PDA

View Full Version : Li'l ol' me... a truck driver????

Katastrophe
December 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
As most of you know (unless you've been under a rock or are independently wealthy), the times... well, they hard.

Been looking for a job, and I think I may have found it.

Driving an 18 wheeler.

The money's decent, there are good benefits.

If I accept the offer, I go to training at the end of this month for 3 weeks. Upon completion of the training and earning my CDL I would be hired on full time with the company, and would go on the road with a "mentor" for 6 weeks. I would have the choice at the end of that time to choose "over the road" driving (going everywhere, including Canada, I think), or a regional route related to specific areas of the US.

What say you, fellow Fretters? Am I making a huge mistake, or making the right choice?

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Ask them to be a tour driver for a top music act hauling guitars and amphs! Good luck with your decision.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
As most of you know (unless you've been under a rock or are independently wealthy), the times... well, they hard.

Been looking for a job, and I think I may have found it.

Driving an 18 wheeler.

The money's decent, there are good benefits.

If I accept the offer, I go to training at the end of this month for 3 weeks. Upon completion of the training and earning my CDL I would be hired on full time with the company, and would go on the road with a "mentor" for 6 weeks. I would have the choice at the end of that time to choose "over the road" driving (going everywhere, including Canada, I think), or a regional route related to specific areas of the US.

What say you, fellow Fretters? Am I making a huge mistake, or making the right choice?

Just imagine driving around a 18-wheeler while listening to a lot of great country music stations.. and chewing tobacco!

The downside could be that you would be on the road a lot, and not be able to spend all the time that you would want with baby K.

bigoldron
December 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Like you said, times are hard and money's tight. If you've got a job, then make the most of it. Have you been looking long? If so, then yeah, you're probably doing the right thing. If it's the first thing you came across, then you might want to keep looking, but don't burn any bridges in case things fall through.

Good luck to you either way!

oldguy
December 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've never driven an 18-wheeler, but I know people who do. Most of them say the money's good, if they get a turnaround where they're home on the weekends it's bearable, the big city turnpikes are no fun, and they have to be very thorough with their logbooks................ I'm probably forgetting some things, but I imagine someone else will chime in soon.
I pretty sure there are a couple of other members who do (or have) driven them for a living.
Best of luck to you whatever your decision.:)

just strum
December 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hey, it would be interesting. You are not in a position where you have to do it forever and you just might like that open road experience. Plus there aren't too many jobs where you can bring your acoustic along for the ride.

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
PS - There's major construction on I-40 here in Albuquerque so be prepared for slow moving traffic. :)

sumitomo
December 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Breaker 1-9 Breaker 1-9 can ya hear me good buddy.Go for it,its worth a try.Sumi:D I drove cement mixers and material trucks when I was younger (20's)it was fun.

ted s
December 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Whatever you choose will be right for you Kat, if it doesn't work out, it's an experience.
BUT.... watch out for the guy in the black TransAm..
Also.. you gotta get a primate.

http://photos5.flickr.com/10408049_098e26be6e_o.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/20/apes_wideweb__470x342,0.jpg

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10271276.jpg

just strum
December 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Ted, is that your way of saying he might get to ride with Clint?:rotflmao:

street music
December 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hey KAT, one of my brothers is a truck driver that delivers new rigs all over the US. He retired from IH and started delivering trucks all over and really likes doing it. It gives him a chance to see parts of the US that he never had been too before. I just got my CDL papers renewed today and might look into to doing the same thing a few years down the road.

peachhead
December 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I've heard folks say good and bad about it, just like every other job. If you can get enough time at home, and don't mind being by yourself a lot, then it may be just what you're looking for.

Good luck on your decision either way!

ted s
December 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ted, is that your way of saying he might get to ride with Clint?:rotflmao:

Now that you mention it.... ya !

Katastrophe
December 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Chalk this one up as a no-go. Can't afford the time away from home to go to school, with bills and Christmas.

Gonna have to try another route (lame pun intended).

I think I might just stop posting these "think I found a new job" threads until I've actually found one.

Thanks for the support, guys. Y'all are the greatest.:AOK: