PDA

View Full Version : Paypal: I need the low down on it.

ZMAN
December 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey guys I have seen Payal being used on many items on Ebay and I really have never had any experience with it. I was going to order some speakers online and the seller said he could " email me a Paypal invoice if that works for you." I am not sure what he meant. I usually pay by credit card but apparently you can use Paypal as a go between so nobody knows your financial information.
Can you guys explain to me how Paypal works and what the benefits would be, and any costs involved. Is it worth getting a paypal account?

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hey guys I have seen Payal being used on many items on Ebay and I really have never had any experience with it. I was going to order some speakers online and the seller said he could " email me a Paypal invoice if that works for you." I am not sure what he meant. I usually pay by credit card but apparently you can use Paypal as a go between so nobody knows your financial information.
Can you guys explain to me how Paypal works and what the benefits would be, and any costs involved. Is it worth getting a paypal account?

They made unauthorized withdrawals from two of my bank accounts and then denied it was done through them. About two weeks go by and I get a notice that they (PayPal) were freezing my account (although I could put money in) because they found that someone had made unauthorized withdrawals. When questioned again, they said they found it and it had nothing to do with the bank statements I had showing it being done two weeks earlier.

Obviously I won't use PayPal and they can http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/asskiss.gif

Tibernius
December 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
That's the first time I've heard about that. I'd guess someone hacked your account, but without knowing all of the details...
I've been using PayPal for years and never had any trouble with it at all. :confused:

No costs unless you're receiving the money, it saves having to give your card details to loads of sellers (paypal takes the money out then gives it to the seller), it fills in your address for you as well.

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
That's the first I've heard about any problems with it. Been using it for years and never had any trouble with it at all. :confused:

No costs unless you're receiving the money, it saves having to give your card details to loads of sellers (paypal takes the money out then gives it to the seller), it fills in your address for you as well.

Google it and you will find that they are notorious for identity mistakes. I thought it was a great service until they went into their denial BS.

Be sure to write back when they clean out your bank account.

markb
December 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
You don't need a Paypal account to buy stuff. You use your credit card via Paypal and the seller receives the money just like any other on-line checkout system. You only need a Paypal account to receive money as a seller or to pay from a bank account. Personally, I've had no trouble running a Paypal account but Strum's experience is pretty awful.

Tibernius
December 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Google it and you will find that they are notorious for identity mistakes. I thought it was a great service until they went into their denial BS.

Be sure to write back when they clean out your bank account.

More likely someone hacked the account than PayPal themselves did it. Anything's possible though, I suppose...

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Mopre likely someone hacked the account than PayPal themselves did it. Anything's possible though, I suppose...

Personally, I think it was an employee.

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
It is unfortunate that I closed my PayPal and Ebay account, I would be tempted to bid on the Senate seat that they are auctioning off.

Kazz
December 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I for one count myself lucky, I have never had a problem with paypal...and the one problem I did have with a purchase on Ebay, paypal stepped in and made sure I got my money back.

ZMAN
December 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I wont be using paypal. I have a charge card with a low limit. I took it out on purpose for these types of purchases. I will use that one.

hubberjub
December 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Paypal has been great for me. They were even very helpful when I had a problem with someone running an Ebay scam. They do charge a fee if you are the seller but it's no worse than the fee a credit card company charges you.

evenkeel
December 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I've bought and sold on ebay, using Pay Pal for years and never had a problem.

A couple of years ago I had a bunch of phishing e-mails from fake Paypals. Looked very much like a Paypal web site but very much fake. That seems to have dried up.

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
The evil Satan known as PayPal will get you guys some day. I tell you now, repent, repent, repent.

Tone2TheBone
December 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
People like using Pay Pal invoices because if there is any question about the transaction there is record of it through Ebay. It benefits both the seller and the buyer. I've used Pay Pal through Ebay very successfully myself and have done many transactions from both strangers around the world and with friends here at the Fret...all without any trouble at all.

duhvoodooman
December 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I've used PayPal for several years now without any problem. When I ran into a crooked seller one time on eBay, they got my money back. No complaints at all.

While Strum's experience is truly unfortunate, I really believe his story is the exception rather than the rule. When millions of people use a service, it's not hard to find thousands who have had a bad experience. But keep in mind that still equates to a tiny percentage.

BluezOldy
December 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I've used PayPal for years and never had a problem. I notice that large well-known companies and some government departments are using it now.

As for someone having a bad experience with PayPal, I've heard the same thing about banks and the major credit card companies. In Australia, PayPal is a licensed financial institution under the same government regulatory body that supervises banks.

To be on the safe side for Internet transactions I have a low limit direct debit-style credit card in which I keep zero funds and only transfer funds into it when I want to buy something.

Robert
December 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've use PayPal for 7 years now and never had a problem. Yes, I think it is worth getting an account since it's easy to use, quick to set up and the fees are reasonable.

bigoldron
December 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I've used Paypal for pretty much all of my Ebay experience and have never had a problem. In fact, I bought a guitar one time and the seller drug his feet for a long time and the only way I got it shipped was the file a complaint with Paypal. Strum, I hate that you've been stung, but I've had no issues with Paypal and recommend it to anyone dealing on Ebay.

peachhead
December 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The only negative thing I can say is- Paypal makes it too easy to spend money. Paypal + TheFret.net is a lethal combination to my bank account.

Seriously, I've had no issues with it and will continue to use it.