PDA

View Full Version : The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have (and also other have) made comments about picks and other accessories that I feel are over priced. The V pick is just one of them.

So, for the purpose of discussion I was wondering how the forum felt about the subject.

My take: Some people go out and spend an above average price for "special" accessories, yet play or plug them into $150 Squiers. Some state the Squiers (or any inexpensive guitar) sounds just as good as the more expensive models and don't see the need to buy the more expensive guitar. However, they will pay the price for the more expensive accessories.

Before I get pounced upon, I've seen this same phenomenon at a number of forums, so I am not singling out the people here.

So, your thoughts? Remember, this is discussion.

thearabianmage
December 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Being very cautious there, Strum. You would have thought most people would assume if you say something, it is your opinion. . . But not always, I guess.

I know what you mean though - and there can be a few reasons for this.

A - the difference in price between a lesser guitar, i.e. Squier, to its more expensive counterpart, i.e. Fender, can be great as opposed to the difference in price between a $1 pick and a $5 pick, even though that's actually a 500% markup.

B - some people don't like to admit they suck and try to compensate by buying more expensive, though ultimately useless (in terms of 'better' playing), gear. Following in Strum's footsteps, I don't know a single person here that does that, but rather people I've played with over the years.

C - sometimes, people may just like that expensive little pick. There's a French saying that goes something like Je ne sais quoi that sort of sums up that feeling.

All good discussion, though.

Mage

Robert
December 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Is $4.00 for a pick is expensive? Compare to most pedals which we probably all buy too many of, most of them are $40.00+... I think $4.00 is a small investment for something you will enjoy using when playing guitar.

I think Squiers are underpriced. They should cost more.

Some think the $150 modeling amp sounds just as good as the $1500 dollar amp... it's all in the head and in the wallet.

Robert
December 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Being very cautious there, Strum. You would have thought most people would assume if you say something, it is your opinion. . . But not always, I guess.

Mage

What do you mean by that comment. If you are trying to say something, spit it out. We are all entitled to our opinions of course, even the Administrator happens to have one. ;)

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Robert, you and I obviously differ on the practical (using that word for lack of a better one at the moment) price for certain things with picks being one that just bugs me. The reverse is true on guitars, you feel Squiers are good and under priced, I feel they are low cost guitars and play like one.

Over at the Epiphone forum there is a running debate about epi being just as good as Gibson. I personally feel that some Epi's give Gibson a good run for the money. There is and always will be the cost of things being associated with the quality and performance of an item.

I don't see any value in a $4.00+ pick versus the $.45 to $.65 ones I picked up yesterday. Now I have no clue about the ones that you purchased recently, but I owned V pick and without question I think they are nothing more than a $.45 pick that are over hyped so they can charge more.

I'm not really taking a poke at you, but you also brought up cable, another item that seems to attract attention if it cost more, but in most cases the more costly product brings very little, if any, improvement in performance.

Now, I will give you the edge in knowledge seeing that you have played far longer than me and you have acquired far more toys than me. However, I must again remind you that I am older and therefore more apt to be right since it has been proven time after time I am never wrong.:poke:

thearabianmage
December 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
We are all entitled to our opinions of course, even the Administrator happens to have one. ;)

And I never said anyone wasn't :D

---EDIT---
Although, after reading Strum's post, I will state my own. I think that certain cables can be better than others. I used to go through 2-3 cables a year until I started forking out a bit more on them. Then I went to a standard Planet Waves cables, it went to 1 cable a year, and now that I have switched to a better quality Planet Waves, I've used the same ones for nearly 2 years with no problems. They are about £15 each and I think they are worth every penny for various reasons.

hubberjub
December 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
As a recent convert to V-Picks I can say that I know where you are coming from. I didn't see the point in spending $4 on a pick. Even after I got them I wasn't sure if they were worth it. It took me a few weeks to get use to them but I definetely have seen my picking technique improve. I actually had to adjust my picking hand position but that's a small sacrifice. I now don't find $4 all that expensive. My friend uses tortoise shell picks which cost around $50. I have never been the type of person to buy cheap equipment. That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with less expensive gear. Spending a little more on my gear makes me feel more confident when I play. I feel like it's more reliable. I like knowing that my guitars (not my Gibson or Fenders) were crafted by a highly skilled luthier as opposed to being spit out of a machine by the thousands. None of this necessarily makes me a better player. The guitar is a hobby and a passion of mine. To me, it's worth it.

just strum
December 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I guess my problem is understanding why one would play a cheap guitar with expensive or high end picks and cable. It's a cheap guitar, so the pick and cable aren't going to make it any better. Put that extra money towards a better guitar.

hubberjub
December 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I guess my problem is understanding why one would play a cheap guitar with expensive or high end picks and cable. It's a cheap guitar, so the pick and cable aren't going to make it any better. Put that extra money towards a better guitar.

I agree with you. Your signal can only be as good as it's weakest link.

markb
December 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I'll agree that good cables are money well spent but there is a limit. Very cheap cables are a waste of money in terms of life expectancy in my experience. But on the other hand, a £100 cable (and they do exist) gets you way up the diminishing returns path.

Spudman
December 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
The V Pick is worth everything I spent on it. I love it and it will last my life time.

Strum, I think you need to get past gear issues and just focus on playing your guitar. It doesn't really matter what something costs. That is for the consumer to decide. If something bugs you then look at what doesn't bug you and pick up your guitar and play. That's really what matters most. Change your focus and improve your playing.

I don't think anything is over priced. I just stick within my budget and everything is just right.:) I have no problems making music with what I own no matter what it cost.

Cheap does not equal inferior.

syo
December 11th, 2008, 02:25 AM
If you will allow a newbie a few thoughts...

The V Pick is worth everything I spent on it. I love it and it will last my life time.

Strum, I think you need to get past gear issues and just focus on playing your guitar.

I think if we all stopped focusing on gear issues and just focus on playing, this forum would be a bit of a drag.;)

I think people are into guitar for all kinds of reasons. Some serious some not, but the gear issue is a purely personal matter I think. Sure some things are overpriced (markups that far exceed the per unit cost to manufacture and bring to market) but that's where the free market comes in.

As for the V-Pick, I had never heard of them before running into Vinni (boss of V-Pick) in mid rant about his products. "Santana buys them by the crate and says it's the only pick he'll use and I don't pay him nuthin'". etc, etc. His spiel was amazing. I was going to burst out laughing but I couldn't help admiring his old school pitch. We talked and he gave me one of his picks. Said it costs 15 dollars. I couldn't believe anyone would pay that much for a piece of plastic. Then I tried it out when I got home. Within a week I decided I cannot live without Vinni's picks. Are they overpriced? For the material costs/labor, probably. But it's a unique product that I will buy because it works for me, so it is worth the cost.

My three cents anyway.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Its sad that some players doesnt realize what difference in sound/feeling a good pick can do...

I sometimes play with a coin when I want that fat Albert King sound, and playing around with different picks can be just as fun as a new pedal.

Speaking of the V-picks, I got one from Vinnie and I really like it..

Jimi75
December 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM

That is because nobody is perfect and desires and wishes vary from time to time. When GAS enters the head no concious decision can be made. Example: You have a 150USD Squier and then GAS hit you on a cool T-Rex Spin Doctor Pedal that cost twice if not three times as much or you read something about better sound with more expensive cables...Sometimes the priorities we guitarists set are chaotic and lead by GAS, but that is what makes the magic with our hobby/passion. No rules here. Maybe the Squier guy never felt the need for another guitar because it sounds great, but he always had issues with his overdrive pedal and then he buys some boutique overdrive. Absolutely okay, as long as it makes him happy. :AOK:

Regarding the 4$ for a pick. Well, same thing, there is people who spent 4$ for cigarettes, so what, try the 4$ pick and decide for yourself if it worth spending the 4$.

tot_Ou_tard
December 11th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Picks can change the tone & picking dynamics of any guitar.

One can emphasize the high frequencies, one can lend itself more to smooth, fast playing with a fatter tone.

Yes, if you are playing a a not so good guitar the former will emphasize the high frequencies of that guitar & the the other its the darker tones--& you might not like either of these. I'd be very surprised if anyone would claim that a pick could transform sh!t into gold.

On the other hand, one can easily see the use in difference in emphasis, speed, ease of grip, etc regardless of the guitar. If $4 can get you some of that, it seems worth it to me.

No big deal if you tried one such choice & found no difference in any of the subtleties mentioned above.

That said you can get a heck of a lot of mileage from whatever pick you happen to be using by varying pick attack angle & where you pick, over neck pup, behind the bridge, in the middle, down the neck, etc. I can't play worth beans, but it sounds different to play beansless near the neck than by the bridge.

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I don't have a V pick or really nice pick, but like to try different picks and do not doubt anyone who says they make a difference to them. Among the less expensive picks I have tried, I really like some and really dislike others. I dislike dunlop nylon style, really like tortex, and fender heavys, and now am leaning toward Dunlop Ultex with the rhino on them. They seem bright and articulate. I bet I try one of these more expensive ones one of these days.

As we know from this forum, you can find some great values in the inexpensive lines like Squire, SX, Xaviere, etc. and you still need a good picking surface that works for you. Both physical effects, and confidence are affected. And you need decent enough cables that don't add noise, impair signal etc. Livewires are a little more than the cheapest and seem to do the job for me.

But playing more would make the most difference for me I think.

poodlesrule
December 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Veering off-subject a bit, I see some backward similarities with some motorcycle riders:

Super-expensive new (or near-new) bikes... and extremely poor to-non-existent essential safety gear, and often rider skills!

(Not even the $25 leather H-D work gloves... people never heard of tendon surgery and gravel removal, I guess)

evenkeel
December 11th, 2008, 07:51 AM
This discussion reminds me how "personal" playing guitar is. Bass players, drummers, keyboard players, just don't seem to have this emotional/personal attachment to the instrument. I've watched a zillion jams over the years and have never seen a guitar player borrow an axe to join the jam. Yet bass players often do, drummers, keyboard guys always. I've seen all kinds of singers join a jam, have never seen one bring there own mic. So.... all these little things like choice of picks, strings (Strums fave subject), pickups etc.. are part of the phenomenon.

Buying a $4 pic is also a small indulgence if you will. Can't drop a fortune for a vintage Les Paul or pre war Martin, but I can have the absolute best pick. Sort of like spending $4 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

bigoldron
December 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Strum's topic was picks and OTHER over priced gear. What I can't understand is the ridiculous price of some of the straps that people are buying. I guess they're the same ones who buy overpriced jeans that already worn out and $30,000+ vehicles to get 5 more miles to gallon or even RELICED GUITARS. :D

Just my two cents (make it 5 with inflation.) :D

Spudman
December 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Strum's topic was picks and OTHER over priced gear. What I can't understand is the ridiculous price of some of the straps that people are buying. I guess they're the same ones who buy overpriced jeans that already worn out and $30,000+ vehicles to get 5 more miles to gallon or even RELICED GUITARS. :D

Just my two cents (make it 5 with inflation.) :D

I agree with this. The Van Halen Peavey straps are a little overboard at $150.

tot_Ou_tard
December 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I'll sell you a relic'd Vpick for $6 ;).

marnold
December 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM
This discussion reminds me how "personal" playing guitar is. Bass players, drummers, keyboard players, just don't seem to have this emotional/personal attachment to the instrument. I've watched a zillion jams over the years and have never seen a guitar player borrow an axe to join the jam. Yet bass players often do, drummers, keyboard guys always. I've seen all kinds of singers join a jam, have never seen one bring there own mic. So.... all these little things like choice of picks, strings (Strums fave subject), pickups etc.. are part of the phenomenon.
I'll agree that in my limited experience that bass players tend to be more laid back about these sorts of things, but just peruse the TalkBass forums sometime and you'll see GAS and related insanities are alive and well in the bass world. Post a thread about whether SX basses are any good or not, sit back, and watch the show.

Plank_Spanker
December 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
The only person a player's gear has to please is the player - be it over the top, boutique, expensive, cheap, or "spark-o-matic". If the player feels good about his gear, it's all good........................even if the player is playing a '59 Les Paul with $300 cables through a Super Skull Splitter spark-o-matic amp.

A player needs only to justify his gear to himself.

R_of_G
December 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Cheap does not equal inferior.

Words of wisdom right there Spud. :)

I have two friends that are professional musicians, both of whom have owned dozens of guitars and played hundreds of others ranging from the super-cheap to the super-boutique. Both of them insist that my $125 Squire Strat is one of the best-playing Strats they've ever picked up.

As far as other gear goes, it's all dependent on what it is you're actually looking for in a sound. I have a lot of affinity for some bands with a very lo-fi sound. If they were more polished and clean, they wouldn't appeal to me at all. This is not the case with everything I listen to, but it makes the point that not everybody is looking for the same clarity in their sound.

Spudman
December 11th, 2008, 09:51 AM
The only person a player's gear has to please is the player - be it over the top, boutique, expensive, cheap, or "spark-o-matic". If the player feels good about his gear, it's all good........................even if the player is playing a '59 Les Paul with $300 cables through a Super Skull Splitter spark-o-matic amp.

A player needs only to justify his gear to himself.

You are a sage. Very nicely put.:AOK:

ps. where do I find this Super Skull Splitter Spark-o-matic?

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
ps. where do I find this Super Skull Splitter Spark-o-matic?

You dont have one??? What kind of collector are you?? :D

just strum
December 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Strum, I think you need to get past gear issues and just focus on playing your guitar. It doesn't really matter what something costs. That is for the consumer to decide. If something bugs you then look at what doesn't bug you and pick up your guitar and play. That's really what matters most. Change your focus and improve your playing.

No, I don't have a gear issue as you see it. I am questioning the value of various gear as it relates to the end product/results. Having a gear issue would be someone that wets themselves every time they buy something that is even remotely related to the guitar.

I guess because I don't drool over the same product, I therefore am not following the forum line. Expressing anything outside of the "accepted" then becomes the unacceptable and an attempt to shut down the "DISCUSSION" follows.

I question a product and you attack my practice habits?

It's just a discussion about why and why not a product or products might be worth the value.

ShortBuSX
December 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I guess because I don't drool over the same product, I therefore am not following the forum line. Expressing anything outside of the "accepted" then becomes the unacceptable and an attempt to shut down the "DISCUSSION" follows.

I respect you more and more everyday it seems. :master:

Im diggin the whole cost vs value topic.
But in the case of Squiers, you can let low cost dictate value...they really are great guitars and Id even go as far as to say underpriced.
But conversely a $4 pick or $150 strap doesnt dictate value either.

bigoldron
December 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Guys, take a chill pill. It's just a discussion topic, not a presidential debate. Remember, Santa Claus is watching you!!!

Katastrophe
December 11th, 2008, 01:34 PM
See, I tend to make my vote with my wallet. I simply don't buy items that seem overinflated for the job that they do.

A $5,000.00 PRS? Probably won't buy one, no matter how well they play.

A $500.00-600.00 PRS SE model? You bet, because they play great and are solid, well built guitars.

Others may disagree, and state that the higher price is justified for them. That's cool, it just ain't for me.

I play the picks that I play because I've tried a bunch of different thicknesses and materials over the years, and the ones that I like work best for me.

HOWEVER....

If I find a product that does its job so well, and is more durable than the competition, but is priced higher, I may save a little extra to afford that product.

In other words, I can see myself playing on a Squier (or an Epi, or an SX, et cetera) with other, more expensive equipment if the product does what I want it to do. It's all about function.

just strum
December 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm dropping out, not worth discussing.

LagrangeCalvert
December 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I respect you more and more everyday it seems. :master:
Im diggin the whole cost vs value topic.

So why don't we as a forum create a venue or a topic threat that is sticky'd to the top of the page where WE ALL can rate how we feel the cost VS value?

Andy
December 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I believe there is a difference between an epi and a gibson , and a xavier and a tele. however unless a person is at the point of being hindered or held back in some way by the cheaper guitar ,amp picks ,strings it's not really going to help them much to get the expensive stuff.other than to have something that stays in tune a little better or plays and sounds better.
or makes them feel better.

contrary to popular beliefe,you can still learn and play on a cheaper guitar

I always compare it to golf

when you are a pro golfer than a high end expensive club will give you that slight advantage because you are at the level to reap the benefits of that high caliber club. if you are just a beginner or intermediate player than that club will probably not make much difference at all.

but that doesn't mean a person should not buy what they want , if they have the money and are not putting their finances in a bind than go for it.why not. you have earned it

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm dropping out, not worth discussing.

Heck I play both cheap and not so cheap and I don't even know what a V pick is how do you think I feel! :D

*goes to google*

marnold
December 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I always compare it to golf

when you are a pro golfer than a high end expensive club will give you that slight advantage because you are at the level to reap the benefits of that high caliber club. if you are just a beginner or intermediate player than that club will probably not make much difference at all.
An excellent comparison. I remember hearing some of my wife's relatives talking about how much they spent on golf balls. I started laughing, thinking that it was some of the stupid one-upsmanship that her cousins could get into. About 1/2 second later I realized that they were all dead serious. I'm stunned at the amount of money they spend on golf gear and that's not even considering green fees.

I was considering saying that at least with guitars you don't have to wear stupid clothes, but then I thought of some of my favorite guitarists in the 80s . . .

tjcurtin1
December 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I've really enjoyed all of the responses to this thread - but I don't feel that anyone has tried to provide THE answer to Strum's question, or intended to do so. Please, step back and take a breath - don't let a discussion about $4 picks cost anyone a Fret friendship that is worth a lot more than that! The cameraderie here has been worth more to me than most of my (inexpensive tho it be!) gear.

peachhead
December 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yes, I believe there are some things that are just overpriced...but who is to say what is really overpriced as long as people are willing to spend the money to get it?
I may not think an italian leather strap is worth $150, so I wouldn't buy it. But I've never spent five hours on stage playing with a 10 pound LP hanging off my shoulder. Someone else here may already have one, and would not want to be without it.

$4 for a pick seems a bit high but I'm curious enough to try to get one just to see. Of course if I don't like it then I'll be irritated I spent $4 on the thing, but that's life.

I guess my point is, value is relative to the consumer.

Now I don't really know if I answered the question or not. :confused:

street music
December 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
An excellent comparison. I remember hearing some of my wife's relatives talking about how much they spent on golf balls. I started laughing, thinking that it was some of the stupid one-upsmanship that her cousins could get into. About 1/2 second later I realized that they were all dead serious. I'm stunned at the amount of money they spend on golf gear and that's not even considering green fees.

I was considering saying that at least with guitars you don't have to wear stupid clothes, but then I thought of some of my favorite guitarists in the 80s . . .

Man does this hit home- since I play golf and attempt to play to guitar with about the same amount of skills. I've never had a lot of $$$$$$ and I grew up working hard for $$$$ all my life. So I never have been one to spend huge dollars for something that I could a similar or like item at a lower price. I'm still quite a learning guitar player but have several friends who have MUCHO DOLLARS invested in gear who are very impressed when they play my cheap guitars through good amps. The same goes for when I'm playing golf- I have a set of clubs that are copy cats of Callaway clubs that cost 5 times as much. I can hit the ball just as straight and far as my friend does with his set of BIG BERTHA clubs. I think my point is we all have reasons for buying what we like and there may be visible or audible differences to each ear and eye. I'm glad to see this information shared and I have learned a lot from these discussions on this site. I have heard changes in tone from changing picks all though some are not very noteable. Will I pay $4 for a pick? The answer is Yes! Why? To give it a try and see what or if there is a difference. I hope that we all continue to express our opinions and report our findings.:dude:

Blaze
December 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Practicing & being passionate about your instrument is priceless

for other things there s Masterca....

Childbride
December 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM
strummy:

my answer to your discussion is this.

we are musicians.

we play an instrument.

we are also human.

it's thursday, for example, and a full moon. we are rumaging in our non-practice time on the internet for the next cool toy, b/c we all experience gas that pepto will not fix. especially in this economy, when everyone is having to count every single penny going in/out of their wallets. the urge to break once in awhile is a maddening, insufferable itch.

we see a peso pick, for example, here in texas. stupid price. but he$$, BG from zz top had one. it's not expensive as a guitar. we had a little extra this month. why not try it. may be fun.

we experiment with the money that we have to have toys.

we never truly grow up, [I]especially if you are shiner.

we just have more expensive toys.

luvmyshiner
December 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
we never truly grow up, especially if you are shiner.

I think I just farted . . .

Wait a minute, what were we talking about????:thwap:

:D

LagrangeCalvert
December 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM

I do have to say in their defense the golf ball is the one piece of gear that will make a difference, a pro or hack....... I spend a lot of money on golf balls. Its the different between a 2-4 over par game and a 7-9 over par game. Trust me, with clubs though, unless you are a pro (have your PGA card...not even a touring pro) the clubs wont make a difference, unless their K-mart clubs.....then spend a little bit more money and get a decent set of clubs.

hubberjub
December 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I'm suprised at how many feathers this thread has ruffled. This has been the most polarized topic I have seen in a while. It is still far more tame than anything I have seen on HC. If you are so bold as to have an opinion on that forum you are immediately confronted with ridicule and profanity. That just reminds me why I like this forum. I enjoy a good debate but we can walk away friends after it's all said and done without seeing the term STFU. I like thefret.net.

bigoldron
December 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM
without seeing the term STFU.

Oooo! You said a worty dird! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe it's time to hijack this thread or move on to something else???!!! :messedup:

As far as I'm concerned, you're all right. Remember opinions are like b%#*holes, everybody's got one. If I was a drinking man like I used to be, I'd declare it P.O.E.T.S. day and just fugetaboudit! :beer:

Algonquin
December 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
without seeing the term STFU.

Oooo! You said a worty dird! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Strat, Tele, Fender, Unicorn... is Unicorn a bad word? :confused:

Lev
December 12th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Remember opinions are like b%#*holes, everybody's got one.

That explains all the GAS around here!

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Strummy is it the hype that you are primarily concerned with?

One can become convinced that one NEEDS such & so expensive piece of gear after reading all the raves.

If you happen to actually buy it, it might do absolutely nothing for you or at least nothing near worth it's cost. For another it might.

It is helpful to hear all opinions, including those for whom it was a waste of money, so as to form a well-rounded picture & to help stem the tide of GOTTA-HAVE group-think.

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Are these V picks only available from the website? I finally looked into them and they "look" cool. Sound cool has yet to be determined. I like the stick to your fingers idea. I listened to their samples and really I could not tell any difference. I might be able to if I had one I suppose.

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Are these V picks only available from the website?

Look't what you did Strum! You post that V-picks are expensive overated hype & you get Tone drooling for one. You can't win. ;)

Yes, I believe that currently you can only by them direct from Vinnie.

Gil Janus
December 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Look't what you did Strum! You post that V-picks are expensive overated hype & you get Tone drooling for one. You can't win. ;)

Yes, I believe that currently you can only by them direct from Vinnie.
Ah no, there is a list of stores that carry them - Locations (http://www.v-picks.com/Stores.html)

And yes, I own some v-picks, a little pricey, but I like them. :thwap:

Gil :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Ah no, there is a list of stores that carry them - Locations (http://www.v-picks.com/Stores.html)

And yes, I own some v-picks, a little pricey, but I like them. :thwap:

Gil :cool: I stand corrected Gil. Thanks.

I really like Pyramid picks & those are much cheaper.

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
*Googles Pyramid picks*.....

Algonquin
December 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
*Googles Pyramid picks*.....
Did the same thing :rotflmao:

Gil Janus
December 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Did the same thing :rotflmao:
Me three. :rolleyes:

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'll bet you all thought that they were SHAPED like pyramids.

Nope, they're just standard-style picks, but I like the heavy ones.

V-Pick's are something completely other.

Spudman
December 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Here is a V Pick thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=392&highlight=v+picks).

Tibernius
December 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
For the record:

The most expensive guitar I've got was £120. That was the acoustic. Most expensive of the electrics cost £100. My amp(h) cost £90. The multi-effects unit cost £80ish. I think the cable cost £15, both of the straps I've bought cost £15 each. I bought a 25-pack of Planet Waves picks for about £5 a while ago and I've still got most of them left.

I personally would not buy expensive picks unless I was a pro. Because I lose dozens of them and I couldn't afford to. :thwap:
Expensive cables on the other hand...with them it's the old point "you buy cheap, you buy twice". And I can tell the difference in sound/signal quality between the cables that came free with some of the guitars and the one I bought.

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
OK

Howz'about these pricey picks?

http://www.dugainpicks.com/

Just plain silly?

Too bad you didn't order last month. You missed out on the following deal
for a "Mystery Wood Pick" if you spend over $118 in picks.
NOV OFER
Free
MYSTERY WOOD PICK (http://www.dugainpicks.com/wood.html)
with all orders over £60/$118/€76
(incl. post)

http://www.dugainpicks.com/pix/nav/dug1.jpg (http://www.dugainpicks.com/dugain.html) http://www.dugainpicks.com/pix/nav/horn1.jpg (http://www.dugainpicks.com/horn.html) http://www.dugainpicks.com/pix/nav/wood1.jpg (http://www.dugainpicks.com/wood.html) http://www.dugainpicks.com/pix/nav/stone1.jpg (http://www.dugainpicks.com/stone.html) http://www.dugainpicks.com/pix/nav/metal1.jpg (http://www.dugainpicks.com/metal.html)

Southpaws rejoice, there are Dugains especially made for lefty's!

Best of all?!? Woolly Mammoth pick!

http://www.dugainpicks.com/pix/home/mammothpic1.jpg (http://www.dugainpicks.com/various.html#mammoth)

just strum
December 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Good post Tot. Looking back, I should have made my post read something like:

The range in prices for picks and other gear/accesories range widely. I would assume, like guitars, the price doesn't necessarily mean quality, better performance, or any other attribute one would want when spending more money. However, if the product sells, they obviously bring something to the table. My question is - do you actually get increased value with the increased cost and if so, what has been your experience (good or bad) in buying the higher priced item? We've had this discussion as it relates to guitars Epi vs Gibson, Squier vs Fender and so on. It's not a "which one is better" it's more of what does higher end bring to the table and is the difference in price worth it? Another point that can be made is the purchase of higher end product because one records and for that reason buys the higher end cable. I am practicing in a 10x11 room with a AD30VT and a Epi Jr, would high end cable really provide the value for my purpose?

So that is what I should have stated, but it's too late now.:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Nope, it's never too late.

syo
December 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Started with V-Picks, which led me to try Dugains and now finally this:

http://www.wallstreetfighter.com/2008/05/worlds-most-expensive-guitar-picks-4674.html

Makes my Squire play twice as good as before.:D

bigoldron
December 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Yep, that's what Carly Simon said, "It's too late, baby, now it's too late." Let's see if you young whippersnappers know what I'm talking about. :D

just strum
December 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Started with V-Picks, which led me to try Dugains and now finally this:

http://www.wallstreetfighter.com/2008/05/worlds-most-expensive-guitar-picks-4674.html

Makes my Squire play twice as good as before.:D

And then this begs the question, has anyone bought one?

Andy
December 13th, 2008, 11:09 AM
my first 5 years of playing guitar were dire

When I had my first guitar I was using playing cards and matchbook covers for picks. I inherited a cheap acoustic guitar from my older brother.

I didn't get my own amp and electric for about 3 years, it was a bandmaster head that cost me $100 with a home make cab made from a bunch of home stereo speakers my younger brother built for me built in school.

the guitar was very cheap, but I was so proud of it and that cab and I practiced every day
even tho the action was a mile high

so for me to spend more than $5 on a pick doesn't compute.I learned how to play and kept my interest on matchbook covers and an out of tune cheap guitar. lol

now many years later, I can afford these things.plus we didn't have many picks and strings to choose from back than anyway.

when I see beginners with les pauls and boutique amps complaining about the pickups and action issues or the tonality of the speaker.... , I have to bite my lip. I've gotten very good at biting my lip about alot of things.

I figure if people can afford what they want than go ahead get the best.
I didn't have that option in my younger days, but I try to not think about it that way. I try not to let a sense of jealousy show. I can finally afford that stuff, the difference is I feel like I payed my dues to get there.

I can see where these subjects can cause strife, it's just a metter of understanding where people are coming from.I came from a point where new strings were a luxury. and played on 5 or 4 till I could get some new ones.

thank goodness it's not like that anymore..lol
In my mind,it's not about the gear it's about drive and desire to play no matter what you have. be happy, it's all good

marnold
December 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Another point that can be made is the purchase of higher end product because one records and for that reason buys the higher end cable. I am practicing in a 10x11 room with a AD30VT and a Epi Jr, would high end cable really provide the value for my purpose?
Good question. I remember when I hooked up our DVD player when we first got it, I used some cheapy RCA cables to connect it to the T.V. It worked. I ended up getting more expensive, but well less than $30, cables later. I popped in one of the Star Wars prequel DVDs since they have some of the best audio quality of the ones we own. Without telling my wife which were which, we A/B'd the two. The more expensive ones were noticeably better. It was night and day. In that one instance I can say it was money well spent.

I'm like you in a small room with my AD30VT. I've already got a couple el cheapo cables. I've also got some semi-nice ones that aren't terribly expensive (a bit less than $20). I'd like to get a known-low-capacitance cable and actually see if I hear any difference and if I do, does the better cable sound better to me?

Reminds me of that story (was it posted here?) where someone talked about how SRV preferred cheap Radio Shack cables because he liked how the extra capacitance affected his tone. Who am I to argue with Stevie? Having said that, I don't know how many people would agree with him.

tjcurtin1
December 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
when I see beginners with les pauls and boutique amps complaining about the pickups and action issues or the tonality of the speaker.... , I have to bite my lip.

This is a good reminder (along with the rest of Andy's post). We have the luxury of the best for less, and the distinctions we are talking about now (in this thread) are pretty fine ones, when you compare to how it used to be, when an inexpensive guitar meant poor sounding and hard to play.

just strum
December 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm like you in a small room with my AD30VT. I've already got a couple el cheapo cables. I've also got some semi-nice ones that aren't terribly expensive (a bit less than $20). I'd like to get a known-low-capacitance cable and actually see if I hear any difference and if I do, does the better cable sound better to me?

I started with the cables that came with the guitars or as a cheap package that included picks and a strap. Most split near the jack within a month.

I use http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1/4in20
now and they serve the purpose very well and at a good price. I've had these for almost two years two 10', one 20' and one 1' and have had no issues. And unlike picks, I don't lose them.

markb
December 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
So, anyone willing to buy one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300279057471&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

tjcurtin1
December 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I've had these for almost two years two 10', one 20' and one 1' and have had no issues.
Except for hearing damage - talk about playing close to your amp! :D

just strum
December 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Except for hearing damage - talk about playing close to your amp! :D

It's to connect the two amps when I tape the AD30VT to one side of my head and the Valve Jr to the other. A 1' cable is much cheaper than headphones.

just strum
December 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I changed the title of this thread to "The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost" and it shows up on my edit screen, but not the main screen.

So, for the record, the title is

The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

This morning it's changed - if someone went in and made the change - thanks.

tjcurtin1
December 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
It's to connect the two amps when I tape the AD30VT to one side of my head and the Valve Jr to the other. A 1' cable is much cheaper than headphones.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :bravo:

Gil Janus
December 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
And it really helps in developing those badly needed neck muscles :dude: :rockon: :DR :R

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM
So, anyone willing to buy one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300279057471&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

Good example. Now if there is value that = cost, could someone explain. I know it would have no value to me, but who would find it necessary outside of someone that is recording professionally, to need this?

tot_Ou_tard
December 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I changed the title of this thread to "The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost" and it shows up on my edit screen, but not the main screen.

So, for the record, the title is

The Great Pick/Gear Debate and the Value of the Additional Cost

This morning it's changed - if someone went in and made the change - thanks.
I thought that the title was:

Wherein Strummy Discovers Tonal Bliss Using a Woolly Mammoth Pick on a Squier & Spends the Rest of His Days as an Itinerant Dugain Disciple.

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I thought that the title was:

Wherein Strummy Discovers Tonal Bliss Using a Woolly Mammoth Pick on a Squier & Spends the Rest of His Days as an Itinerant Dugain Disciple.

That was the original title - you gotta keep up with the changes.

tot_Ou_tard
December 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM
That was the original title - you gotta keep up with the changes. Did they take your pick away for blasphemy?

This is the point in such a thread where somebody mumbles something about how it costs such n' so to get 90% of the tone & infinity dollars to get the remaining 10%.

wingsdad
December 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Late for the show...seems like the thread's run it's course.

But as for picks....since my 'normal' plastic or nylon picks have been free for the last 10 years or so (perk for being a good, regular customer at a mom & pop music store), I've spent a total of about 9 bucks on 3 'Pickboy' picks: one each, very thick bone, ebony and (some animal's) horn. Worth every cent for the dynamics you get using a light touch.

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I think I owe it to Vinni to post this.

Vinni contacted me yesterday regarding my doubts about the V pick. I won't go into the communication other than to say I have to give him a lot of credit. He was far more polite than I would ever have been and showed a hell of a lot of professionalism as a businessman. He also stands squarely behind his product and is confident of its value.

I still like my choice in picks, but a tip of the hat to Vinni for contacting me.

Once I give the pick another try, I will report my thoughts to Vinni and post an honest assessment.

luvmyshiner
December 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Strummy, CB has one of Vinnie's picks and I'll be honest, it's pretty damn cool. I don't use picks as a rule. Most of my playing is acoustic and I prefer using the side of my thumb (which has built up a nice callous:) ), and on the rare occasion that I do play electric, I don't use a pick. But I could immediately tell a difference in the sound of the V-Pick, and I really like how sturdy it is.

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Strummy, CB has one of Vinnie's picks and I'll be honest, it's pretty damn cool. I don't use picks as a rule. Most of my playing is acoustic and I prefer using the side of my thumb (which has built up a nice callous:) ), and on the rare occasion that I do play electric, I don't use a pick. But I could immediately tell a difference in the sound of the V-Pick, and I really like how sturdy it is.

I had one briefly and I didn't hear a difference between my 2.0mm and 3.0mm Stubby's, but again, I will report back.

It could be the equipment, it could be a tin ear, or it could be I'm right. The one thing that I would say about it right now, it probably provides a greater range with different angles of attack than the others I mentioned.

Oh, and it will definitely differ from your thumb.:D