PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Wales

Geraint Jones
December 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
A big shw`mae from Wales , I came across this site while searching for info on a Mexi roadhouse Strat , to feed my {i think my wife realises by now I`m beyond help} ever increasing collection of guitars . I played in bands in my younger days , although these days i think i can do without the egos and am now trying to come to terms with a 20 year phobia of the Stratocaster , does anyone else have any irrational guitar fears i wonder . Anyway Hwyl Fawr .

Robert
December 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome Geraint! I'm in Canada, would love to visit Wales some day.

A lot of us here are beyond help when it comes to guitars...

sunvalleylaw
December 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Welcome! I have some Welsh heritage myself. I don't know enough to have any guitar fears, but I know this is a great place. Glad you joined us.

warren0728
December 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
welcome geraint....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

oldguy
December 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:D
Hang around awhile, you'll get over Strat-o-phobia well enough............;)

markb
December 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi, Geraint.

tjcurtin1
December 8th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Geraint, welcome! I trust that those strange words are printable in a family forum....!

Spudman
December 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
does anyone else have any irrational guitar fears i wonder .

Oh ya, I have a few. If I play more guitars I'll want them and I FEAR that it will drive me crazy from desire. Is that irrational?

Welcome to the forum anyway.;) :wave:

SuperSwede
December 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hey Geraint!

Isnt that lovely bird Duffy from Wales?

Geraint Jones
December 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Indeed she is , no doubt she`ll be leaving for the bright lights and big city like all the rest . I`m trying to overcome my Strat phobia by getting a Roadhouse Strat [which the wife has made me put away for Christmas] having been a bit of an SRV fan this guitar seemed an affordable buy particularly with a 15% ebay voucher . As for my other guitars I`ve got a lovely Patrick Eggle Berlin pro , a Epi Sheraton which i sold my first car for in `89 , a Gordon Smith LP junior lookalike , a nasty looking Tele ,a Guild electro acoustic and a Martin 000r . Thanks for the big welcome I look forward to chatting with you all .

oldguy
December 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I think you'll love that Roadhouse Strat. I have one, and (hopefully);) a second one on the way. :D

Brian Krashpad
December 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Croeso!

Love the Clash quote btw.

PS-- let's see that Gordon-Smith!

They're rare this side of the Pond. I've seen exactly one onstage in all my years of gigging and going to shows.

Geraint Jones
December 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Prynhawn da Brian I`ll post some photos of it in the future, it`s a great no frills guitar , and certainly looks and feels handmade.I love your collection btw there sure are some unique looking axes in amongst that lot .

Mr Grumpy
December 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
As another GS owning brit I'd like to see the GS too(pics of mine are posted in the my photos bit). Welcome to the forum

Brian Krashpad
December 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Prynhawn da Brian I`ll post some photos of it in the future, it`s a great no frills guitar , and certainly looks and feels handmade.I love your collection btw there sure are some unique looking axes in amongst that lot .

Haha, yeah it's a motley crew to be sure. The Breadwinner, Ravelle, and Jet Star in particular are all a bit outside the norm. Thanks.

Blaze
December 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome & Bienvennue Mr. Jones ..

Are ya a relative of the great Tom..

Blazes:AOK:

thearabianmage
December 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hey, welcome to TheFret. What part of Wales are you from? My step-dad is from Pontypridd - he was a childhood mate of Tom Jones. One of my claims to fame. South Wales has really nice countryside, by the way.

Later

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the best forum this side of the universe.

Geraint Jones
December 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
It`s a common surname around here[ I don`t think Tom is part of our family clan ,we`re all quite pale] , originally I grew up not far north of Ponty in a small village called Cwmaman where men are men and sheep are scared .

Mr Grumpy
December 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
dont the stereophonics hail from that part of wales? (could be wrong of course)

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
...in a small village called Cwmaman where men are men and sheep are scared .

:D

You will fit in here very well my good Geraint :bravo:

Geraint Jones
December 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yes the Steriophonics do indeed come from the same small village , in fact Kelly Jones used to hang out in a guitar shop that opened briefly in the late 80`s where i bought my epiphone from .

Suhnton
December 18th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hey there and welcome. Griff Rhys Jones (of Smith and Jones fame) is also Welsh isn't he? Come to think of it, so is Sir Harry Secombe.

I just have a question regarding the Gaelic (?) you wrote in your first post. Is it commonly spoken in Wales, i.e out on the street? Also, how much does the dialect differ from that in Scotland and Ireland? It certainly is a beautiful sounding language, there is a Welsh group Super Furry Animals who sometimes sing in Gaelic (I hope I'm using the correct term here). I've also heard their singer do stuff with a Scots band called Mogwai (the song is called Dial R for Revenge off their album Rock Action). I think it would be very difficult to convey the same atmosphere/emotion in English.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, good to have you here.

Geraint Jones
December 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hello Suhnton , Griff Rhys Jones sounds a bit English to me but Harry Secombe was Mister Wales when I was growing up . Us Welsh have our own language which is not so common in the South , but frequently heard in the North and West of Wales . I love the Super Furry Animals , they`re really out there on their own i suppose , check out Neon Neon , Gruff Rhys`s latest collaboration

Bloozcat
December 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Welcome Sir Geraint of Dumnonia!

I see that you have been followed here by Sir Percival of Gales as well...:)

Geraint Jones
December 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Yes indeed my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries . Bloozecat

duhvoodooman
December 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
'Bout time I got around to welcoming you here, Geraint! I'm half Welsh myself, with my mom's side of the family (father = Hughes, mother = Williams; there were Jones', Lloyd's and Griffiths' on her side, too) who emigrated from the mines of Wales (Blaenau Ffestiniog area, I believe) to work in the slate & marble quarries of Vermont. And I see we both share a love of Strats & SRV! :AOK: :rockon:

mrmudcat
December 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM
WELCOME:beer: