PDA

View Full Version : Michael Franti - Free song

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM
He and his band Spearhead wrote one to give away in honor of President elect Barack Obama.

Here: http://c.ilike.com/d/0000/355/0000355420.mp3fn=Michael%20Franti%20&%20Spearhead-Obama%20S ong.mp3 It should go straight to downloading.

If that does not work and you want it, you can get it here:

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Michael+Franti+%2526+Spearhead

R_of_G
December 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Meh, it's alright.

Don't get me wrong, I love Franti, but not all of his stuff does it for me. I trend towards preferring some of his edgier stuff, which is not surprising since I first discovered him through his "Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy" project. This new song is alright, but a little too light for me, both in terms of musicality and politics. Without getting into the politics specifically, I have come to expect much deeper thought from Franti than this.

Also, I absolutely despise handclaps in songs. It's the most over-used technique ever.

Still, thanks for posting. It's good to know other people like Franti. :)

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I kinda agree. I'm not saying it is his best song musically. And I don't want to get anywhere near politics and I view it as a light celebration piece. Not much other than a party song. But it is a nice gesture and kinda fun free candy so I passed it on. I added him as a Facebook (facecult?;) ) friend and he sent out a note when he released it.

R_of_G
December 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Oh I agree with you on all counts. Definitely worth a listen, and definitely cool of Franti to give it away for free. He's an artist that is typically very good to his fans.

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I had another thought when you mentioned fans. The song does lend itself to endless improv both vocally and musically live. He could extend it and get into all sorts of stuff then. I saw comments on his facebook page saying they liked the studio version but could not wait to see it live. He has been here twice and I hope he comes up here again.

R_of_G
December 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
He's pretty interesting live, and definitely jams out some of the songs. He does tend to say "How you feelin'?" an awful lot (it's actually become a bit of an in joke with my group of friends) but still, he puts on a good show. If you get a chance you should go see him.

Geraint Jones
December 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I will always remember seeing him and Spearhead at Glastonbury in 1995 ,they were fantastic live, a real unexpected gem .