PDA

View Full Version : What's the latest song you've learned to play on guitar?

Algonquin
December 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Following on the heels of Roberts 'What's the first song you ever learned to play on guitar' http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9589... I thought I'd do a follow up with this topic, What's the latest song you've learned to play on guitar?

For me it's the theme from the show Monk. The original version, not the Randy Newman tune. For those not familiar with the tune, here's the YouTube version.

DlS8RO2_LmQ

So what's the most recent song for you folks? :munch:

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2008, 08:25 AM
"Blue Christmas"

Fab4
December 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
A group of pros and semi-pros here in Denver are learning all of "Tommy." We'll find a venue and put it on sometime next year. The tabs at http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/tommy.htm have been helpful. I'm working on the Underture right now.

Algonquin
December 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
"Blue Christmas"
Cool :AOK: Do you sing it too?
hvlr2FgD2cQ

R_of_G
December 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Theme From Slaying Beauty by the Bambi Molesters. They are an amazing surf-rock band from Croatia.

Here's a vid for this song...

LxanY3pb11g

rkwrenn
December 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
"Blue on Black" by KWS and the theme from "The Office".

Cheers,

Bob

street music
December 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hotel California is the song that I finally have gotten a grasp on, Not great at yet but have the chords down and hope to play out the lead on it someday.
On the country end "Crazy" is my latest song.

thearabianmage
December 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
A few, actually, due to uni. The first is a song called 'Windy and Warm' by J.D. Loudermilk (only the first minute and a half - as required for my exam) and apart from that, we've had to do American Idiot (. . .), Substitute, Te-ni-ne-ni-nu, Riverboat Song, Three Time Loser, Purple Haze, You Shook Me All Night Long, White Room, and Should I Stay Or Should I Go. All in the last month.

just strum
December 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm working on blues and a lot of scale work. I'm also teaching myself to read music, so I haven't been focusing on complete songs, but more on what goes into a song and what makes it work.

Robert
December 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I tend to learn new songs at open mic jams. Some guy plays acoustic and sings, and I follow along. After a verse and chorus, I know the song. Last time I think there were a few Neil Young tunes.

tjcurtin1
December 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I tend to learn new songs at open mic jams. Some guy plays acoustic and sings, and I follow along. After a verse and chorus, I know the song. Last time I think there were a few Neil Young tunes.
Grrr... and probably with one hand tied behind your back!:master: Why does it take me so long to learn a new song! Having said that, I guess I can see that I AM getting quicker as I go along, so there is some hope. I know that the level of mastery and ear training and chord shape familiarity have to make it more intuitive.

Latest songs: Santa Lucia (for school), Hide Your Love Away, Time of your Life, Big Sciota (bluegrass tune)

Robert
December 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah Ted, ear training is sooooo useful. I recommend doing it several times a week. Eventually you can "see" the chords on the guitar as you hear a song on the radio.

M29
December 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I have been working on Theme For An Imaginary Western. The Mountain version. A little tab which I don't care for and just listening for the chords and lead. I usually find a root note on the 6th string and go from there.

I am looking for Fire Down Below to mess with by Bob Seger. Sounds like a fun lead to learn. Pretty basic but that is where I am at.

M

Tibernius
December 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Latest song I've learnt for college was "Iris".
The latest songs I've learnt for me are "Gainesville Rock City" and "Knights of Cydonia".

pes_laul
December 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Latest song I've learnt for college was "Iris".
The latest songs I've learnt for me are "Gainesville Rock City" and "Knights of Cydonia".
by the goo goo dolls?

could you get me tabs or something?

sunvalleylaw
December 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Cool :AOK: Do you sing it too?

LOL!

Nah, just instrumental, and rhythm at that. To play along with my old instructor when we did some Christmas tunes at a craft fair. There were a few other new Christmas tunes as well, but that one was the latest.