PDA

View Full Version : Best movie of 2008

Robert
December 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM
What's your pick?

I have to say, my pick is WALL-E - what a great movie that is. If you haven't seen it yet, go buy it on DVD and watch it with a friend.

www.wall-e.com

tunghaichuan
December 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
What's your pick?

I have to say, my pick is WALL-E - what a great movie that is. If you haven't seen it yet, go buy it on DVD and watch it with a friend.

www.wall-e.com

+1

It was the best movie I saw in the last year, without a doubt.

tung

ShootTheGlass
December 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I really enjoyed Street Kings. Quite similar in many respects to Training Day, but thats one of my favourite films anyway!

bigoldron
December 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM
What's your pick?

www.wall-e.com

The wife and kids and I saw it. We're big Pixar fans. Wall-E was OK. Real quality animation, but as a movie it was not as good to us as Bugs Life or Toy Story.

My pic for the year is "Fireproof". Whether you're married or just dating, you and your other half need to see it. It is a wonderfully written, well directed, extremely relevant movie that was made on a very low budget. The movie was filmed in Albany, Georgia, which is about 60 miles away and was made by the Kendrick brothers who are pastors at Sherwood Baptist Church.

It is still playing in some theaters and will be out on DVD on 1/27/09. It's definitely worth a look. :AOK:

birv2
December 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm going with Batman -- the Dark Knight. Pretty dark, but what a performance by Heath Ledger.

sumitomo
December 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I saw a movie called Fireproof and I really liked it.Sumi:D

Robert
December 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the tip about Fireproof, I'll take a look at that.

Dark Knight - I could I have forgotten... yes it definitely belongs up there.

bigoldron
December 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
If you're interested, Fireproof's website is:

FireproofTheMovie.com (http://fireproofthemovie.com/)

Check it out guys!

Ch0jin
December 8th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I have pretty varied tastes in film, but the two that spring to mind are Death Proof (Technically released in Nov 2007 over here, but I only saw it recently.) and Cloverfield.

Deathproof primarily for the cinematography and artistic feel. I loved the way it had a real 70's feel to it. I am also a huge sucker for QT's film referencing within his movies. I do enjoy re-watching his films and trying to pick all the insider references to his other films. Some people find that self indulgent and egotistical, I however, love it and would do the same if I was a film maker.

Plus the cars are awesome. I winced every time they dinged that Dodge Challenger though. What a sweet, sweet car. Also funny to hear a Kiwi accent from Zoe Bell (real life stunt woman playing a stunt woman..) in amongst it.

Cloverfield because I think The Blair Witch Project was one of the most innovative and terrifying movies ever made and this follows a very similar formula. Plus it has a great ending ;) (just like Blair Witch)

Jimi75
December 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM
BATMAN - THE DARK KNIGHT

Nothing comes even close in 2008.

I rarely went to the movies this year, because there were simply almost no good movies this year.

By the way, Wall-E is a really a cool movie, I would place it on second place for 2008, third place would be Cloverfield.

Kazz
December 9th, 2008, 06:00 AM
This has really been a non stellar year at the movies, but from what is out there I would say The Dark Knight is the strongest...Ledgers performance really stole the show....too bad he was not around to see the reaction.

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I was going to say August Rush, but looked it up and realized that was 2007. I will have to watch Batman though, based on the statements here.

R_of_G
December 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I have not gone to the theatre to see a single movie this year, and that alone says a lot. Nothing at all against The Dark Knight, I'm just not at all into superhero movies. From everything I've read and heard it sounds like it is well done but it's just not the kind of movie I enjoy.

I do plan on seeing Milk and The Wrestler but probably won't see either of them until they come out on DVD next year. I've read great reviews of both of them.

The only other film I missed this year that I'd want to see is Burn After Reading because I always love the Coen Brothers' films. Waiting for that DVD release as well.

I'd be happy to say Death Proof was the best of the year as I loved it (as well as Planet Terror), but Grindhouse was released in April of 2007 so it was way before 2008.

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Upon reflection, I guess I will say Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood. I thought it was well done, and really enjoyed the scenery, costumes, etc. depicting L.A. during the period. I liked Wall-E too, and enjoyed the warning message, but I found it depressing as a kids film. I am not ready to consign our world to abject failure and a re-boot.

Algonquin
December 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I haven't seen 'The Dark Knight', or 'Wall-E' yet, but I'm sure they're both good films.

I was impressed with Hellboy II, 'The Golden Army'

G_O0xYCy1cg

Glacies
December 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I have to go with Batman. That movie was incredible.

Tone2TheBone
December 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
The kids have Wall-E but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I'll like that about as much as I did The Incredibles after I finally saw it....

peachhead
December 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
My wife and I were just discussing going to get WallE for Christmas. I'm looking forward to it.
I don't see a lot of movies but I thought Ironman was pretty good. Did not see Batman.

Ron, I'm looking forward to checking out Fireproof. We talked about that a lot at church, I just never saw it.

tunghaichuan
December 9th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I don't see a lot of movies but I thought Ironman was pretty good. Did not see Batman.

While I liked the Dark Knight movie, I thought that Ironman was better.

tung

bigoldron
December 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM

tung

I didn't see the Dark Knight, but I did see Ironman and it was a hoot! I'm hoping there's a sequel! :AOK:

tunghaichuan
December 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I didn't see the Dark Knight, but I did see Ironman and it was a hoot! I'm hoping there's a sequel! :AOK:

It was very popular, well received and made a ton of money. You can pretty much count on it. :AOK: Plus I remember Robert Downey Jr. is already signed up for the sequel and a Movie about the Marvel Comics group the Avengers.

tung

Spudman
December 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM
It's hard for me to pick a 'best' because it seemed that every 2008 movie I saw was pretty much on par with each other. I liked Jumper, Prince Caspian, Vantage Point, and Iron Man...so far the best, but I can't say any one was 'the best.'

birv2
December 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM

tung

I've been a big comix fan my whole life, and I really enjoyed Ironman, esp. Downey's portrayal of Tony Stark. It was a great superhero movie. But I thought Batman was a great movie, not just a great superhero movie. And I've always been a Marvel fan as opposed to a DC fan.

Ledger's performance was unforgettable.