PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of EASY TAB?

street music
December 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Since I have trying to learn on my own and I don't read music I have been using the EASY TAB guitar version books to learn from. How do forum members feel about these books if you have ever used them. I hope that with the use of videos and the books that I am getting enough resources to help without going backwards from the real songs.

Robert
December 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Never heard of them. Hope you learn from them - I never learned from tabs much myself.

tot_Ou_tard
December 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I've wondered what makes it EASY, is it just simplified versions of songs?

What style of music are you working on Street?

street music
December 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I have several books that are printed in the EASY TAB version, from Johnny Cash to Eagles, CCR, Beatles and a Led Zep too. I'm working a few songs that I'm trying to get the lead down and then I'll go back and do some rythm work.
Myson, Kodiak , got me the Credence Clearwater greatest hits book and I unwrapped it last night, that will keep me busy for awhile. I'm glad that there atr simple versions so that someone without great talent can make a little noise, sometimes I find a note or two that doesn't just fit.

tot_Ou_tard
December 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Whatever works is good.

One day you'll be able to play a Cash/Eagles/CCR/Beatles/Zep medley.

TS808
December 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I think tab in general is helpful and useful, as long as the tab is accurate. One of the problems on alot of sites is that some of the tabs that are contributed are often incaccurate, and even sometimes in the wrong key.

You can still find alot of good, online TAB sites that are FREE. Most are based outside of the US because of the legal entanglements. The best site was PowerTabs before they got closed down due to lawsuit threats.

TAB is helpful for a number of reasons; it allows you to learn a song as well as get a feeling for the different techniques and scales used in a song.

If it's helpful, definitely go for it. I would suggest looking at some of the online TAB sites too...for a beginner and even an intermediate player they can at first be difficult, but they'll only make you a better player.

Not everyone has the ability to learn by ear...I'm one of those people. I can pick up sections of songs, but not the entire song as often the notes for me get lost in the mix....I tend to hear everything and sometimes have difficulty just focusing on the guitar parts.

It's good to use TAB and try to learn by ear. As far as the TAB goes; go for it; it's not going to hurt anything.

Andy
December 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
The music reader elite types despise tab.

I figure anything that helps is good. once you learn a few songs thru tab
you can incorperate what you have learned into your playing.
I took 3 years of music theory yet I still resort to tab most often, it's definately alot simpler. and in many cases the only written notation available for modern guitar.
As Martha would say
TAB... it's a good thing