PDA

View Full Version : Daddy Mojo Cigar Box Guitars

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Great ol' style blues on these babies & they look sweet too.

They are made in Montreal.

http://www.daddy-mojo.com/index.html

Tone2TheBone
December 12th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Are these the ones with the little Chihuahua on one of them? There was supposed to be a music store up north of us that supposedly sold them but while I was on a fishing trip there I never found the shop.

Bloozcat
December 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
There's a website (maybe many) devoted to making cigar box guitars.

One of the guys here at work became fascinated with this and decided to try making one. Now, this guy doesn't play a guitar or any other instrument for that matter, and has no knowledge of how a guitar's supposed to work. So he cut a neck out of a piece of mahogany he had, scavanged some open gear tuning keys from an old junk guitar, and put it all together with three strings.

He's been in my office just about every day the last two weeks asking me why certain things he did weren't working. He made a nut and a saddle from a couple of oversized pieces of plastic and cut string slots with no regard for depth, width, or where the strings would bear on each surface. It was pretty funny, actually, to hear this thing buzz, screech, and generally sound like a cat whose tail got stuck in a mouse trap. I had to admire his determination given that he had no idea what he was doing but trying anyway. So, I started explaining about scale length, neck radius, fret slot cutting and installation of frets, proper nut construction and fitting, and proper bridge saddle construction and installation. As I explained the relationship of these things to the guitar's playability and tone, I could see this look of anxiety growing on his face. He finally said that he never thought it would be so difficult.

A few days ago he came back with a new idea: He wanted to turn his cigar box beauty into a slide only guitar. Apparently he had read enough by this time to know that this would be easier to do. So I explained to him how to set up the scale length with a reasonably well intonated bridge saddle, and how to make and set up the nut. He hasn't been back yet, but I'm sure he will be...

tot_Ou_tard
December 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Tell him to make a diddley-bow instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diddley_bow