PDA

View Full Version : Green cheapo Telecaster

Blaze
December 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Its a cheapo one but i like the color ..

http://www.fretcity.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=310&category_id=50

Blazes

Spudman
December 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
That looks kind of cool. Maybe it plays and sounds good. I like that the neck pickup is adjustable without taking the pick guard off.:AOK:
http://www.fretcity.com/shop/images/ii_479.jpeg

Kazz
December 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Do people actually use the neck pup on a tele?

Tibernius
December 11th, 2008, 07:23 AM

I've found it's good if you want a very bassy sound (so good for Metal) but not much good for anything else. At least on mine.

Blaze
December 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I am tempted, I have very good pick ups available if necessary and for once that is in Canadian funds.

http://www.fretcity.com/shop/images/ii_480.jpeg

http://www.fretcity.com/shop/images/ii_485.jpeg

Home > Guitar > Guitar Reviews > J&D Jack And Danny Brothers > Telecaster

J&D Jack And Danny Brothers Telecaster
Summary
Similar Products Gibson J-45 Modern Classic Mahogany Acoustic-Electric Guitar @ Musician's Friend
Dean Playmate J 7/8 Size Acoustic Guitar @ Musician's Friend
Gibson J.D. Crowe Black Jack Banjo @ Musician's Friend
Manufacturer URL http://www.jandd-guitars.com/
Features 9.0 (3 responses)
Sound 10.0 (3 responses)
Action, Fit, & Finish 9.0 (3 responses)
Reliability/Durability 9.7 (3 responses)
Customer Support 10.0 (1 response)
Overall Rating 10.0 (3 responses)
Submit a review for this product!

Product: J&D Jack And Danny Brothers Telecaster
Price Paid: $350 (australian dollars)
Submitted 12/15/2005 at 05:11pm by Ken
Email: ken dot hepburn<at>mail2me dot com dot au

Features : 10
Its a telecaster, 2 single coil alnico p/ups and 3 way switch. Alder body specs are as in other reviews. Maple neck is great, pretty chunky - I love it. Stays in tune as good as any, of course changes in temperature etc make it wander the usual amount. Rosewood fretboard, smooth as silk. Came with gig bag. I'll give it 10 because it has everything a tele should have!

Sound : 10
I play many blues styles, some 70's rock - blues rock. amp is a fender skx 35r. I play with no extra effects. Yes, obviosly there is the single coil hum - no worse than any other ( except noiseless of course). I don't have a problem with this, don't think it bothered many guitar legends either. This guitar sounds great. It's a tele through and through. I can't pick the differnce, maybe you can. A sound I can more than live with. Love all pickup combinations. It's got all the tele sounds.

Action, Fit, & Finish : 9
People remark at the quality finish of this guitar. Looks well above its price range. Cream binding on body, sunburst finish is quite stunning. Pickups were adjusted fine. All the hardware is good. action was not quite suited to my personal touch so altered it to suit. Took a couple of weeks of fine tuning to get it how I wanted, no fret buzz, now it has a beautiful action. all controls are good. smooth switching between pickups vol and tone great.

Reliability/Durability : 10
I' not playing in a band, but this guitar has given me no reason to suspect its anything other than rock solid. I play it 1 or 2 hours most evenings - no probs. I'm sure this guitar can withstand live playing - why wouldn't it? Unless, I suppose, if you want to beat it against the stage floor or something

Customer Support : No Opinion
12 month warranty from shop. Nothing gone wrong, It's a tele, what can go wrong?

Overall Rating : 10
Been playing 20 years, mainly acoustic until last few years where electric has taken over. I had played this guitar in shop on several occaisions over a period of about six months so I knew what I was getting. If it went missing I would certainly find another one in fact I've already got my eye on an a natural finish with maple fret board to add to the collection. Also have 1974 Aria sg real beaut and yamaha 1212a through neck ebony fret board, 1974 antoria acoustic - great guitar but tele is no. 1 player. mainly because it suits my styles beter.

Price Paid: 199.00 (AU)
Submitted 04/02/2004 at 09:03pm by Glenn
Email: gjen7935<at>bigpond dot net dot au

Features : 9
I bought this guitar new. Not sure what year this guitar was made but I would say 2003. Chinese made by the sticker on rear of headstock but I never would have guessed because it is a brillant guitar. Rosewood slab, maple neck with 22 frets and great shape that fits my hand like a glove and plays like a dream. Didn't need any tweaking on arrival, just tuned, checked intonation and action (both spot-on) and played.
Body is alder in gloss finished blonde showing nice wood-grain. Cream binding around top edge of body looks professionally done and really sets it off. Good quality tuners, look similar to what would be found on maybe a squire. My only gripe with them is that they are too highly geared for me which makes fine tuning a bit harder but no big deal. Two great sounding single coils (Alnico I think), string-through body and three/double bridge saddles--typical tele setup.
The guitar was part of a package ebay auction from MissionMusic.com in Mission Beach in North Q'land. The package included a 15w amp, quality gig-bag, guitar strap and lead. I paid peanuts for a guitar that I consider to be of outstanding quality.

I have two Fender Strats and always in the back of my mind though about buying a tele. Well I wasn't dissapointed with this. It doesn't have Fender on the headstock but it sure sounds like one. Has all the low down tele growl and high end bite I was looking for, and the country twang?, yeah it's there as well. Very impressed.
I play almost all styles and I gotta say this will fill them all(maybe not metal, but that's not the teles scene).
I play this through a 40w marshall and it is very quiet which testifies to the pickup and electronics quality

As I stated earlier, the action and setup were great right out of the box, just required tuning. Could not fault the fit and finish from the neck fit to the beautifully finished bound alder body, string/bridge/nut alignment, nut cut, electronics and hardware All are exceptional.
I'll deduct 1 point for the neck colour which for my taste is too pale. Could quite easily be corrected though which I will do. My personal preference is a more aged, yellowed look.

Reliability/Durability : 9
This guitar will match it with any tele for live giging. It is as solid as a rock, looks good and sounds great. Why would you leave it at home. I haven't had it that long or had a look at the internals but judging by the feel/sound of the switch and pots, I have no reason to feel worried about a gig failure.
I will rate it a 9 instead of a 10 only because electronic reliability is unknown at this time.

Customer Support : 10
Too early to need customer support just yet but I'm sure MissionMusic would look after me no problems as they are very friendly and helpful

I have been playing for around 30 years and this addition adds to my two Fender strats and two Maton acoustics, and doesn't look or sound out of place.
If it were lost or stolen I would purchase another without a second thought.
If you are after a tele and can see past the headstock brand and place of manufacture you won't be dissapointed with this silent and little known (as yet) gem.

Price Paid: AU (405)
Submitted 10/25/2003 at 05:40am by Sam
Email: Green_eggs_no_ham at hotmail<dot>com

Features : 8
AU$405 (you wouldnt think it). Australian made. Maple neck and fretboard. Natural timber finish on body. Body timber is solid maple i think (hard to tell). Seems odd to use maple in a body, but the honey blonde colour is pretty unique, no laminate. 21 frets. One tone and one volume, neck and bridge single coil pick-ups with a three way switch (it is a tele afterall). Not sure of pickup model but damn they sound nice. Nice variation between the neck and bridge, both passive.
Body is classic 1950s tele style (lovely), tele-style string through body, nice cutaway, smooth edges, beautifull finish. flawless. White pickgaurd. Headstock is beautifull. as close as possible to tele without breaking any laws. As for tuners, again, not sure, they seem to be exactly the same as mexican strats. no accesories.

I give it a 7 simply because its a tele. No-frills. If you want features buy a strat. If you want sound however, buy a tele.

Suits most styles of play (although doesn't make a great metal axe). Great for the jazz-rock that i like to play. Using it with no effects at the moment, through either a 120w stereo system (works fine) on which it sounds beautifull and clean, or a 110w peavey amp, which sounds clean and clear on the neck pickup, and nice and bitey on the bridge. Not noisy in anyway. great variation between pickups, Nice bright, clear sound. Not a great heavy rock guitar, doesn't have the power, but it's damn nice for soloing, jazz, roots, and light rock. Love it all.

On arrival, the neck was slightly bent back (maybe 2 or 3 degrees). when the ist and 12th frets were depressed, the string just touched the 7th. was corrected easily with an allan key took all of 5 minutes. Probably bent due to the fact that it was shipped with strings, they probably over-adjusted. All electronics were perfect. Finish is excellent, really beautifull.

Reliability/Durability : 10
I haven't really tested it in the area of durability, and don't plan to, it's too damn good looking. But by all impressions it seems very sturdy. It is a tele afterall. These things and cockroaches are the only things able to survive nuclear warfare. Would use it in a gig. Definately. Prefer it to my mates mexican tele (no bias). Depending on your style you might want to pack a strat, or something with some meat for really heavy tunes, but alternatively, you could use a cheap pre-amp. With a little tweaking it would do fine.

Customer Support : No Opinion
Havent had to use it. But the company is Australia based. which is always handy for us aussies.

been playing for roughly 5 years. All others guitars i own are accoustic (all what, 2 of them). If stolen, i would definately replace it, the only thing i would consider changing would be the colour. For changes sake. the natural blonde is delicious though.

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Are you kidding? That's some of the best single coil blues you'd ever hear son. Very Strat like and some people even play both pickups at the same time for that wunnerful hollow Tele sound. :master:

markb
December 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Go listen to some old Stax recordings. The neck pickup on a tele is a fantastic tone, nicer IMO than a strat front pickup. It also thickens up beautifully by backing off the tone control. Add overdrive for faux humbucker tones. Teles are extremely versatile and can cover a lot of tonal ground just by using the tone and volume knobs.

Blaze
December 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I think the Telecaster as the Lespaul is extremly versatile because of the change in tone between pick ups and tone controls.

You can play rock, jazz, country, pop etc with these guitars while a Strato has a Strato specific sound .

We always tends to think that most of the boys play the Tele on the bridge pick up but this is not the case, I would say it depends on your style and on the music you play...

We have a debate :AOK:

Blazes

markb
December 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I think the Telecaster as the Lespaul is extremly versatile because of the change in tone between pick ups and tone controls.

You can play rock, jazz, country, pop etc with these guitars while a Strato has a Strato specific sound .

Blazes

Exactly how I feel. The strat does 3 variations of the same tone (plus those 2 in between sounds which I'll conveniently ignore for the sake of argument :) ) which come from three (originally) identical pickups differentiated only by their position along the strings. The tele has two vastly different sounding pickups for a wider tonal range. Also, is it just me, or does anyone else think that teles are much more responsive to tone and volume controls than strats? Gibsons really get interesting with both pickups on and dialling in colour using that 4 knob palette for my tastes.

Having said all that I've found that you can coax lots of variations out of a strat. Having tone controls on all pickups helps.

Algonquin
December 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Pretty cool looking little guitar for not a lot of cash. I'd seen that one myself not to long ago. They've got a few (cheesey) video's on YouTube, but nothing with this Tele at the moment.
25MfXFKPFI0&feature=channel