PDA

View Full Version : Schaller or Dunlop strap locks?

M29
December 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hello All,

Which do you prefer? I am thinking of buying a gob of these I am long overdue.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

sunvalleylaw
December 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I have the Dunlops and like them fine. The Schallers you can get parts separately for as I recall (I think ShortBusX did a thread) so you can outfit multiple guitars and use the same straps without having to buy a set for each guitar/strap I think. I am too far down the Dunlop road now so will stay with those.

ShortBuSX
December 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Schaller!!!
Why? Cause its pretty much the industry standard for strap locks...Fender uses them on their higher end guitars...and youll find most(more) people use the Schaller type, so youll find your(own personal) Schaller setup strap will clip right in! I like this cause I feel right at home even when playing somebody elses guitar.

You are also able to find other brand Schaller types that are totally the same thing...only costing slightly less(around $15 vs $20).
Youre also able to buy replacement parts from StuMac, or even Fender brand lock pins(just the bottons) from MF. I really like these options cause youre able to get the guitar side only, like if you get a new guitar but already have enough straps or conversely if you just got a new strap(and no new guitar).

Since I got my strap locks Ive turned alot of other people onto the Schaller type...I really dont know anybody who uses the Donlop kind, but read about alot online. Often times my local shop only carries the Donlops, cause theyve sold out of the Schallers...sometimes it seems like a bother for them to do all that re-ordering, but if they aint got em when I need em I find them elsewhere...and usually for a better deal.

[edit]

I am too far down the Dunlop road now so will stay with those.

Yeah, thats where Im at with the Schallers.
I also think the Schallers are more "Fender-y"...and couldnt imagine installing Donlops on mah Fenders...I shudder to think of that poor 60th of yours with Donlops :poke:

And heres that topic with links (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8662&highlight=schaller)

duhvoodooman
December 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I prefer the Schaller system and use it on almost all my guitars. With the Dunlops, it's easier to accidentally release the lock by bumping the release button against something. The Schallers are almost impossible to release accidentally.

marnold
December 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I use Schallers. I've had to use the toothpick-and-wood-glue trick because the mounting screws have been smaller than the ones on the original strap buttons. I've got to get a black set for my bass one of these days.

M29
December 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Man what took you guys:D

Thanks for the info this is just what I needed. I had Schaller way back about the time they first came out but have not tried the Dunlops. I want to get a set for my strap and my daughters strap and then the parts for 6 guitars. Oh the joy! That is gunna cost me:thwap:

Thanks again.

M

Tone2TheBone
December 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Use what you can get. I have Dunlops on my Gibson and they work fine.

tot_Ou_tard
December 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I use Schaller, but only because Godin guitars come with them standard.

Use a little loctite on the strap part.

I have had no experience with Dunlop.

just strum
December 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I have both, but I prefer Schallers because of the added safety of utilizing gravity when it rests in the "U" cup.

Tibernius
December 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I've only ever used the Dunlop ones, but I see no reason to change from them. I got a set for my Les Paul copy that kept falling off the strap. It hasn't fallen off once since.
I've never had a problem with the release button on them either. Just a shame they don't sell the individual parts for them.

I bought a set of this version:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=139&pmh=products/accessories

just strum
December 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I've only ever used the Dunlop ones, but I see no reason to change from them. I got a set for my Les Paul copy that kept falling off the strap. It hasn't fallen off once since.
I've never had a problem with the release button on them either. Just a shame they don't sell the individual parts for them.

I bought a set of this version:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=139&pmh=products/accessories

that's the one thing nice about Schaller's, they sell the buttons separately, so you don't have to buy a complete assembly for each guitar.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/2/Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks.html

tot_Ou_tard
December 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
that's the one thing nice about Schaller's, they sell the buttons separately, so you don't have to buy a complete assembly for each guitar.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/2/Schaller_Strap_Security_Locks.html

Yeah, but I need the strap part. My Godins came with the buttons & I like each guitar to have it's own strap & it's own stand so I can just grab & play.

stingx
December 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I've always used Dunlops. I even took the Schallers off the JV and replaced them with Dunlops to be consistent. Consistency is important :)

F_BSurfer
December 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I have used just about all of them and right now have a set of Schaller and a set of Dunlops and a set of GFS and I like all three

Teleblaster
December 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Have you ever heard of using Grolsch beer bottle washers? The big Grolsch bottles with the champagne style pop top have these pink washers on them that you can slide over your strap and strap button. They work great! :beer:

Gil Janus
December 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I've always used Dunlops. I even took the Schallers off the JV and replaced them with Dunlops to be consistent. Consistency is important :)
I did the same - my VG Strat came with Schallers, but I replaced them with the Dunlops. The reason I changed to the Dunlops originally was that the Schallers didn't fit properly on a Fender Deluxe Wide Leather Strap ! The Dunlops worked like a champ. They also work on my EyelandEnterprises Sedona Strap, which is another strap that is thick at the button hole :thwap:

I got my daughter an Essex Bass for Christmas, and I'll be putting Dunlops on it too. The only drawback is that you have to buy a complete set to add another strap - I do keep one Fender Cotton Web Strap without locks to allow a new or borrowed instrument to be used. :D

And yes, I do have more straps than guitars - doesn't everyone ? ;)

Gil :cool:

araT
December 18th, 2008, 10:37 PM
And yes, I do have more straps than guitars - doesn't everyone ? ;)

Gil :cool:

Really?! I better go strap shopping!!.. I've got 11 guitars and 5 or 6 straps, but I really only use one of them.

All my main players have Schallers on, and I have a few spare sets of the buttons only, in case any new/rediscovered guitars need a set..

tot_Ou_tard
December 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Really?! I better go strap shopping!!.. I've got 11 guitars and 5 or 6 straps, but I really only use one of them.

All my main players have Schallers on, and I have a few spare sets of the buttons only, in case any new/rediscovered guitars need a set..
I'll trade you 2-3 straps for 2-3 of your guitars so that you'll have a one-to-one guitar to strap ratio.

I'm selfless that way.

M29
December 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Well...my Schaller strap locks came today and I am curious on how to mount them on the strap. I had these 25 years ago and I don't remember where the extra nut goes? I put the lug fitting on the underside of the strap with the threaded section up through the strap and then the washer on top with a nut tightened onto that. OK Fine, but there is an extra nut which I would assume is a locking nut but I do not have enough threads to get a good purchase on the first nut. Do you guys just leave the second nut off? I imagine it will stay tight and not loosen up but then maybe not. Do you just keep checking the tightness every now and then?

Thank you.

M

Plank_Spanker
December 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
M,

Looks like you got an extra nut. All of my Schallers have one nut for each strap end.

Be sure to put a dab of Lok Tite on the threads before you torque down the nut.

M29
December 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you Plank! Yeah I got two extra nuts one for each end. I thought it was kind of odd especially when some have trouble getting just one nut on.

M

Plank_Spanker
December 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
LOL!

With a thick strap, one nut can be a trick. :D