PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Gear

tot_Ou_tard
December 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I was at Best Buy tonight & was happily surprised by the Music Store that apparently opened on Black Friday.

Very cool!

marnold
December 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I want to see if they opened one at the Green Bay BB, but I'm not sure when I'll find myself down there again.

guitrkill3r
December 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
best buy music? we only have best buy the appliance/tv/computer/videogame/weird smelling place full of workers that stare u down

Teleblaster
December 15th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I've yet to run across one of the stores with instruments but I hear that they have quite a selection.

tot_Ou_tard
December 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
best buy music? we only have best buy the appliance/tv/computer/videogame/weird smelling place full of workers that stare u down

Same place only that in the very back of the store is a small music store.
They have an amp room where you can crank the amps & an acoustic room for playing the acoustics.

wingsdad
December 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I've got 2 BB's within 12 miles from home, and neither has the Music Store. That doesn't surprise me, since there are no GC's or Sam A's in this market, either. The closest BB Music Store is about 35 miles away, and it happens to be practically next door to the closest GC.

Here's the current list...CA & FL have the most, so far. No Green Bay, WI, Rev.

Best Buy Musical Instrument Stores NOW OPEN (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat157600050015&type=category)

If you go to 'Opening Soon', they don't have an actual list up.

marnold
December 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Here's the current list...CA & FL have the most, so far. No Green Bay, WI, Rev.
Ah well. Like I need another excuse to spend money anyway.

Bloozcat
December 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
None within 90 miles or so of me....

Gil Janus
December 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Not exactly close -

Portsmouth, NH
Total Distance: 167.33
Total Estimated Time 2 hours 34 minutes
Gil :cool:

street music
December 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
None close to me either. :flamemad:

tunghaichuan
December 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately for me, there is one about 5 miles from my house :eek:

Right across from an independent guitar store and right down the road from Guitar Center.

tung

peachhead
December 16th, 2008, 10:54 PM
None even remotely close to me.
But the closest BB does have Starcasters. :D :whatever:

tunghaichuan
December 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Went to the local BB music store yesterday. It's about 5 miles from my house. There was a shredder/death metal dude there shredding on a dual humbucker guitar through one of those Bogner/Line 6 amps. How lucky for me. :D

They had a Parker P36, and I plinked out a few notes. The lack of dot fret markers threw me a little bit. It played and sounded okay. It is made in Indonesia so I wondered why the price is so high at $700+. Ibanez has comparable Indonesian models that retail from $300-$400. So I guess we're paying for the Parker name.

I was not impressed with the rest of the store. The same amps, guitars, and FX that Guitar Center has, except not as many, and slightly higher in price. I can't see myself buying anything there.

tung

tunghaichuan
January 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Went back to BB yesterday. I had a chance to play the Parker 36 longer. Its a nice guitar. It was well set up, no fret buzz at all. The lack of fret markers didn't throw me as bad this time. One concerning thing: the pickguard was starting to warp. WTF? This is a $700+ guitar. It has only been in the store for a month or two and there is a problem with it already.

They are offering 10% off on everything including Boss pedals. :AOK: So I may go back and buy something.

tung

oldguy
January 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Yes, I would wonder what causes a pickguard to warp as well.
30 mi. from here is 1 BB, no musical instruments, just a lot of kids playing the video games constantly, and a bunch more who work there, but are too busy to help the customers.

tunghaichuan
January 22nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, I would wonder what causes a pickguard to warp as well.
30 mi. from here is 1 BB, no musical instruments, just a lot of kids playing the video games constantly, and a bunch more who work there, but are too busy to help the customers.

The P36 is a nice playing and sounding guitar. Very nice unamplified tones. The tele-style pickups sound very good. I noticed that it had a battery door on the back with a mono/stereo switch. Still, that guitar is very expensive for what it is and where it is made.

There was also a Parker P20(?) there with a bubinga top. Two humbuckers with coil taps. It played and sounded very nice as well. It was a bit of a neck diver, though.

Both the sales doods that helped me actually seemed to be fairly knowledgeable.

Another cool thing: they have the Crate V5 for $99 and 10% off this week. It is enough to cover the tax :whatever:

tung