PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of guitar insecurity, anyone ever notice this when Hendrix played Woodstock?

tremoloman
June 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Since we've been recently discussing music insecurity, I thought I'd mention this since it seems relevant and may help some of you.

I was watching the latest Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock double DVD with the new found extra footage about 2 weeks ago. They were interviewing members of the band that performed with Jimi on some bonus footage. Jimi and Billy Cox's friend who played guitar at Woodstock with him (I cannot remember his name but he was the guy with the scarf around his face) mentioned how intimidated he was to play with him at Woodstock. Jimi just called him out of the blue and asked “Hey, wanna play with us at Woodstock?” He said he was overwhelmed but went only because Jimi relentlessly insisted he play. (He's the guy who wore a scarf over his face because "I thought it looked cool and may start a new trend". It was funny but it didn't start a new trend - not yet anyways. :)

Anyway, during the performance you cannot hear his guitar buddy play anything for quite a few songs. I don’t remember which song it was (maybe Spanish Castle Magic or Fire?), but when his friend finally rips into a solo, you can see Jimi smile and his eyes light up. Jimi starts doing a “happy dance” that you can clearly tell made him excited that his friend finally stopped being so intimidated and started jamming. You could see how much it meant to him to see his friend play in front of an enormous crowd with him. I mean, being intimidated by a video is one thing, but imagine playing alongside of Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock?!? Talk about pressure! His buddy did play well when he did join in.

I’d have to say this is one of my most favorite Hendrix moments of all time. It demonstrates what music is all about – bringing people together and having a good time! Music truly is the ultimate aphrodisiac

The improvisation at the end of “Purple Haze” is mind blowing also… what a show!

Just another of the many reasons why I love Hendrix so much.

srv-fan68
June 21st, 2006, 10:45 AM
Aw man! I can't wait to see that. Could you give me the exact name of the DVD? There are so many Jimi DVDs out there that I want to make sure that I get the right one.

TIA

Slowhand
June 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
what a coincidence I was watching this this afternoon It's this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000AM6N9U/ref=dp_image_text_0/203-1451248-7139903?%5Fencoding=UTF8

srv-fan68
June 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks Slowhand. Great picture on that cover.

tremoloman
June 22nd, 2006, 07:26 AM
This gig is such a great show... you must do yourselves a favor and get this one!

I'll see if I can rip the part I'm talking about and post it somewhere to download. I can't promise anything, but I'll try.

Iago
June 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Oh, I gotta get this DVD soon!!!!

the name of that guy is Larry Lee... his guitar playing is barely audible on the original dvd.. i dunno about the new one.. :/ if its better or not...

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Oh, I gotta get this DVD soon!!!!

the name of that guy is Larry Lee... his guitar playing is barely audible on the original dvd.. i dunno about the new one.. :/ if its better or not...

On the new double DVD you can hear him easily. He doesn't play on many of the songs, but when he does you will hear it for sure.

I'll try to rip a video of the part I'm talking about tonight for you all. I think I should be able to handle it. :)