PDA

View Full Version : LC callling DVM....come in DVM

LagrangeCalvert
December 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
My bassist (yes I own him) and forum member Fat Strings, is in a bit of a pickle. He wants a bass OD pedal, but the ones he has played he just hasn't liked. He wants to keep his original tone intact BUT wants a warm organic overdrive without the tube price - I know a lot to ask......... any suggestions?

LC

marnold
December 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'm not DVM, nor do I play him on T.V., but from the TalkBass forums I've heard people have great success using SansAmp BDDIs or the new VT Bass pedal for overdrive. That'd be the first place I'd look.

LagrangeCalvert
December 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm not DVM, nor do I play him on T.V., but from the TalkBass forums I've heard people have great success using SansAmp BDDIs or the new VT Bass pedal for overdrive. That'd be the first place I'd look.

Thats the only one he said he "liked" ..... but hes a total gear freak like me....

I'm glad someone agrees with him... this might help.

ty marnold

:beer:

Algonquin
December 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm not DVM, nor do I play him on T.V.
Thanks Matt :AOK: , I needed that!

duhvoodooman
December 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not DVM, nor do I play him on T.V., but...
...you definitely have a more informed opinion on this than I do!

Seriously, I haven't played around with any bass OD pedals nor educated myself on the topic. Rev Rawk's suggestions are better than anything I would be able to offer.

You might also want to take a look through a couple of the more popular bass player's forums or do a topic search at some of the DIY pedal forums, like BYOC's or DIYstompboxes.com.

Here's a thread I found via Google that may be worth looking through:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/instruments-guitar-bass-amps/107620-best-overdrive-pedal-bass.html

LagrangeCalvert
December 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
...you definitely have a more informed opinion on this than I do!

Seriously, I haven't played around with any bass OD pedals nor educated myself on the topic. Rev Rawk's suggestions are better than anything I would be able to offer.

You might also want to take a look through a couple of the more popular bass player's forums or do a topic search at some of the DIY pedal forums, like BYOC's or DIYstompboxes.com.

Here's a thread I found via Google that may be worth looking through:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/instruments-guitar-bass-amps/107620-best-overdrive-pedal-bass.html

ty DVM.....I had to ask as you are the pedal man around here..... so thanks for even pointing me in the right direction..... TY again.

Andy
December 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
can I add to the sansamp reccomendation? that is one awesome piece of gear for bass tones (and Guitar).

Fat Strings
December 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
This is true. I explained to the guy at GC that I was looking for the SVTCL tube sound, without that $1600 price tag. I brought the pedal that I currently use....Danelectro FabO...not a bad pedal. It does the trick and makes for a neat effect esp on a bass. Now where the issue comes in....once I kick it in....my low end disappears....scary! So I played a BBE free fuzz to start.......not....what....I....had.........in mind... So he suggested trying the sansamp bd pedal.. Hooked it up and holy jesus! the flexibility, tone, drive, amazing! I really dig the blend feature on this pedal. Plus you can use it as an active DI. I'm going to do some more research as this pedal is retailing for $200....I'm wanting to try some pedals with pre-amp tubes in them....12ax7, 12au7, 12at7.....see how those do me....I shall update, also, I appreciate everyone's opinion, past and future!

FS

marnold
December 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
So he suggested trying the sansamp bd pedal.. Hooked it up and holy jesus! the flexibility, tone, drive, amazing! I really dig the blend feature on this pedal. Plus you can use it as an active DI. I'm going to do some more research as this pedal is retailing for $200.
Make sure to check out that VT Bass pedal from SansAmp too. From what they're saying on TalkBass, if you like the BDDI, you'll love the VT Bass. There is no DI on that pedal so you'll miss out on that. It does have a mid control which the BDDI lacks (which many consider to be its greatest failing). It retails for about $50 less too.

Fat Strings
December 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Make sure to check out that VT Bass pedal from SansAmp too. From what they're saying on TalkBass, if you like the BDDI, you'll love the VT Bass. There is no DI on that pedal so you'll miss out on that. It does have a mid control which the BDDI lacks (which many consider to be its greatest failing). It retails for about $50 less too.

right on man! I'll be sure to check that out. :AOK:
On a side note, I've been checking youtube to actually hear (or hear the best I can) how these different pedals sound.
Thanks again!

FS