PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safety PSA from Plaxico - NWS

Plank_Spanker
December 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Not work safe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA

Algonquin
December 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm just tryin' to help the kids Dog!... I'm just tryin' to help the kids. :rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
LMAO. I wonder if he was the only one on that roof that was professional enough to carry a gun like that other dawg from youtube.

rAVYFRM5Tl8

SERIOUSLY THOUGH guns can be dangerous if you don't know how to handle them correctly and yes even among "professionals" they can be deadly. Treat everyone of them as if they were loaded...keep your fingers off the trigger...never point them at anyone for any reason unless you plan to shoot (duh)...and never...never buy a Glock. :AOK:

Ch0jin
December 11th, 2008, 09:04 PM
)...and never...never buy a Glock. :AOK:

Why? Admittedly I've no idea about handguns, I started with rifles and shotguns then assault rifles, then machine guns and RPG's and somehow missed out on handguns, but I thought Glocks were supposed to be great sidearms.

Tone2TheBone
December 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Why? Admittedly I've no idea about handguns, I started with rifles and shotguns then assault rifles, then machine guns and RPG's and somehow missed out on handguns, but I thought Glocks were supposed to be great sidearms.

I'm on team H & K that's why woooof woooof woooof! My USP 40 works just like a Colt 1911. Has the thumb safety. For me it is very easy to unchamber a round and have a very clear visual on an empty chamber/barrel with my H & K. I always empty the handgun with the magazine removed and work the slide back twice to ensure there is no round chambered then engage the slide release lock.

Ch0jin
December 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Ah OK, I understand.

I had gun safety hammered into me as a 14/15 year old when my old man and his mates started taking me out Roo and Rabbit shooting. And I do mean "hammered". All guys present were given permission to belt me if I did something wrong. Probably sounds harsh in todays PC society, but a few smacks in the back of the head made me learn REAL fast, and after years of shooting (until we got our guns taken away...) the only injury's anyone in our group received were from bush ticks (ouch) and I did have some unusual burns on my chest after one night spotlighting for foxes. We were driving around in an old ute, I was crouched in the back holding a giant spotlight and my dad was too my left trying out my newly modded SKK.

"There's one, hold the spot steady"
"BBBRRRRRAAAAAAAAP"
"holy crap this thing kicks"
"AAAARGGGGGHHHH (from me as 20 hot brass casings fall down the front of my half unbuttoned shirt")

OK new rules. Shooters with automatic/semi automatic weapons need to check what side their weapons eject from before picking their spot in the ute!!

Oh just reminiscing out loud as I am, I also recall getting some pretty hard core bruising a few times from trying out things like an old Enfield 303 (how did ppl fight wars with those things), an M1 Carbine on full auto (I didn't have it shouldered correctly) and a 12 Gague Brunelli with solids. Man that thing KICKED. You could blow holes through car doors with it tho.

What else.... Oh I was using a real old hex barrel .22 cadet rifle when the round exploded in the breech. Scared the crap out of all of us. I didn't drop the rifle, but I was deaf for maybe 15 seconds. I was about 15 and had no idea what happened and I could just hear ringing and see ppls lips moving. I ejected the round and there was a hole in the brass right near the base. That rifle was immediately retired.

Ah good times.

Anyway, sorry for thread hijack :)

Bloozcat
December 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM

I was in the firearms business when the Glock 17 first came out. Shortly after it's roll out, there were a number of incidents of police officers shooting themselves in the leg when drawing the weapon in stressful situations. The combination of the lack of a manual safety, poor training/trigger finger discipline, and the abundance of adrenaline caused the mishaps.

As Tone said, even professionals need to be ever vigilant in practicing firearms safety. As an NRA rifle and pistol instructor myself, I'm constantly preaching it.

peachhead
December 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
As Tone said, even professionals need to be ever vigilant in practicing firearms safety. As an NRA rifle and pistol instructor myself, I'm constantly preaching it.

+1 - I totally agree.

But man, that Plaxico clip was sure funny. :D

Spudman
December 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Tone
That video is tragically funny. I was wondering if something was going to happen then "blam" it did. I'm kind of stunned but laughing anyway. Is that wrong?:o :D

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Tone
That video is tragically funny. I was wondering if something was going to happen then "blam" it did. I'm kind of stunned but laughing anyway. Is that wrong?:o :D

That was my reaction as well after the first time I came across that vid. My favorite part was when he gestured a finger snap as if to say "shoot I can't believe I did that" after the handgun went off. My other favorite part was when he asked for the other firearm and everyone started to get up and they all exclaimed nooooooo!