PDA

View Full Version : A Small Portion of Rodent....

duhvoodooman
December 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
....specifically my Rabid Rodent distortion pedal, a modified build of the BYOC "Mighty Mouse" kit, which is itself a modified clone of the venerable ProCo Rat circuit.

I was fooling around with my Epi Elitist LP Std. played through my Fender Blues Jr., with the output to my Drive 2x12 speaker cab rather than the onboard speaker. I was intentionally looking for a bigger and somewhat darker sound than Blues Jr. will normally do. Then, to push it into Marshall-land, I added in the Rodent. Pedal settings were the stock Rat-style silicon diode clipping (rotary switch position 1) with the Sustain (distortion gain) set to 11 o'clock and the Filter at about 1:30, to roll off some treble (this Filter control takes treble off clockwise). The LP was set to the bridge pickup for the majority of the clip, but there is an overlay of a few notes through the neck pickup near the end. I was quite pleased with the tone--pretty much spot-on what I was going for. The recording sounds a little darker than the actual playing did, but it's pretty close.

BTW, first person to recognize the "source material" wins....my undying admiration! ;) :D

http://www.box.net/shared/lrzcope0n9

Pedal pic (this one is Childbride's, actually):

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/mouse_v.2/CB_RR_top.jpg

sunvalleylaw
December 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Very cool sounds. I don't have an LP, but I will have to mess around to see if I can get that Marshally sound dialed in.

Blaze
December 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Great sounding pedal DVM ,nice tone , keep on makin demo to hear all the tones comin from this powerfull mouse..

marnold
December 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
BTW, first person to recognize the "source material" wins....my undying admiration! ;) :D
Hey Joe, where ya goin' with that guitar in your hand?

More gainy/hard-rocky than Joe B. tends to be, but I've never had a problem with bonus gain.

SuperSwede
December 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Excellent sounding pedal!

Algonquin
December 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I'm glad to see this was a pedal review and not a review of your favourite restaurant :thwap:

Cool sounding pedal DVM, and a great job recording it as well :AOK: Great post!

SuperSwede
December 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I'm glad to see this was a pedal review and not a review of your favourite restaurant :thwap:
!

Actually, this is a review of his favorite restuarant.

http://www.terrierman.com/ratfood.htm

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Very cool sounds. I don't have an LP, but I will have to mess around to see if I can get that Marshally sound dialed in.
You should be able to get pretty close with that Viking. You'll need to keep your settings brighter, though, since that's a darker sounding guitar, I would expect.

Hey Joe, where ya goin' with that guitar in your hand?

More gainy/hard-rocky than Joe B. tends to be, but I've never had a problem with bonus gain.
I knew you'd pick this up, Rev. Just wondered if anybody else might. Yeah, it's quite a bit crunchier than Joe's version, but I really wanted to emphasize the fire-breathing dragon that the Rodent can turn my Blues Jr. into. :rockon:

For everybody else, it's my pitiful rendering of a wee bit of one of mighty Joe Bonamassa's tunes, One Of These Days. Get yourself a copy of his latest release, Live From Nowhere In Particular, and listen to how it should be played!! Last cut on the 1st CD.... :AOK: :dude:

Actually, this is a review of his favorite restuarant.

http://www.terrierman.com/ratfood.htm
I'm an adventurous eater, but I'd draw the line there, I think! Gotta admit, thought--that last photo looks pretty appetizing....if you didn't know what it was!! :eek: :puke:

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Childbride is getting a Rodent? Ooooo she's gonna love it.

Blaze
December 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
For everybody else, it's my pitiful rendering of a wee bit of one of mighty Joe Bonamassa's tunes, One Of These Days. Get yourself a copy of his latest release, Live From Nowhere In Particular

Here s the next Bonamassa ' s release

Now it's officially confirmed: the release date of the new album "The Ballad of John Henry" will be February 24th, 2009.

Mark that date on your calendars!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/3084646418_b8d04a2752_o.jpg

duhvoodooman
December 12th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Childbride is getting a Rodent? Ooooo she's gonna love it.
Getting??? She's had it for better than a week. Give the lady a chance to check it out thoroughly. There are a LOT of tones in that little box--just ask SVL! :rockon:

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Getting??? She's had it for better than a week. Give the lady a chance to check it out thoroughly. There are a LOT of tones in that little box--just ask SVL! :rockon:

I guess I haven't been paying attention it's been crazy around here ya know. ;)

sunvalleylaw
December 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
There are a LOT of tones in that little box--just ask SVL! :rockon:

I posted clips over here. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9271

See posts 44 and 58.

Not very good playing in the clips, but I really was just trying to capture sounds for display. Most all settings are recorded, though as shown above, the dials could be twisted to get so many more tones.

I don't want to muddy this thread, but thought a cross reference to other sounds might be worth it.

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Yo Steve can you email me your clips at my work address?

Suhnton
December 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Nice sounding pedal. How much does the circuit differ from the ProCo RAT?
I was never keen on the RAT sound, it just seemed too brittle sounding, but your pedal is nice and smooth.

duhvoodooman
December 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
The basic circuit is taken directly from the vintage ProCo Rat. The additions are just some switchable clipping modes on the original distortion part of the circuit, and the addition of a clipping stage in the opamp feedback loop to give a less gainy "overdrive" type of distortion more in the vein of a Tube Screamer. The total of six different clipping modes makes for one very flexible pedal!

I think the relative smoothness of the tone comes from the use of high quality components (metal flim resistors, box metallized film caps, the same LM308 opamp used in the original Rat, etc.), plus great care taken in hand-building the effect. I've sold several of these now, and everybody seems to love 'em. I sure like mine! :AOK: :rockon:

Andy
December 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I have suspicion that the Fulltone OCD is based on the RAT circuit.
is this a possability?

duhvoodooman
December 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I've read a couple of places that the OCD is not a modified Rat but rather a variation of the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive with a different clipping layout. I haven't compared the three circuits personally.

sunvalleylaw
December 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yo Steve can you email me your clips at my work address?

Sure Tone. Sorry I didn't see that before, but I just did it.