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Not guitar-based music, and his singing is worse than mine, but I still like him. His lyrics are well worth paying attention to. Anyone else like his stuff? I don't listen to it often, but listening to him once in a while inspires me.

Ki9xcDs9jRk
30egIKHT-pM

markb
December 7th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I think Leonard Cohen's absolutely fantastic. Truly original and very witty. I really don't know why people find his songs depressing when they're so darned funny. Maybe it's just me :confused:

As an aside, one of our radio interviewers has what you might call "a thing" about Leonard Cohen and is so keen to get an interview with him when he tours NZ that she's trying to get her listeners to petition his management on her behalf. Is it me or does she sound just a little desperate? ;)

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/national/sat/2008/12/06/leonard_cohen_an_announcement

Jimi75
December 8th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Cohen is a great songwriter. I discovered him through a cover of one of his songs Jeff Buckley did. cohen has great lyrics and although he is not the greatest singer his melody lines are just beautiful.

tot_Ou_tard
December 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I think Leonard Cohen is fantastic, great lyrics. I like his voice too, my wife, on the other can't stand him.

She also hates Richard Thompson. Richard Thompson is amazing.

Luckily I love my wife. She can hate whatever music she wants & I'll still adore her.

evenkeel
December 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Love Cohen's work!!! First came to my attention back in the 70's via a obscure group, Pearls before Swine who did a wonderful cover of Suzanne.

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I like some of Cohen's work. He's definitely an original.

marnold
December 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM
If I hear "Hallelujah" one more time, the kitten gets it. It takes a lot to push a clergyman to the edge with song whose title means "Praise the Lord."

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
If I hear "Hallelujah" one more time, the kitten gets it. It takes a lot to push a clergyman to the edge with song whose title means "Praise the Lord."

Meaning they actually play it on the radio where you live? Hell, as much as it might get old to hear that song a lot (it's not one I particularly care for) I'd be thrilled that a radio station in my area even knew who Leonard Cohen was let alone played his music.

marnold
December 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Meaning they actually play it on the radio where you live? Hell, as much as it might get old to hear that song a lot (it's not one I particularly care for) I'd be thrilled that a radio station in my area even knew who Leonard Cohen was let alone played his music.
I don't know because I tend to listen to hard rock stations. However, for a while there it seemed like every movie and T.V. show used "Hallelujah" when there was a poignant or depressing moment. That's even considering the fact that I watch little T.V. and few movies.

markb
December 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't know because I tend to listen to hard rock stations. However, for a while there it seemed like every movie and T.V. show used "Hallelujah" when there was a poignant or depressing moment. That's even considering the fact that I watch little T.V. and few movies.

And it's been done to death by Idol contestants. Did any basically great song suffer so much?